1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grainy picture

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Marc, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    grainy picture on DVD's

I have recently bought a Sony KF42SX300 television, and when watching DVD's some scenes seem very grainy, whereas others are very clear. It's usually distance shots with grain and closeups which ar clear. Is this normal for watching DVD's on a big television, or do i have a problem somewhere?

I have a Pioneer DV717 for playing the DVD's which is a bit old now i suppose, and i also have a fairly bog standard RGB scart cable. Would a more expensive scart cable remove the grain effect, or do i need to buy a new DVD player, or do i just have to put up with it?

Hope someone can shed some light..

cheers

Marc

2. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure the DVD is connected to the RGB scart on the TV and that the DVD player is set to output RGB. If you've got it connected to a composite only scart then that could be the problem.

I'd certainly get a decent quality scart cable anyway, it made a big difference on my old TV when I upgraded from the bog standard.

At least if you use a good scart you'll know if its a problem with the TV or DVD player and then if you've still got grain try borrowing a mate's DVD player to see if the problem lies there.

I'd suggest a Thor or Ixos scart cable.