grainy Picture Quality on new PS3 and LCD TV

jmct065

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi ALL,
I'm new to this AV game and looking for a bit of guidance, please excuse the lack of technical terms.
I purchased a New 1080P LCD before christmas (Philips 52PFL7762) & a PS3.
During Playback of a few Blu-ray disks, I have noted that the picture can sometimes appear very "grainy". I have noticed the problem during the playback of the latest POTC, Planet Earth box set, 300, Flags of our Fathers.
80% of the time the Picture is amazing, the grainy picture becomes very bad when there is a scene with Low light levels.
I have connected the PS3 to the LCD via HDMI.
I have tried several different resolutions and Picture settings on the TV to no avail.
Any advise would be great.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards,
John.

Yes i get the same from my samsung LE40R73BDX, i also have tried loads of different options and tweaking settings. to be honest with u i think that your not going to get an amaizing picture with every scence, just imagine how this footage was taken, pitch black no lighting, and footage taken a mile away from sum animals so they was not disturbed. its not going to be perfect even in HD. I found the best way around it is to set your tv to a low colour level but a warm setting. like movie or just standard works fine on my tv. recducing the colour def helps. give it a try. but its not your tv so dont worry just the way it was shot.

Not sure with film camera’s but with still cam’s to shoot in low light without flash you have to increase your ISO to maintain a useable shutter speed, this induces noise as you are in effect turning up the gain on your CCD sensor, this creates Noise on the picture, maybe this is what you are seeing??

Thanks for your reply.
I'm a bit relieved that someone else has the same observation.
I can now tell my missues that that's the way it's supposed to be and yes dear we were right to spend all that money.
Thanks again.
John.

With Planet Earth as well, not every scene was shot in HD...

Thanks Winstano,
That makes perfect sense. the aerial photography is amazing, however some of the other scenes are less impressive.
Thanks again.
Regards,
John.

With Planet Earth as well, not every scene was shot in HD...

totally true.

from disc 1-5 the picture goes from disc 1 amazing !! to disc 5.. err isnt this just bits of disc 1-4 in SD ?

there is grain, but apart from the brandnew HD uber clear aeriel shots most of the footage is legacy stuff from a few years back and nearly all if not all is Analgiue camera hence film grain.. which is good, check out the r,g,b print stripes on the first slow donw shots of the shark jumping from the water.. its great because you know your LCD is seeing right down to the film print !

IceAge2 on BD is awesome ! i know its VC-1 and digital but ive heard that cars is much better still and a perfect transfer

also dont turn your sharpness too high, its not a natural image

Some directors deliberately add grain to make the HD prints look more 'realistic' and 'film-like'.

Annoys the crap out of me, but then I'm not a director.

I don't really notice or see grain unless i sit about 1 foot away from my 40" tv.

As i normally sit about 1 and a half metres away grain isn't really an issue.

Another problem is that people tend to have the brightness turned up way to high which makes any grain far more obvious. My 40" Sony has brightness at only 50% and the back light set to 20%. This gives a more natural image and filters out the bulk of the grain.

I've been having the same problem with my month old Samsung LE52M87BDX, I hooked up my new PS3 that I got for Xmas & watched Hostel 2 on blu-ray.

I wasn't very impressed with it, the picture was also grainy in dark scenes.

I've been really looking forward to getting all this new equipment & haven't been blown away yet.

Earlier I hooked up my old DVD player to check it out side by side with the PS3, I put Star Wars on both with the PS3 upscaling & again I wasn't very impressed! My cheap old DVD player looked nearly as good & I paid £15 for it from Asda as a get me by when my last DVD player broke.

The misses has also been questioning why we spent so much cash as we got the Sky HD box the other month so we've spent rather a lot & you all know how hard it is to get a women to agree to spending large amounts of cash on technology..................:nono:

I found most LCD/plasma TV's don't need the sharpness at a high level as it magnifies the pixels, try turning down the sharpness levels

As said above, the grain is meant to be there in most cases. Especially prevalent is 300, all the grain was digitally added by the director by choice (there is a picture in picture on the HD DVD that shows it without the grain)

In alot of cases with standard definition the resolution isn't high enough for you too see it- HD just shows you as it was suppossed to be seen.

Once you have taken the sharpness down to 0 and set your TV correctly, you should be seeing an accurate picture.

Try Pirates of the Carribean 2 for grain free pictures, or any of the CGI stuff- TMNT is superb.

when watching hd material the tv's sharpness setting should be set to 0, min or whatever setting turns it off/puts its to a minimum on your tv.

when watching hd material the tv's sharpness setting should be set to 0, min or whatever setting turns it off/puts its to a minimum on your tv.

Interesting.....................I'm going to try that next time.

As said above, the grain is meant to be there in most cases. Especially prevalent is 300, all the grain was digitally added by the director by choice (there is a picture in picture on the HD DVD that shows it without the grain)

In alot of cases with standard definition the resolution isn't high enough for you too see it- HD just shows you as it was suppossed to be seen.

Once you have taken the sharpness down to 0 and set your TV correctly, you should be seeing an accurate picture.

Try Pirates of the Carribean 2 for grain free pictures, or any of the CGI stuff- TMNT is superb.

In some cases, not most cases. 300 is a rare example, whearas the grain in dark scenes is very common, and unwanted.

I dunno, I would wager that on most HD disks if you see grain (I don't mean print or dust marks), it was there on the master copy. So it should be there.

You may think it is unwanted on 300, but have you seen the picture without the grain? Doesn't look right to me, all the grain suits the film IMO.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :thumbsup:
I shall try out the settings later.
thanks again.
John.

Yep, on 300 the grain is meant to be there to add to the atmosphere and style of the film. Because HD is more detailed than say DVD you will see more grain and detail.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom