1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grainy picture on Sony KV36FS70 with Scan 2000 DVD, playing R1 discs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Relay, May 22, 2001.

1. Relay

Relay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problems 1 and particularly 2 have been apparent on most if not all I've seen in the shops. This caused me to cancel my order and return to the Panasonic 36PG50 which is pretty good geometry-wise.

2. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is my first post and I hope you all can help!

I have just bought:
    Sony KV36FS70 (2 of them - identical output)
    Scan 2000 DVD player
    Sony STR-DB940
    ProDigiGold interconnects (I think I got the name wrong there)

Connected with a digital NTL cable tuner.

Everything connects to the amp, which passes out of the S-VHS into the Sony's S-Video/Scart.

Problem 1:
    Both of the Sony TVs have a green tint in the top left hand corner... is this normal?? I bought them a few days apart, from unbeatable.co.uk and they are in seperate rooms, away from any magnetic interferance.

Problem 2:
    On certain cable channels the image ratio changes correctly, to put an inch wide black bar on the left and right - in this mode only you can see that the geometry is quite poor (on both TVs) with a slight curve on either side. Can this be corrected?

Problem 3:
    I am extremely dismayed at the quality of the DVDs I have tried (R1 Matrix, R1 Last Starfighter, R1 new remastered Superman). The picture is VERY grainy/noisy, like a bad VHS.
    The DVD player is outputting in NTSC, and I have set the Sony to switch into NTSC via the hidden service menus. All the cables are digital co-ax or S-VHS shielded - makes no difference)
    I have played one R2 disc and it seemed way better (R2 Spaced - the channel 4 series), although slightly blurred, but I put this down to being a lower budget film. I had a quick look at R2 Gladiator and I don't remember noticing any problems - I'll check again tonight.
    When you pause the DVD it is crystal clear, but the image contains artifacts - as if the source DVDs contain the noise.

Should I be able to view an R1 movie on a 36" screen, and see a clear image? I had expected DVDs to look really sharp - the review of the Sony by John Archer on this site said the picture from American DVDs was "gobsmacking". I've just spent nearly £300 on DVDs, which are mainly R1 so I'm quite worried.

Do you think I am seeing problems because of the reduced resolution of NTSC? or could it be the Scan 2000 player is simply crap?

Has anyone else seen this noise problem, I am so disheartened after paying so much for all this kit..... is it the Scan player or some setting I need to check??

What do I do!?!

All help/questions welcomed.
    :confused:

[ 23-05-2001: Message edited by: USAgent ]

3. GIRISH

GIRISH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY DEAR FRIEND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOURS BUT THERE IS NO GREEN TINT.
    ALSO PLEASE PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME HOW TO ACCESS THE HIDDEN SERVICE MENU TO PROGRAMME THE TV TO ACCESS THE NTSC SIGNAL.
    I CANOT SEEM TO PLAY NTSC DISCS THROUGH THE SCART SOCKETS .THE PICTURE SHAKES AND THE COLOURS GOES ON AND OFF.PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME I WILL BE WAITING ANXIOUSLY
    THANKS AND REGARDS GIRISH

4. Nuno Santos

Nuno Santos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi!

I own a KV32FQ75, but, i'll try to help you.

Problem 1: No, this is not normal, but no so uncommon also. I suggest you contact your dealer or Sony assistance.

Problem 2: My experience tells me that usually, the geometry you get when you turn the set for the first time, is, well, as good as it get's. Nevertheless, the set's might have been handled unproperly while in transportation so, a few things might be corrected in service mode. Check out http://www.kv32tweak.freeuk.com/ for further information.

Problem 3: NTSC discs usually have less quality then PAL ones, but still there should be good images. Do you have the 'Sharpness' almost set to zero? Usually 'Sharpness' and a high contrast introduces a lot of grain in the picture.

Hope this helps,

NS

5. USAgent

USAgent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nuno,

Yup, you were on the right track about the contrast and sharpness. I borrowed a completely different DVD player off a friend and was able to get exactly the same crap picture.. I then started playing around with the sharpness and contrast and it gets dramatically less grainy.
    I now realise that due to the size of the screen, I can much more easily see when a film is a poor quality transfer. For example, there is a Universal Studios trailer at the beginning of The Last Starfighter and (I think) The Matrix - in both it shows lots of clips of films; some of them are really clear, whereas the older films are very grainy.
    I'm now much happier, however I'm wondering what to do about the green tint.. If you watch the screen when you have no arial connected (to get the snow) it clearly is a green tint about 2 inches wide, but then when you watch a normal channel it looks like a slight purple hue.
    I'll speak to a Sony engineer and get some advice.

Thanks!