1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grainy live tv pictures - Help needed!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Goodoldbakes, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hope someone can help me out here. I'm very disappointed with the PQ of my set up. I've read the other threads of a similar vein, but I'm nowhere near confident enough to go scuttling around in the registry so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for a quick fix to my problem.

I'm running an Elonex Artisan media centre hooked up through DVI to a Dell 2005FPW LCD monitor. I've hooked my Sky digi box up to the MC via coax cable from the 2nd RF out. When I initially put the feed directly into a CRT TV to test the cable, PQ was perfect (even with double the length of coax than I'm running now), but now I'm going through the Artisan into the Dell the PQ isn't sharp at all and looks more like streaming video. Am I missing something here? Should I be doing something else? Does anyone else have this problem? I know the 2005FPW isn't a dedicated TV, but I would have thought that this set up would give much better results. Any advice greatly appreciated. :lease:

The PC screens and MCE menus are spot on and razor sharp, as are DVD movies. The Artisan has analogue tuners - Haupauge Wintv (not sure which version). Would it make a difference if I altered the monitor refresh rate? It's currently running at its native res of 1680 X 1050 at 60Hz. Do you think I should raise that to 75Hz?

Thanks in advance.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Can you upgrade the connection from your sky box to the PC?
    Coax is bottom of the list, next is composite, then s-video then rgb scart.

lisa

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't forget your PC can scale the image coming out, the Sky will be just 576 lines.

4. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My MC is in an upstairs room, Sky downstairs, so coax is the only real option I'm afraid. I have run it through a signal boost too. The picture is perfect on a normal 21" CRT TV though, even without the boost.

"Don't forget your PC can scale the image coming out, the Sky will be just 576 lines"

I'm sorry Eddy, I don't understand what you mean about scaling :oops: Could you explain please?

Thanks both of you.

5. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine was grainy and had tracers on the DMS2. I changed to the NVidia PureVideo drivers and all is good now (there is a thread in this forum about them, get the latest versions from page 2 of the thread (or end of page one.. I forget. The new version's release date was 1st July 2005 I think)

6. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers. For the record I've re-routed my cable away from any electrical interference, cables sockets etc and re-fitted DECENT QUALITY RF connecters. Now the picture is much, much better. It's still not as sharp as I would have thought, but I've just read the thread about refresh rates, so maybe I should try lowering the ref rates too.