1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grahams HiFi Home Cinema Evening

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Greggles, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Anyone who receives the Grahams HiFi News Letter, from the North London retailer/installer, will know that they held a “Home Cinema Setup Evening” last night. I popped in for an hour or so after work and had a thoroughly interesting time and wondered if anyone else attended? I was shown into one of their demo rooms, by Jude, where (interestingly) the following was set up:

Arcam DV29 DVD Player
    Arcam AVP700 AV Processor
    Arcam P7 Power Amp
    Pioneer 43” plasma (not sure of model)
    Various B&W/ M&K speakers

Most of the time was spent “calibrating” the picture, using a special DVD designed for the purpose. This consists of a young American couple taking you through a series of tutorials, explaining the optimum setup procedures for Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Tint and Sharpness etc. It is all done in a quite humorous “Idiots Guide” kind of way. Clips from the Superbit version of “The Patriot” were then played to show the before and after effects of the adjustments. The DVD also covers the audio side of things, but I guess, like most people, I am more familiar with that side of things.

I also had a good “play” with the AVP700. Very user friendly, and good sound, but even without HDMI switching and all the latest processing “bells and whistles” I think I will be holding on to my AV8. I still have faith that Arcam will bring out a suitable hardware upgrade some time in the future :lease:

At the end of the evening I was given a copy of the DVD and am looking forward to trying it on my system over the weekend.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
  3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    So any further impressions of the AVP700 ?

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what makes you say this greggles? did you find the sound different or what? or is it just a matter of the FMJ logo not being on the outside?

5. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'd be lying if I said that the style, "flimsier" casework and the fact that the AVP700 is half the price of the AV8 had no bearing on my decision. But ultimately it is in terms of sound quality, that the AV8 wins out - especially stereo. Not by a huge amount mind you. If I did not have the AV8, I could happily live with the AVP700.

6. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an aside, when is the AVP700 supposed to be in the shops ? I had a quick check around my local dealers beginning of this week, and the 2 Diva only ones (one a larger chain) just looked blank and had not heard about it (!!!), and the other FMJ+Diva one said they had no delivery date for it yet.

Would like to audition one..

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the AVP is already in the shops in the UK, DE and AT so just take the list of official arcam dealers and call them up

8. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See my above post.

All 3 official UK Arcam dealers. 2 not even heard of it, 1 no stock yet.

9. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just search in these forums. there are a couple of dealers mentioned who have it on demo