Graham slee voyager

Michaelgoron

Standard Member
Hi
I know that this unit has great reviews as a portable amp, but could anyone comment on its use in a domestic CDP based Hi Fi system? I have a modified Beresford DAC with Headphone output, but althought the sound quality is good there is a high level of hiss. This would be one reason for the purchase - another would of course be an upgrade in sound through my Senn. HD 600s. I believe the Voyager has a mains connection. I wonder how it compares with the higher priced Solo in a domestic, rather than portable, set up...?

davejames

Ive listened to a solo srgII on my DT880's & the 650's & to be honest I think the amp is a little overpriced for what it delivers, (possibly paying for the name I dont know), but ive never heard the voyager as ive never had the need or desire for portability, im usually plonked down in one place when I listen to music ;-)

As for the portable vs desktop, the battery powered amp may be ok for your HD600's but if I was using those phones id pair it up to a more powerful amp that will properly drive them, I also read a review a while back on the voyager saying that it has some kind of tone switch that boosts the high end but resulted in harsh treble, which doesnt sound promising, so unless you really need the portable side of things I think you could do a lot better.

Im not familiar with the Beresford DAC but a decent amp shouldnt have any amount of hiss.

J2C

The voyager does has a contour switch which boosts the bass and treble. It has it's uses in cheaper phones. Why you'd have a £180 amp and £30 earphones I don't know but anyway. You can't use it as a negative though since the Voyager sounds great flat. Much like all portables, they can't compete with full-size desktop amps. The Graham Slee Novo is the better amp which is only £50 more than the Voyager.

Drubbing

I'm not sure why you'd expect something that amplifies a signal, to eradicate hiss. It will amplify it.

The issue would appear to lie with the Berseford's head out, as said above, a DAC or amp should not hiss.

alasrati

I'm not sure why you'd expect something that amplifies a signal, to eradicate hiss. It will amplify it.

The issue would appear to lie with the Berseford's head out, as said above, a DAC or amp should not hiss.
Well maybe the line out of the Beresford doesn't hiss so attaching that to a headphone amp that also doesn't hiss will eliminate the hiss, no? Seemed like a logical plan to me.

Drubbing

Headphones don't hiss by themselves - they reproduce what they're given from the source signal, which is the DAC, so your thinking has more assumption than logic.

Surely it's better to identify the reason for the hissing before you spend money on something that, rather than eliminate it, could make it far more obvious?

That seems more logical to me.

alasrati

Michaelgoron, does the hissing sound only come from the headphone output of the Beresford or also from the line level phono output?

Last edited:

Trending threads

Top Bottom