Graham Norton and Will Young (Friday 22nd CH4)

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did any one else see this one.......absolute classic, i have not laughed so much in years! :D

It was indeed a great show. Loved the anecdote about the americans telling WY to change his teeth and him telling them to f*** off :D Ringing that bloke in the pub in Brighton was superb as well :D

When Graham Norton was on weekly, never missed a show.
The nightly was too much, haven't watched a single one, it's strange how once a break is made you forget about a show altogether.
Same with The West Wing, half way through one episode decided it was pretentious preachy crap and haven't watched it since.
Graham Norton just once weekly again would be fine.

Solution for GD:

Pick a night, any night, tune in regularly each week to that night's show and that night's only ;)

Have to agree with gringottsdirect, it was quite a good programme when it was weekly, i think its being stretched to far now. And far too camp.

Far too camp? It's Graham Norton we're talking about, not Steven Segal!

God,
It might work better if I recorded all the nightlies and edited the good bits to a one hour, but that's a non-starter :D .

Mr. Norton has progressively become more camp as his confidence has grown I guess. I'm not anti-gay, but I don't like gayness rammed down my throat.

I'm not anti-gay, but I don't like gayness rammed down my throat.

Why not? Does it leave a bad taste in your mouth? :D

If a program with a camp host rams 'gayness' down your throat, does that mean that the sexual double entendres of crappy telly hosts of the 'old school' like Jim Davidson with his 'glamorous assistant' and lecherous old Brucie with his Dolly Dealers is ramming heterosexuality down gay viewer's throats? Should they be offended / concerned? Perhaps you could let them know?

Or for that example any sitcom or drama showing the heterosexual nuclear family? I mean, we can find reasons to be 'concerned' everywhere if we look hard enough.

Is it just me, or are there more pressing matters in the world to be worried about (WAR! DEATH! CRIME! PAEDOPHILIA! DRUGS! POPSTARS: THE RIVALS, etc) than that of a camp comedian telling dirty jokes on telly?

Solution: If it's a problem for you - don't watch.

Other stuff to avoid if camp humor causes concern:

Carry On's
'Allo 'Allo
The League of Gentlemen
Gimme Gimme Gimme!
Are You Being Served?
St Trinian's movies
Most Ealing comedies
Bride of Frankenstein
Anything with Frankie Howerd, Alistair Sim, Joyce Grenfell, etc.

...and virtually any traditional classic British comedy / comedian of the last 60 years or so.

Hope this reassures you... :)

Originally posted by the_pauley
lecherous old Brucie with his Dolly Dealers is ramming heterosexuality down gay viewer's throats?
Solution: If it's a problem for you - don't watch.
Alistair Sim,

Alastair Sim, now he was great !

Bruce picked some hot chicks in his time, have no problem watching them at all :) .
Jim Davidson is totally crap.

It's not a problem for me watching Graham Norton, I used to watch every week and did enjoy the show.
Same as lots of shows over time it runs out of ideas, if the only " joke " is his sexuality well it's been told enough times now.
Elton John went through a phase when ever he was interviewed all he was talking about was his not fancying women. I like EJ, have all his albums, even the crap ones, I'm interested to hear his thoughts on lots of things, but I just get bored with the " gay " stuff. It doesn't bother me, I'm just not interested :cool: .

Some of my favourite tv series have a gay storyline, Buffy, E.R. , Six Feet Under, it's not a problem at all.

I take your point about not having to watch if I don't like the show, but I do like the show, I just think it was better weekly and funnier too.

It's a bummer when a person becomes identified more with their chosen portal preference than the other talents that made them famous in the first place.

Bruce picked some hot chicks in his time, have no problem watching them at all .Jim Davidson is totally crap.
OK. So missed that point completely then?
It's a bummer when a person becomes identified more with their chosen portal preference than the other talents that made them famous in the first place.
Once again, an unfortunate turn of phrase!!! :D

The fact that you associate GN with his "...chosen portal preference..." (don't presume the rest of us do), and see his sexuality as his only "...joke...", perhaps tells us more about your obsessions than Mr. Norton's.

GN is a vulgar, mad comedian who also happens to be gay. Occasionally, note, occasionally his life experience is brought into his act as part of his personal "worldview", in much the same way as Les Dawson's life experience as a married heterosexual engendered his mother-in-law jokes. That was not the only thing that Les Dawson was about, and being gay is not the only thing that Graham Norton is about. I've watched numerous Norton shows where there isn't a single reference to gay sexuality. As a matter of fact I think he might be clocking up more jokes about Catherine Zeta Jones! Why not moan about that?

Despite your noble attempts to be all-embracing of our gay brethern, I still detect a certain amount of twitchiness...

For example, you state, regarding Elton John "...but I just get bored with the " gay " stuff. It doesn't bother me, I'm just not interested."

I like a lot of Elton's music too, but I'm neither bored or not-bored by any references to his sexuality in interviews. I'm simply not interested and therefore don't feel the need to even think about it or mention it. You, however, appear to do - enough to feel the need to place postings on this site about the subject.

Like I say, if it's a cause for concern then don't watch. Then your sphincter can relax...

By the way, I agree that the show was funnier when weekly, but that's nothing to do with our favourite Shiny Green Poof becoming "...more camp..." (!?!?! Is that like the Pope becoming more Catholic?), more to do with the format being spread over five nights.

the_pauley,

I think that you are over-reacting a tad.

...or merely reacting to an over-reaction?

in much the same way as Les Dawson's life experience as a married heterosexual engendered his mother-in-law jokes. That was not the only thing that Les Dawson was about... /QUOTE]

When I remember Les, I only remember his Mother-In-Law jokes and " bad " piano routines. I was bored of that too.

By this don't read into it I am anti- Mother-In-law or anti-Piano, I have both.

The fact that you associate GN with his "...chosen portal preference..." (don't presume the rest of us do), and see his sexuality as his only "...joke...", perhaps tells us more about your obsessions than Mr. Norton's.

Then your sphincter can relax...

Blimey, I'm not over-reacting just making a few points in a thread, while otherwise bored with the telly.

I'm not presuming...

I said if GN 's only " joke " , didn't say it is...

Not obsessed...and my sphincter has an open mind.
Sorry, if I offended you Mr. Pauley, I didn't mean to be a pain in the arse.

Now that was deliberate wasn't it?:D

I think it touched a nerve with one particular person, that's all.

I second that!

Blimey, I only put Vulgar in the search as Im after the DVD :rolleyes:
Glad I did now after reading some of the posts :D
BTW FWIW I used to watch it every week untill it became a regular feature on our screens,once a week was a scream but every week night soon became boring and repetative.

Samantha

it always was crap, and still is......there's only so many unfunny gay jokes you can fit into 45-ish minutes!!

and channel 4 have the cheek (there goes another phrase for you to collect) to repeat EVERY show again on E4!

Bugger !
Thread resurrection, how appropriate at Easter, Samantha you could just Passover it, now the_pauley will come back too !
Chocolate eggs all around :) .

Thought he was very funny for about one run of his weekly show. Quickly became repetitive and now he seems like a parody of himself. I don't just find him unfunny now, I think he is the most irratating prick on tv. How he won the comedy award this year I will never know. But then again, since when do they reward talent over viewing figures! I also get the impression he finds himself hilarious. How unoriginal can his show get. The phone a random weirdo was funny for a while, now it just seems like it's done because it's expected rather than because there is any humour involved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom