grafik eye DIY install

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by mk2phil, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mk2phil

mk2phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm currently planning my AV install and want to use a grafik eye to control the dimming of the lights on the room - I've seen this working round someone else's place and the effect was fantastic.

I'm planning on the 3106 or 3104 model. do these simply replace the existing wall dimmers (I know you have to install a bespoke back box for the unit) and utilise the existing wiring - or is there more to consider? I've seen in the instruction manual they show a 'distribution panel' but I'm assuming this is the US version of the power supply/fusebox. Looks to me like you simply need to rework some of the existing wiring...?

Also, do they buzz when you've got the lights dimmed? and do they work with Low voltage lighting?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  3. Steve149

Steve149

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I looked into this and in the end ordered the Lutron Rania 4 circuit dimmer. Much cheaper than the Grafik but still works with a Harmony remote. The main restriction is that you only get 4 scenes rather than 16 with the Grafik. The Rania works with standard UK wiring unlike the Grafik. The Lutron online store appears to give reasonable prices. :thumbsup:

The scenestyle has a limited IR range - you must be reasonably perpendicular to the switch (I got this info from the manufacturer). The Rako units may be more versatile but its all a lot more complex an requires units built into the ceiling space that you can access to reboot the system - not a great idea!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Depends what is more important to you (scene, IR etc) I have never had to extract a rako unit once programmed unless it was to replace a Dead unit (removed 2 i think in total so far, 3+ years using rako)

5. habrown

habrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Scenestyle does use trailing edge technology, therefore is virtually silent. the only loads you can't use it to control are flurecent, or LED. it is correct that the IR does not pick up at acute andgles, but the remote does come with unit anyway.

6. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have a single 3100 Grafik Eye and I have not heard it buzzing, I only use it with electronic low voltage (ELV) transformers. They work with low voltage lighting, but some types of transformer may need an additional interface module to operate with the Grafik Eye.

I am having a bit of a system upgrade, and unfortunately the Grafik Eye units come under the electrical 'Part P' notification scheme. I have had to run new direct feeds from the consumer unit (what Lutron call the distribution panel) with each Grafik Eye unit on its own 10A circuit breaker (or RCBO dependent on application). I would certainly get some advice before going DIY with it.