1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grafik Eye buzzing

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by cskates, Jan 3, 2005.

1. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my HC room I have a Lutron Grafik Eye with 2 zones of 5*50W and 4*50W LV halogens and 1 zone for normal incandescent floor lamps. It all works fine, apart from an infernal buzzing when the LV zones are dimmed. The buzzing comes from both the transformers and the Grafik Eye itself. The transformers are ELV leading edge type.
    I have two other rooms with Lutron Telume dimmers and they don't have the same buzzing problem with 4 or 5 lights of the same type, I wouldn't have expected the Telume to be better than it's bigger brother!
    Anyone have any ideas on a solution? Is it possible the Grafik Eye is faulty?
    Is anyone else using ELV lighting with a Grafik Eye?

2. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 6 x 6 zone graffic eys and they all buzz. This is normal. You should have spoken to someone in the know and they would have advised you that the best place to stick a graffic eye is under the stairs (or wherever you electric supply is housed) and then to use the Lutron cable (in effect cat5) to a seperate Lutron switch plate. This has the double benefit of providing a much smaller wall plate and as no mains supply to the plate it is completely safe for small (or wet) hands.

This may be of no help to you but anyone thinking of buying into the (expensive) Lutron route take note.

3. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did some further investigation and it seems the main culprits are the bulbs themselves, the spotlight reflectors do a good job of focussing sound as well. Aiming the spots at the walls and away from the seating has cut down the noise a lot. I've also moved the transformers as far away from the ceiling holes as possible to reduce the noise from them.
    In a future house I would definitely consider a centralised whole-house dimming setup. Lutron make some good products, but not cheap as you say. Just wish they did a 240V version of their Spacer dimmers.

4. olliemac

olliemac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The transfromers you are using may not be the best for using with the grafik eye. Lutron have a list a transformers that they specify as being tested and fullly compliant with there products and I can asure you that these do not buzz, certainly not to the extent that you would suggest. This may also help with the main unit itself.