1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

grafic card advice needed asap

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, May 22, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok i have a pc obviously with a amd xp 2800 processor 80gig hdd 512 ram soon to be 1 gig windows xp and a radeon 9200se card used for games mainly i have £150=£180 to buy a new grafic card not bothered about wether its geforce or radeon i want it to run far cry pretty high reso as well as pain killer doom 3 half lif (if it ever comes out) thanks am buying the card wednesday so havent got much time been looking at a radeon sapphire atlantis pro 128// or a geforce 5900xt 128 or do ypou know of any better cards

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    I got the Sapphire Atlantis 128 and am very happy with it playing BF Vietnam at 1600x1200.

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at the Atlantis pro as well.
    I can't afford the 256mb version. Spectre - Where did you buy it from? The best price I have found is on Komplett, are there any other cheap retailers?
    I have a hell of a problem with my geforce3 playing FARCRY online, it's like a slide show, unplayable.

Cheers

Chris

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Ebuyer are always worth a look for any hardware. They have a large selection of graphics cards (lots of Sapphire ones). I've bought lots of stuff from Ebuyer and not had a problem yet, but others have reported problems - I suppose it depends on whether your hardware is DOA or not !

5. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i see that i have to connect the card to the psu now if i was to disconnect the hard drive power cable would i have to re-install windows???? is it a pretty good card?? how well does it run far cry

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No, your HD retains all the info for Operating system.
    You should have plenty of spare power connectors already in your PC case.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    Got mine from overclockers.co.uk. Better price than ebuyer by a tad.

8. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    have searched the overclockers site but cant find the atlantis 128 mb card does anyone have a link

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the price your looking to pay I'd say a 9800pro is the way to go, there's only a very small difference between the 128meg and the 256meg versions by the way... here's the link to the overclockers Sapphire cards (it's just over half way down the page)http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/sapphire_ati_graphics_cards.html

However, Komplett have the Sapphire at a better price (the cheapest at the moment I think... here http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=122901&cks=SER

Since I didn't need the overclocking abilities of the Sapphire I went for one of these 9800pro cards, which at £130 I believe is the cheapest price for 9800pro currently, http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=2F99A0AD-B9A8-470B-B643-2A672531F699

Hope this helps mate...

Regards,
    Iain.

10. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    which is better the lite version or full retail version???? also spending this sort of money seems mad to my wife am i mad ????will i see a big improvment

11. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my instance, Going from a 64mb geforce3 to a 128mb Radeon 9800 pro, I would expect at least double the performance...It is also easy to overclock too.

12. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    overclock???????

13. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Basically, with the ATI software you can trick your card to perform even higher by setting higher clock rates of the processor on the gfx card.
    I am not that technical and I'm sure there will be people who can put it better than me. But your card could give better performance with the overclocking facility than straight out the box.
    There is always a risk of frying the card, but these days it is more likely to boot down and reset itself than damage your graphics processor.

Cheers

Chris

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have just purchased the Sapphire Atlantis pro from Komplett. Absolutely fantastic. Running far cry with everything turned up to max on my PJ. I cant explain how good this looks. I almost had a fit when I first ran it.

"In my instance, Going from a 64mb geforce3 to a 128mb Radeon 9800 pro, I would expect at least double the performance...It is also easy to overclock too."

You are joking right...... Double the performance....run a benchmark before and after. You should see a 3 to 4 fold increase in your score AT LEAST. Then you have all the benefis of direct x 9 support etc etc etc...

"which is better the lite version or full retail version???? also spending this sort of money seems mad to my wife am i mad ????will i see a big improvment"

You will see an enormous improvement. I mean really big improvement. 9200se dosnt do anti aliasing or any of the fancy graphics tricks, shading etc. It dosnt support direct x 9. To cut a long story short its not a gamming card by any stretch on the imagination, not on the same planet in terms of performance as a 9800 pro. A 9800 pro in a reasonable PC can easily run Far Cry at a high resolution with all the effects turned up to max. Thats about as challanging as you can get currently. As for HL2 & D3. Should have no problems running these bearing in mind they were designed for this technology originally.

Lite version dosnt come with the games that the full retail version does, but they are oldish games anyway. No difference in the hardware at all. If you go for the Komplett card you get all the leads and the driver disc. The cheaper version (£10 less) mentioned does not. Plus it has superior drivers and clocking capability which can significantly improve performance over the stock card. For the extra £10 Well worth it in my opinion.

15. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Great reply, That's it..I am ordering one right now.
    One question tho.......Will I need a better power supply than the 400W I have??
    I know it uses one of the power leads.

Ta

Chris

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Your 400W power supply is plenty enough

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmmm. Well it depends what else you have in your box. I have heard people have had power issues with 400w psu with these things but I dont know what else they were running (Processor, pci cards etc....)

I can tell you I got a fancy raidmax case with 4 fans loads of flash neon flights at the front and illuminating the innars through the clear side panel plus I an running an Athlon 3000 which are pretty power hungly. Case has a 450w psu no issues. Bear in mind The 5 big fans (Massive cpu fan as well) Will draw a load of power.

To cut a long story short, Its border line but you should be OK.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I suppose some things do take more, but I'm running 2 optical drives, 3 80GB hard disks, 1 internal zip drive, 1 floppy drive, an athlon 2.4 (or something like that - can't remember!) 1GB RAM, in a Lian Li case with 3 fans. The Enermax 400W supply handles it with no problems.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    There you go then. Should be no problem. I just thought I would mention I have seen a few people with these cards say they have had issues with PSU.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I suppose there are different grades of 400W power supplies to be honest. The one that I have is a good one - I imagine that some cheaper 400W supplies do not perform to the same level.

21. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    How much of an improvement do you reckon Id see upgrading my 4200ti 128mb card for that saphire 9800 pro?

I was going to wait for HL2 but am getting twitchy now,only things putting me off are:
    1.Will I really see that much of a difference,or will it only really beneift Farcry atm.
    2.Will it get even cheaper over the next few months?

Obviously another concern is these models are gonna dissapear completely soon,making way for the new cards,so I dont wanna wait too long.
    Cheers :smashin:

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well the 4200ti was good in its day and will do alot of the graphics effects. Its a bit old now though. You will certainly see a decent improvement in the frame rate and the resolution you can run the likes of Far Cry and URT.

I`m not the Oracle on this stuff, you need to do a few searches on the net and check out some of the bench mark reviews. It will comfortably outperform your card but alot also depends on the rest of your system.

If you have an oldish system the cpu / memeory can end up being the bottle neck.

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
  24. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Got an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and Barton 3000 cpu and 768mb ddr ram,so hopefully there wont be any bottlenecking.

I think Im gonna wait till September(if thats when they do eventually do realease HL2)and see whats on offer then.Hopefully there will either be some more bargains about or the new cards will have come down a bit. :smashin:

25. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ok got my ati card "radeon atlantis 128 mb" installed it ok but it keeps dropping me out of games any ideas????

26. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have you overclocked it?? If so it may be the card protecting itself from over cooking?
    Make sure the driver that came with the card it ATI's latest - Check their website for the latest drivers.
    Chris

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    As Chris says, the 1st thing to do is make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI as the CDs supplied with the cards are usually out of date.
    The 2nd thing to do is to make sure you have the latest patches of any games you are playing. Which games are you having problems with ?

If it were me I would run the card in standard (non-overclocked) for a few days to make sure the games are working properly, and then overclock afterwards if you feel the need to.

28. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    card isnt clocked as yet but am having trouble with toca 2

29. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Turn off the AA or anti aliasing feature of the card in this game. There is a known problem - It is not supported by the game!!

Some users have reported the following:

1) Nvidia card's FSAA settings will work if Hi-Res Bonnet Reflections are turned off in the Advanced Section of the hardware setup program
    2) Radeon's will work with FSAA, if the game is minimised and then restored as the tracks are loading

I hope this is of some use??

Ta

Chris

30. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hey harris when you bought your card did it have blue marker marks on the little transistors (the pop can shaped things on the card) also what did you get with your card i got a instal cd and some wires, on the site it says i should have a red line disc and angel of darkness tomb raider game. im beginning to think ive got a dodgy card as it quits out of games i.e pro evo , call of duty so a trip back to gladiator computers is on the cards methinks