1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grado SR60, SR80 or SR125's?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Splim, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am about to buy a pair of Grados to replace a set of Beyer DTX900's. I have heard the SR60's and was very impressed (the DTX900's sound 'enclosed' in comparison).

My question is this, would there be any benefit paying the extra for the SR80's or indeed the SR125's over the 60's as my budget will stretch this far.

I will be listening via a Denon DM-50 for the moment but will be installing separates gear when I have the room, so any quality advantages that may not be obvious via the Denon will be relevant in the future!

Thanks in advance for your help

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I wouldnt bother with any of the others except SR60 unless you have a dedicated headphone amp.

3. Splim

Splim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went for the 125's in the end! Very impressed, so much more open than the Beyers. Presumably the sound will only improve with my future foray into the separates world, can't wait!

4. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I Have the RS1 and Sennheiser 600 with audioart upgrade. Lets just say you won't believe what you hear it's unbelieveable!!! Keep watching on ebay can get Grado's for c£300 and Sennheiser (without cables) for c£110!!

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I dont think I've ever seen RS1's on ebay for £300 or less. Usually £400 upwards.

I would go for the HD580 over the HD600, as 99.9% of people wont be able to tell any difference, and the plastic grilles on the 580's are much more hard wearing than the flimsy metal ones on the HD600. The marble effect on the HD600 looks tacky as well.

6. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    £300 was for american but would send to UK. You can tell the difference with the new headphone connection (audioart) using a headphone amp. I agree about the tacky look but really it's the sound that counts.

7. liteswap

liteswap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just listened to all three this afternoon, and bought a new pair of SR125s --- best value for money at £150 in my view. Open and very impressive sound without sounding like artificial.