Graded kit

Fauldzy

Standard Member
I have been offered the opportunity to buy some graded kit from a well know hifi dealer (SSAV), as an alternative to going full price on the same piece of kit I was looking at.

I hear a lot of people recommend second hand kit because you get more 'bang per buck'.

What about graded/referb kit has anyone any particular views on this type of buying?

alexs2

Distinguished Member
Assuming the warranty is comparable,and the goods themselves are unmarked,then you may be able to get a relative bargain this way.

As to used/ex-dem goods....the basic rules are to see and try before you buy wherever possible,to ensure you dont get something that doesnt work....a number of good used dealers will offer a 3 month warranty,and most used high-end gear will have been kept in good condition by it's owners,as well as being built to last(Bryston are unique in respect of offering a 20yr transferrable warranty,although most good amps last very well,and can be serviced).

I have no problems buying used gear,provided I know what it is I'm buying,and have seen it working first.

Fauldzy

Standard Member
I was looking to demo a graded Rotel 1062 and 1072 in store this weekend. Reduced from the £600 mark down to £475 ea.

The explanation of graded I received from the SSAV sales person who I spoke to on the phone said:

Graded means goods that have been returned to Rotel, repaired for what ever reason (be it a fuse blown or very slight cosmetic issue) repacked and sent out to be resold with the full Rotel manufacturers warranty.

Seeing as I have managed to pick up a pair of new/boxed premium finished GR10's, SSAV sales recommended I demo the reduced graded 10xx range of Rotel as this would be a much better choice for the speakers, opposed to my original audition choice of the RA-03.

All I say is im new so I am going to let my ears tell me what sounds better this weekend.

Back to the issue in hand - graded: good or bad deal?

W

withjet

Fauldzy wrote:

All I say is im new so I am going to let my ears tell me what sounds better this weekend.

Back to the issue in hand - graded: good or bad deal?

Hi Chris,

The Rotel is a great amp and if you get the full warranty it's not a bad deal at all. Fabulous choice on the speakers BTW, what are you thinking by way of a source???

Trev.

Fauldzy

Standard Member
Evening Trevor,

Source? I am being offered the Rotel RCD 1072 to partner the amp in the same graded condition. As yet i have not found very much to support this being a good choice. So far I discovered the Rotel CDP seems to lack a few features but it has also done well in terms of sound quality in the couple of reviews I have managed to find.

Anyway it will cost less in petrol for me to drive to the store and pick up the speakers myself than for delivery costs. I thought i would give the speakers a demo on a selection of kit while a am there.

The Qinpu is still on the cards I just wish it was easier to demo! If I decided the above was for me I would still be scooping a substantial bargin!

See how the demo goes I suppose.

W

withjet

Good gear the Rotel stuff for sure, though I'd be truly interested to see what you thought of the 1062 against the Qinpu on a direct comparison
(tricky that though)
The Qinpu has a big output, it sure makes my GB1s go a bit I know, though having said that, the Rotel will drive a good speaker undoubtedly.
If it were my money I think I may be inclined to put speakers/source first, then if need be, get a good used amp with the spare cash (or a new Qinpu).
I think if you then tried the Qinpu and didn't take to it, send it back and look again for a good used/ex dem one.

Myself, I think you'd have to pick a real duffer amp wise to mess up the sound if you had a great source and great speakers to hear it through and that Qinpu is no duffer and is £175 less than the Rotel. Though as you've heard from many so far I'm sure, your ears will tell you what's what.

Do keep us posted on your decisions eh?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom