• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Grade SR80

dcjs01

Established Member
Looking for a new set of wired headphones so I can listen to my HiFi during the day when there is a night shift worker asleep upstairs.
Considering a pair of Grado SR80 based on reviews, but in the current situation can’t find anywhere to try some. Anyone any experience with them good or bad? Is it worth stretching to the 325‘s?
Music taste is rock/pop largely 60s/70s/80s, Jazz and Blues.
Source is Thorens TD160 with Shure V15iii into Quad 44 pre and the Project Headbox headphone amp. Prepared to upgrade the Project if it really provides a significant upgrade. But it would have to be a big win as no intention of headphones becoming my main means of listening.

Loomah

Standard Member
I have the SR225 (the old model) and strongly recommend them. Likewise headphones aren't supposed to be my main listening medium but the reality is i rarely leave the house without some stuck in my ears! I have to say that my source is just a AK70 mkii and have just added an iFi Zen Can to the mix which has just made them better. I'm no audiophile tho...

dcjs01

Established Member
Thanks. Did the iFi Zen Can make a big difference? Once I have the headphones was considering that as possible upgrade over my Project headphone amp.

Loomah

Standard Member
I only put it all together last night and picked a few tracks just to see. Heard a lot of detail I haven't heard for a long time or even ever before! It is a big improvement is the simple answer, even with a carpy jack to jack connection

iFi audio

Prominent Member
AVForums Sponsor
I only put it all together last night and picked a few tracks just to see. Heard a lot of detail I haven't heard for a long time or even ever before! It is a big improvement is the simple answer, even with a carpy jack to jack connection
Yey. Just had to say thanks for buying the ZEN CAN. We love it and it's good to know you've had a positive start with it. Would love to hear more of your thoughts as you settle in with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom