GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by XanderJS, Mar 1, 2013.

1. XanderJS

XanderJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    I've decided now is a good time to have a look at an upgrade for my GPU as I haven't looked at upgrading for over 2 years now!
    Currently I have a 1gb Radeon 5870HD. Things generally run okay on it but I'm starting to try and record more videos and play higher end games so would like to eek some more performance out of the system.

My budget is around £250, I can go a bit higher but I'm not going to be hitting anything at the £300 mark.

I've been hearing some good things about the 7950's and have been checking out the Sapphire Vapor-X version but before I commit I'd like some opinions on what would be a better option.

While I want the best quality I can I also have an eye on value for money so if card a is £30 more expensive than card b. I'd like to have an idea of why.

You guys have never steered me wrong before so I put my faith in your expertise!

Thanks in advance.

2. Xareh

Xareh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
  4. Xareh

Xareh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I recommend the Windforce 3X from dacads links as well. Great card.

5. XanderJS

XanderJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks guys, I've looked at the Asus one before, is it worth the extra money? The windforce is a good £20-£30 cheaper, so would that be the better value for money?

6. Xareh

Xareh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Depends, the 7950 has a triple slot cooler (the Windforce has triple fans, pick your poison) but it's TOP selected - IE hand selected chips that are heavily tested and therefore really good to overclock with. Plus they also have pretty great stock overclocks.

7. XanderJS

XanderJS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm well if cooling is the only real difference between the 2 the Windforce would probably work out better value. I don't really do much in the way of overclocking so factory overclock is another useful feature.

I can't seem to find any reviews or benchmarks for the Asus one either which seems odd. Would be nice to compare from that point of view as well =0/