GPU or PSU issue advice needed please.

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a strange issue with my fairly new PC parts I have had since Christmas. I bought a new GPU - a powercolour 5700 XT and a new PSU to drive it a Corsair RM750x 750 watt. Everything has a been great for most of Janurary then I started to get an issue where I would turn on the computer and it would boot but there would be no signal to the monitor at all but the PC would appear to boot up. I discovered that windows is booting but the GPU is not being detected and the PC is defaulting back to the GPU on the motherboard - connecting a hdmi cable to the onboard socket that gives me access to the PC in this state and looking in device manager show the GPU is not showing.

if I reboot it will usually not fix the issue and just start up in the same state but if I shutdown and remove the power lead and then plug it back it when I reboot its all back and working , GPU showing etc. I have swopped the power lead just in case - no change.

Also it doesnt do this failure to see the GPU on boot every time, around 50% I think and once it was up and running I could use it all day long no problem including gaming.

But... Now today and yesterday it has done this while I am using the PC as awell,the monitor loses signal and will suddenly go black and a few seconds later it looks like it might be rebooting and then it comes up with no GPU detected.

I dont think this is driver related as when it goes wrong at boot I cannot even see the boot sequence or enter the bios its send no signal though the GPU, its like the card is missing.

I dont think this is thermal as its from a cold boot and everything feels OK inside the PC heat wise.
Also the GPU has some RGB lighting and this is always lite so some power is getting to the card.

So I am trying to work out how I can test if this is PSU or GPU issue or motherboard I suppose. What would introduce an intermittent issue of GPU dissappearing at boot and sometime during use.

NOTE I am using a dedicated 8 pin PCIE connections from the PSU to each one the two connections on the GPU, rather than using one cable with two connectors on the end, if that makes sense.

I have another older GPU AMD 480 I can test with which uses 1x8 pin and 1x6 pin PCIE , but I dont have another PSU that has enough PCIE connections to swop that out and test the 5700xt (8 +8).

Cheers for any advice.

Last edited:
I have ASRock B360M Pro4 Motherboard with HyperX FURY DDR4 16 GB (2 x 8gb modules) 2666 MHz and a Intel i5-8400 CPU. The motherboard doesnt have onboard graphics but it does have the connections on it hmdi, VGA and DVI.

I havent tried removing the gpu completly but I suspect it wont work with no GPU, which suggests the GPU is working in some capacity at all times.

Windows 10 is 64bit 1903.

so 50% of the time I boot the PC - into windows no problems GPU present all good.
other 50% of the time it boots but no display via the GPU at all - nothing not even the bios, the monitor doesnt power up as it recevies no signal via Display port cable I use. But the PC is booting into windows I just cannot see it - we dont have a non booting problem.

next time it goes wrong I will see what display gpu it shows in device manager , I think it was an intel one but I cannot recall

Last edited:
Supports Intel® UHD Graphics Built-in Visuals : Intel® Quick Sync Video with AVC, MVC (S3D) and MPEG-2 Full HW Encode1, Intel® InTru™ 3D, Intel® Clear Video HD Technology, Intel® Insider™, Intel® UHD Graphics

This suggest on board GPU, 3 graphics output options: D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI, so try removing 5700 XT as suggested, run it for a while and see what happens. Does the machine remain stable?

W10 home, Pro or Enterprise?

You might not have a non booting issue but safe mode will tell us if something else is happening, that is why I suggested it. But it's your call.

You can't really tell by looking at the machine as to what is going on yo need to use facilities like the logs etc to narrow down the problem and determine the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying but as it doesnt work at boot I dont think there are any logs that will report it - I could remove the harddrives and still experience the issue as its happening mostly prior to windows loading. But it has occured when i was in windows so maybe when it happens during actual use I could see something about unloading the drivers. its an odd one - I have changed the configuration of the power cables from my PSU to the GPU slightly and its been running straight for 6 hours so thats good but I havent rebooted since yet.

Have you ever looked at the logs on a system? You would be surprised at what they contain and report.

Your right there useful, I work with them every day. I do server support and SCOM monitoring for a living. Its why I think this is not windows related due to the timing of the issue - my feeling is either power is partially failing and the GPU is not powering up as far as the system is concerned during bootup or the GPU is faulty giving the same issue or possible the motherboard is faulty but its been in the system for 12 months with no issues so I suspect thats not the problem. But as I get extended times when it all works fine I am unsure how to prove anything, I will live with it after the changes I made to the power leads and report back after some time. Guess I need an alternative PSU or GPU to swop in and see what happens.

Cheers

Have you thought about updating to 1909. You never know it might resolve it or at least perhaps confirm it's more of a hardware or driver issue.

Have you thought about updating to 1909. You never know it might resolve it or at least perhaps confirm it's more of a hardware or driver issue.

Not being funny but OP has said numerous times now that the issue is showing when the PC is booting eg, before windows even tries to load so how can it be a windows issue ?

@Fe_man2000 which PCie slot have you used and have you tried the GPU in a different slot ?

My gut is saying it’s a fault on the GPU but it could possibly be something else, you said you have another PSU that has a 8 pin and 6 pin output you can get a 6 to 8 pin adapter which might be worth it just to test it’s not the PSU Cable Matters 6-Pin PCIe to 8-Pin PCIe Adapter Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Not being funny but OP has said numerous times now that the issue is showing when the PC is booting eg, before windows even tries to load so how can it be a windows issue ?
Not disagreeing, hence my earlier question on removing the GPU and using onboard, at least doing that would clear the PSU and the rest of the system. If it stands up okay then it's probably down to the GPU.

Also note the op stated
But it has occured when i was in windows so maybe when it happens during actual use I could see something about unloading the drivers.
Hence my question on W10. As stated by the op, a strange one for sure.

Thanks Carlos - the card is 2.5 slot in width so I may have a challenge moving to the bottom PCIE slot (mother board has one at the top and one at the bottom with the smaller ones in between. I have a enclosure for the PSU that runs along the bottom of the case that might restrict air flow to the GPU but thats an idea I had not considered as a way to test the motherboard so I will give it a go and see what happens.

Cheers

I have moved the card to the bottom PCIE slot - wish I had put in there first off its a better location with regards to accessing the Memory and CPU in future. ALso the card is very heavy so I have added a small support made from lego to gently hold it in place resting on the PSU enclosure incase there is some kind of drooping going on.

By the way the graphics I get when the card loses itself are intel UHD graphics 630, which are built into the i5-8400 cpu I have. These are disabled by the bios if a PCIE GPU is detected on boot and used if there is no GPU found.

Lego the building block of all :) Let us know how you get on with the now relocated GPU.

Last edited:
So far no issues since the move the bottom slot and Lego support. not sure which has fixed it - I am kinda leaning towards the Lego support as
A) that fits in my world view of how random the issue was.
B) its a cooler story. (as far as this story would ever be considered "cool")
C). it weighs 1.2KG ! no really 1248 g

thanks for your help folks.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom