Question GPU advice please

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by technoman28, Jan 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Hi folks, having a slight dilemma here regarding my sons pc. Get a call from him today saying "Dad, I need to buy something", to cut a long story short, he is having problems with "stuttering" when he is gaming, (modded Skyrim and Minecraft etc), and had decided that a new GPU was in order, (this one:
    ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card )
    After the normal "Whoa, wait till I have a look" and doing some digging I am not sure if this is the right thing to do. Could there be any other causes of the stuttering, (have tried a few fixes from TomsHardware without success). I haven't cleaned it of dust and crap yet, (it is over at his flat in town, so need to go over sometime), but is there anything I should be looking for or at? His current rig is:
    Intel i7 2700k 3.5ghz
    Asus Radeon R9 290 4gb
    16g corsair RAM
    120g SSD (+1tb HDD)
    Corsair 850w Psu

Second question is is his idea of a replacement card sufficient for his requirements, or what would you recommend in that £250ish range?

He sent me this:
    GPU.jpg

2. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    This is from net with his proposed card in gaming mode, (afraid it is mostly a bunch of meaningless numbers to me, but was surprised to see quite a bit of difference in some of the figures).

GPU2.jpg

3. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    You could try overclocking both the CPU and GPU , that's if there's s decent cooler on the 2700k and if the mobo will let you ,( what is the mobo?)
    OC'ing the GPU will increase the heat of the of GPU so make sure there's plenty of air flow ,
    this should/will give you a few extra FPS , alltho it may not stop the stuttering
    on the flip side to that , he could reduce the settings of the game/s a bit to see if that stops the stuttering, say from high to medium
    the PC is now a few years , but still could have a little bit a life left in it , before spending money on it.

4. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Putting a 1060 6gb in there could bottleneck the CPU in which case could be waste of money , if the games your son is playing are more CPU intensive .

5. technoman28

technoman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Mobo is: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

He says he has tried doing the OC thing, but hasn't worked, he had already tried lowering the settings which also did not work.

6. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,095
    I doubt you'll see any bottlenecks with a 1060 and i7 combo, and if you do it'll be 1 or 2 fps.

1060 is a good card and will be a decent step up. I'd suggest waiting to see what AMD do with their higher cards in the next month or two as that should drop prices across the range. If he's experiencing stutter, tell him to drop the settings down

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    A GTX 1060 would be a waste of money, as it's not much faster than the R9 290 he already has. If he's got problems with minecraft there must be some other reason. A virus? Is he running Windows 10? If so make sure the XBox recorder is off as that can have issues with sandy bridge and Ivy bridge CPU's. Has he changed the Java memory allocation for Minecraft? If all else fails do a rebuild.
    I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between to otherwise identical systems, one running an R9 290 and the other a GTX 1060, they have very similar performance.

Edit: Also what is the cooling like in his chassis, how hot is the CPU/ GPU getting when gaming? Use CoreTemp or similar to monitor CPU temps, user the "sensors" tab in GPU-Z to monitor the GPU. Maybe some extra chassis fans or a new chassis might be in order. Maybe a better CPU cooler.

Finally what resolution is he playing in, 1080p, 1440p?

One last thing, comparing the specs is pretty meaningless, as they chips have vastly different architectures; the R9 290 was a high end GPU, so it's a large chip with lots of compute unit and memory lanes. Where as the 1060 is a much newer mid range chip so smaller and cheaper to manufacture. It has less compute units and fewer memory lanes but they work more effeicently and faster. If you imaging the R9 as a 4 lane motorway with trucks that can travel up to 60 mph, while the 1060 would be a 2 lane motorway but with the trucks travelling at 120mph. So they achive the same (or similar results) but in very different ways.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017