GPU advice for older PC

Mr Regan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just fitted a new evga 600 PSU to my old PC to get it up and running again. I was thinking I could maybe upgrade the GPU to something a bit better.

It's currently got an nvidia GeForce gtx260 installed.

intel core 2 duo malay 2.66gh

Nvidia nforce 680i sli

Corsair xms2 800mhz 4 gig

And was wondering if something like this would work on the old motherboard
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO?tag=hotukdeals03-21

If so any other recommendations or upgrades I can make to it ram/cpu etc.
it's for running Iracing for a while until I get something decent.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
A GTX 260 system used PCI-Express, possibly even PCI-Express 2.0, so any new card should work.

Ok guys it seems the price of the GTX 960 has dropped a bit. Would this be ok in my system? Or would it not work. I will be upgrading the MB and CPU at xmas but want something I can use now in the system I have, then use it in the new build.

The price of the GTX 960 has been stable around £160 for a while. If you're buying a new CPU then an R9 380 is probably preferable at a similar price.

Given the huge capacity PSU the only limitation you'll face if what will fit in your case and you haven't mentioned what it is or how much space it has.

The trouble with an FM2+ board is that it doesn't take anything other than budget CPUs, the quickest being the £55 860k, equivalent to Intel's pentium-branded chips.

A 270 OC 2GB was a good buy for £42 though.

Good buy on the 270. That motherboard isn't a bad price either, although as EndlessWaves said it has a rather limited breadth of chips. Although for a board that cost 16 quid, I wouldn't complain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom