GPU advice - budget 2nd hand system

jonmac73

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - pretty out of touch with PC stuff these days.
Have got myself a Core 2 Duo setup - looking for a mid range PCIE GPU as old system was AGP. Coming from Nvidia 6800GT & will only be used at upto 1280 resolution on older stuff (CS:Source, BF2, maybe 3). Also want to keep power requirements down as not got a massive PSU (400W) and don't really want to buy a new one unless have to.
Any opinions welcomed please.

Have options currently of:
NVidia 8800GT
ATI 4770
ATI 3870
ATI X1950 Pro

ATI 5770 should be an option aswell, depends on PSU, 400w should be enuf if its a decent one.
Would make great budget system at that res.

Do what you can afford, if that means adding better psu and possibly even better card now then do so, will save in the end.

Second that ^^^

I'm running BF3 on high settings with my 5770 and you should be able to pick one up for £60-70. Also worth getting for DX11 :smashin:

You'd be surprised as to how much technical horsepower you can get for a little amount of money these days mate... The jump from AGP/PCI to PCI-Express is pretty amazing.

AMD/ATi 5770 is your best bet for a 'cheap' card. It still ranks pretty good with the previous big boys. The next best one would be a ATi 6850 for about £100 :)

Enjoy!

update and recommendation pls before I buy:
Am I right to think ATI cards generally will draw less power ?

NVidia 8800GT - £23
ATI 4770 - £30
ATI 4830 - £29
ATI 3870 - £25

8800 gtx oc 768mb - £28 (not too keen as big power required i think)

X1950 Pro / X850 on the bay for <£20

go for the 4770 or the 8800gtx out of those.
no idea about power usage but theyre the better cards to go for.

The 8800GTX uses a ton of power, and generates a lot of heat!

Go for a DX11 card (ATi HD5770), we beg of you!

Got my 5870 for sale in the classifieds at the mo :thumbsup:

He only has 400w psu.

OP hunt for a 5770 in classifieds, sure little more money but will be happier.

Dads machine has a 8800GT, and although it's ok certainly would want better and would struggle with anything recent.imo.

Last edited:
Even if running at lower resolutions ? 1280 x 1024 only - don't need anything else as use xbox most of time now. This is just for occasional use really.

Wouldn't like to say without trying and his has quad Q6600 cpu aswell. I was running Rainbow six Vegas, Resi Evil 4and GTR2 very well with it but them old games not tried anything recent.

Is a 2nd hand GTS450 an option? Im sure i seen them cheap at the counter bucket at pc world (70) but 2nd hand could be well in budget.

Last edited:
You can get a new one from OCUK for under £100.

Thanks all but trying to keep to a low budget. Really looking for >30 MAX.
This was a spur of the moment build anyway to keep a half-decent spec PC so don't want to go overboard.

Thanks all but trying to keep to a low budget. Really looking for >30 MAX.
This was a spur of the moment build anyway to keep a half-decent spec PC so don't want to go overboard.

No worries, I'd try and go for a 5770 second hand as cheap as possible then for a bit more as its a sweet spot for giving you the BF3 option still.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom