1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPS with IPAQ

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Marcus D, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Marcus D

Marcus D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have an IPAQ 371 and wouldn't be without it. I am thinking about GPS and am totrally confused as the best / most cost effective way to go. After some googling I think that I want a blue tooth unit, but need advice as to what I need, where to get it and what to expect to pay.

Cheers :confused:

2. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I believe you have the Ipaq rx3715.
    If you want a all in one car navigation kit then get TomTom Navigator 5 bluetooth kit, unless you meant finding your gps position when your cross country etc.
    http://www.globalpositioningsystems...&vt=list&product_id=351&max_cat_id=-1&vt=list

Then if you want a car cradle. http://www.globalpositioningsystems...arch&pp_id=351&cid=92&vt=list&product_id=1885

If you prefer to buy a GPS receiver separately, I would recommend you get the Fortuna Slim Bluetooth.
    http://www.globalpositioningsystems...ortuna&hp=Fortuna,mfg=Fortuna&product_id=3492

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Have a good look on E-Bay.....Bluetooth GPS, car mounts gps software etc :thumbsup: You could save yourself a considerable amount ;)

4. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Search ebay for BT 77 bluetooth unit you can get them for about £40 - £45, and they work great.

I got one from a seller called ' Discount-bluetooth-gps' (or something similar!), and it arrived next day.

You can get the software for under £100. People have their preferences and think one is better than another, but they all work well.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I use an EMTEC (Socket GPS) bluetooth system with TomTom on my MDA3.
    Can I suggest that which ever bluetooth system you choose that you make sure its the SIRF3 (spelling?) chipset. It has the ability to use mobile phone base stations to help achieve a lock a lot quicker. My EMTEC system can take up to 7 minutes to get initial lock - usualy a lot less - but, with the newer chip set my mate got a lock inside his house in about 8 seconds! It of course, still uses GPS satelites in preference. He uses the Globalstat BT338 with his cute lil' Nokia, bless him hehehe

Best of luck!