GPS map coverage in Ireland

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Muf, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This is just an information thread for others who may find themselves in a similar situation.
    I recently bought an iPAQ hw6515 which comes with integrated GPS and tomtom. I used the special discount and ordered the complete European map set. I was eager to see the GPS working so rather than wait for the delivery I phoned the support line to see if I could download a local map. I was told that it was not possible to download the maps and there were no maps available for Ireland, I had to cancel the order of course. I then discovered that CoPilot did cover Ireland but they were still working on a patch to make their product compatible with the unusual screen shape of the hw6515.

Finally I struck gold and found a GPS software called Mapopolis. I was able to download the software free of charge and also three trial maps (active for 9 days) covering 3 counties. It all worked perfectly on the hw6515 so I was fully operational within an hour. Mapopolis sell the complete European map set (also downloadable) for just over €100 so I made the purchase. I can continue to download maps for the next year so if there are any updates, I will be able to get them.

I thought it was amazing that a scarcely known company could supply such a good product and a great service in comparison to the big operators who could give me nothing. They definitely deserve a plug.

Jim.

2. Pajo

Pajo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but far as I'm concerned Mapopolis is crap, and the worst navigation interface there is.
    Agreed TomTom is pretty useless for Ireland, Via Michelin is ok for the the larger citiesj and useless for the rest.
    The best by far for Ireland m8 is Navigon.