GPS help needed

Madkitty

Established Member
Reaction score
OK Ive been looking at the sony gps-cs1 and the geotek dpl700 but is there anything else out there to throw into the mix? Im completely new to gps (apart from my tomtom haha) so be gentle. I literally want to be able to tage my photos when I get back home.

Any software recommendations would also be helpful - is there anything that you can show the tracking of your journey but also the pictures? does that make sense?

How about ref point images ?

What I do now is take a ref image or a few, so this is maybe a sign, street name, building or something that I can then find on a map. I then tag them via flickr maps. Very quick as I know where do to the other images.

One issue with auto gps, you tag an image of your home and I know where you live. A few clicks and I have your address details, I maybe could find other details like bithday and so on from maybe your posts and before you know it I have your details.

Sorry for the above but thats why I don't tag my images from my camera ?

Does your tomtom give map points ? If so could you take a picture of them ?

but if im working in raw when I convert to jpeg because of my workflow I can choose which exif to include / exclude and Im presuming the latitude / longitude would be there? I wouldnt use it so much at home more travelling which is why I need something easy rather than having to find a street name etc

but if im working in raw when I convert to jpeg because of my workflow I can choose which exif to include / exclude and Im presuming the latitude / longitude would be there? I wouldnt use it so much at home more travelling which is why I need something easy rather than having to find a street name etc

I wish I had raw ;) Oh well good luck :smashin:

I have the Sony CS1 which is quite a nice piee of kit, but the software onyl works on JPGs (and to be honest is not the easiest in that mode either).

However with a bit of work and a number of freeware programs I have 2 tools on the PC that work. and I have the following workflow that seems to work for me:

1) Once the unit is attached (via USB) I click an upload GPS icon on the desk top. This runs a batch program which moves all the files from the Unit into a GPS directory on the PC. It then runs GPSBabel to convert from the NMEA format that the sony uses to GPX format (which seems to be easier to use as is XML based). This allows me to keep an up to date GPS directory of where I have been. Every so often I move the older files to an archive directory as this helps keep the next stage quick.

2) Once I have uploaded image files (from whichever tool I am using), I can use windows explorer and right click which brings up a "Add GPS" Option. When you select this it will run a perl script (GPSPhoto) which will go an check each photo in the selected directory and adds the nearest GPS co-ordinate. For me this works on NEF and JPG.

This took a bit of setting up, but now is a very fast and more importantly fairly idiot proof.

If anyone is interested I should be able to write up a few instalation/config notes for this.

It's not that bad honest, I just prefer to spend time up front to make it a lot easier day to day.

It's also very cool (well I think so...read Nerd alert) to be able to click on an image in Lightroom/Picassa and get a google map of where it was taken. Even better as it works with my pocket Casio Z1000 as well as the D80

It's easy to geotag photos:-

When out walking I have my gps turned on and my the clock on my
digital camera sync'd to the gps time, then I don't need to know much
about the walk for future reference, I just take a photo that
interests me at various points along the walk for a record which is
date/time stamped.

Back home I import the photos onto my PC using Google's excellent free
Picassa (http://picasa.google.com), I import them into a folder format
of 'YYYYMMDD_Location' to make it easier to find on my PC.

I import the gps track details onto my PC and place it in the same
folder as my photos, then using the track file I geotag my photos
using the excellent free GpicSync http://code.google.com/p/gpicsync/ GpicSync if you want will also generate a file for Google
earth to see the track you followed and the locations of photo's you
took, but I just stick with Picassa.

All this takes me about 10mins to do (plus an extra 20mins every
couple months to backup everything to cd)

Every so often friends/relatives will show an interest and want to see
the photos, so I use Picassa to upload some of them to my Picassa Web
Album, and as they are already geotagged they can click the map view
button on the website to see the location they were taken at.

Example-
http://picasaweb.google.com/David.J.Whitehead/20070629_Borrowdale_Castlerigg

OK Ive been looking at the sony gps-cs1 and the geotek dpl700 but is there anything else out there to throw into the mix? Im completely new to gps (apart from my tomtom haha) so be gentle. I literally want to be able to tage my photos when I get back home.

Any software recommendations would also be helpful - is there anything that you can show the tracking of your journey but also the pictures? does that make sense?

There are lots of options, the GiSTEQ DPL700 is nice in that it comes with a complete set of software, including displaying tracks and photos on a map. I would recommend the AMOD AGL3080 over the Sony GPS-CS1, as the GPS sensor in the CS1 is not as sensitive, and has a lot of problems in "urban canyon" environments.

You haven't said whether you're on a PC or a Mac - on a Mac there are fewer options. I've done a spreadsheet (web page) comparing the various hardware available, and reviewed all of the models in the sheet.

GPS logger comparison spreadsheet

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom