GPS for Cycling/Walking in Western France

R

rlmts

Can anyone recommend a sat-nav for use in Western France.

I would like to use it for exploring cycle paths etc, also some walking, and finding way back to resort!

I have looked around, but am confused about the mapping software / basemap descriptions.

For example, would there be a gps map available for a portable sat-nav (hand held device) showing paths etc in Western France?

Any advice / comments appreciated.

Rich

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Hi.
Im using GarminXT on my E71 9and on my N95 before that) and that covers almost anywhere as long as i have the correct map loaded. It can show you not only the paths but the coordinates as well Useful if used in conjunction with a "real" map.

Garmin XT will also allow routing for pedestrians and cyclists so its quite usful to have.
Plus it works with the internal GPS receiver in the phone.

If you have a s60 phone it might be worth looking in to.

Not sure if that helps, just giving you one option.

Martinho76

Standard Member
Stuff like memory map is good if your looking more for off road style maps.
This will give you cycle patch info as well as its OS based.

R

rlmts

Thanks Dave, thanks Martin,

Am I correct in assuming all those alphanumeric references are for mobile phones? (E71 N95 and S60)

And is 'memory map' a satnav supplier?

And what you described is also available fro France?

Thanks
Rich

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
Hi.
Yes, in my post i was talking about my Nokia E71 and N95. Both run the S60 operating system (as do a few Nokia's) and these allow you to install Garmin etc.

R

rlmts

Thanks Dave,

The Memory Map company appears to have OS type GPS maps of France for GPS enabled phones.

Their maps are also seem to be available for hand-held PCs (organisers?)

Will have to check out things like battery running time, ruggedness etc... any pointers here?

Rich

Martinho76

Standard Member
As you say above memory map only make the software but it the best around for off road type usage and they have recently added France.

With memory map you need to plan your route either on your PC or your handheld. It doesn't give turn left turn right instructions that you would get on a standard in car satnav.

If you don't have a unit already you could get something like this to run memory map. Built in GPS, extended battery, large screen.
Buy Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N560

R

rlmts

Thanks Martin,

I'll check that link out.

And now that I know Memorymap supply OS style maps of France for use on Windows Mobile devices, it's just a case of me finding a suitable Windows smartphone or PDA with built in GPS hardware (I think!) Please correct me if I am wrong!

Rich

marcbc

I have a Garmin Edge 605 which is superb. Loaded with the right maps, you can not go too far wrong with this. An important thing to consider is how long will you be away from power during your walk / cycle. The Edge gives approx 15hrs between charges.

The screen is small, but I do not have a problem in reading it.

garmin_edge_605.jpg

R

rlmts

Thanks Marc,

But will it run Memorymap software for the French OS stle maps?
Rich

marcbc

Thanks Marc,

But will it run Memorymap software for the French OS stle maps?
Rich

Sorry Rich, only just spotted this.

I do not know the answer, I use Mapsource software and have all of Europe on the PC. I download the piece of the map I need for the country being visited.

According to a bicycle shop's webpage it is Memorymap compatible.

Last edited:

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Hi.
Im using GarminXT on my E71 9and on my N95 before that) and that covers almost anywhere as long as i have the correct map loaded. It can show you not only the paths but the coordinates as well Useful if used in conjunction with a "real" map.

Garmin XT will also allow routing for pedestrians and cyclists so its quite usful to have.
Plus it works with the internal GPS receiver in the phone.

If you have a s60 phone it might be worth looking in to.

Not sure if that helps, just giving you one option.

How do you load other maps for Garmin XT. I have this on my N95, but I thought it was just for driving with turn by turn instructions.

dave_bass5

Distinguished Member
How do you load other maps for Garmin XT. I have this on my N95, but I thought it was just for driving with turn by turn instructions.

It comes with a program called Map Source.
This lets you select areas of the world and then the program converts that to a file you then send across to the device.
So for example if you are going to the USA you highlight the USA on the map and the program makes a map file for that country. Im not sure if you can have more than one loaded, ive only ever used one for the UK.
You do of course need to pay for a licence to use each new map ;)

R

rlmts

I do not know the answer, I use Mapsource software and have all of Europe on the PC. I download the piece of the map I need for the country being visited.

According to a bicycle shop's webpage it is Memorymap compatible.

Thanks Marc,
That 'Mapsource' mapping, is it OS style.. topographic, or mainly roads?

Any chance of an internet link to the bicycle shop where it says 'Memorymap compatible'?

Thanks,
Rich.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom