1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPRS Services Abroad - Need to change anything on my phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Andy.T, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hiya, I'm going to France soon and have got O2 to unbar my XDA-IIi for use abroad.

Does anyone know if I need to configure a new GPRS connection for use abroad? Will my Access Point Name of "mobile.o2.co.uk" etc need changing for example?

Or are foreign providers simply granting you an IP address for you to use your providers connection back home if that makes sense? Any advice would be much appreciated. :confused:

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ive never had to, on vodafone or orange.

you may check o2 website for their "friendly" network in France (vodafone was always F SFR for example) and GPRS may only work with that network.

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Cheers for that, O2 has 3 friendly networks in France and GPRS will allegedly work with all of them. Hopefully, as per your experience, it'll just work.

It kinda makes sense to me technically, that your still being validated by O2 back home and that the friendly network is kinda just providing the connection home if you see what I mean.