1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPRS help please

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Stereo Steve, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I wonder if somebody can help me out understanding GPRS. I have a Nokia 6310i on Orange PAYG and a Sony Vaio which I connect at home with wifi and on my mobile with bluetooth using a dial up at 14.4kbps. Obviously this is rubbish and I want to investigate GPRS but don't quite understand how it works.

I have done some digging and with the info, edited one of my dial up connections to dia *99# and set the phone GPRS to orangeinternet. I hit dial and it connected immediately and I could surf! This was a suprise, not only that it worked but that I had any access as I have not bought any, just £50 worth of minutes.

So, what's going on? I understand that GPRS is always on so is my mobile now always connected or do I have to dial each time. Also, at home, do I need to turn bluetooth off to make sure my laptop doesnt' dial on my mobile.

Lastly, how am I surfing and how am I paying for it?

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    GPRS is theoretically always on but in practice, stays in a "dormant" mode ready to connect at a moments notice. In the UK connections are generally 28.8K although GPRS is capable of faster. How fast it is depends on the number of other users in your cell using GPRS. You are billed according to the amount of data transferred rather than the time connected. Prices are relatively high. You'll need to call orange to find out the charges for PAYG. You can simply tell the laptop not to dial automatically as with any other modem in "Internet Options" within Control Panel.

Hope this helps :)

3. embee

embee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's £4 per MB on payg...keep an eye on your balance, that's how you're paying for it ;) very easy to use a lot very quickly

costs here http://www.orange.co.uk/multimedia/cost.html

There should be some sort of indicator on screen when gprs is active, little dot, something blinking etc (just had a quick search....it's a "G" )

I'm not 100% but I think you can get an app to monitor your gprs usage

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys. After reading your advice and playing abouta bit I managed to get a connection by making the phone dial *99# and it works a treat! I ran my streaming work software (java app) for about 10 minutes and it knocked 70p off my balance which is way cheaper than 14.4 dialup used to cost me.

Sorted now, thanks for your help. It is indeed a 'G' that comes up on the 6310i. I mainly use wifi on the laptop and have a manual connection for the mobile that I open before starting the software so I can still do this with the GPRS and then disconnect at the end.

Can't believe it was so easy to get working!