GP surgeries

NO, they're not. They are working within the guidelines issued by the NHS. GPs are working harder than ever and they are now treating more patients than ever before. Of course a Private GP would be less rushed and not be pushed for time - they are also asking £150 for the privilege and are under no pressure to treat a certain number of patients. GP surgeries are fully open but hey have to work withing the Covid guidelines issued to them. Just because you can't see this does not mean it is not true.

My wife is a GP who runs a large surgery group that is having to deal with increasing numbers of fully vaccinated staff being off for Covid and also deal with he rules that determine how they interact with patients. Calling GPs lazy is insulting and frankly childish. It is disappointing that so many people have this attitude about something that they have little to no experience of.
BIB: That's somewhat misleading, isn't it?

There is a lot of mis/disinformation going on at the movement, some from known trolls. (not you apolloa)

BIB: That's somewhat misleading, isn't it?

Lots of schemes out there, but I wouldn’t use that one as the nearest doctor is nearly 30 miles away, the one I went to see was 15 miles. Plus for me I’m covered for private phone and video calls, just not face to face appointments. Entirely depends on your situation as to what cover you need and what you pay.

There is a lot of mis/disinformation going on at the movement, some from known trolls. (not you apolloa)

Thanks, as I said above it varies what you pay. But I was happy to pay the price to see someone face to face that was 15 miles away. But as we all know from here the level of service people receive from NHS GP’s also varies from area to area.

Our local surgery has just had the gore to (as they put it) "proudly publish the results of our recent patient survey".

Well, I think it should be nominated for the Booker Prize as a work of fiction!

They claim that 60% of their patients are satisfied with the time it takes for them to answer the phone and 88% are happy with the GP appointment time they are given.

My own experience is over 60 mins and over 4 weeks respectively, so I'm tempted to conclude that the survey must have been restricted to the staff and their relatives!

Certainly, if they believe these results, they're fooling no one but themselves.

Our local surgery has just had the gore to (as they put it) "proudly publish the results of our recent patient survey".

Well, I think it should be nominated for the Booker Prize as a work of fiction!

They claim that 60% of their patients are satisfied with the time it takes for them to answer the phone and 88% are happy with the GP appointment time they are given.

My own experience is over 60 mins and over 4 weeks respectively, so I'm tempted to conclude that the survey must have been restricted to the staff and their relatives!

Certainly, if they believe these results, they're fooling no one but themselves.
My guess is that the results wouldn't be true, another example of their dishonesty.

..as in it's between 9 and 5? given that they don't mention the date of the appointment :D

Sorry to spoil your quip, IG, but the actual result was:

"88% of respondents were satisfied with the appointment they were offered".

As we all know, there are lies, damned lies and statistics! :lesson:

Damn, I tried so hard to make it work...

I do sympathise, ours have been very hands off for ages.

My dentist recommended I get a tetanus vaccine after a bad fall outdoors recently. Getting through to my GP by phone after numerous attempts was impossible, the call centre was permanently extremely busy, at capacity, and they dropped the call. 111 by phone was also extremely busy and the recommended online system I found useless. Not being in the best of health at the time, I gave up. I think my odds for not getting tetanus look to be quite good, but expect I'm far from unusual in practically giving up on the current healthcare system as a bit of a dead loss.

On the plus side I got my Moderna booster this morning so at least there's very little chance of going down with Covid.

Last edited:
I see GP's have now voted to strike over Savid's plans for them to see more patients face to face:

Meanwhile here's a lovely article from my local MP, thank God I didn't vote for him, almost blaming the patients for the GP crises and fully defending he receptionists triaging you, basically he's standing up for the GP's:

79738147-3639-41EB-B422-F851315E77EB.jpeg

Makes me sick with what's going on.

I had a feeling it would go full circle and they would start blaming us.

I thought the responsibility was on GP's to give medical advice to patients, not patients to avoid having to ask when they need it?

We have clearly seen with the responses on this thread that GP services at the present time are a total lottery.

Many seem to have good provision, with their GP's seeing as many patients as possible including face to face appointments, but far too many are in my boat and struggle to even get one to do a video call, with receptionists acting as if they are doing us a favour by just talking to them.

Yes, our local surgery hasn't been involved in the covid jab programme at all, but I bet that won't stop them cutting back on what little service they now provide! :(

All sorted for them now, no need to strike.

I am glad they can now be paid £15 to £20 per shot plus travel expenses on Sundays, and other work they haven’t been doing.
I know it’s totally ridiculous to suggest, but if the government had any common sense you’d have the GP’s seeing people and doing their day jobs and not be involved in giving out the vaccines, whilst an army of volunteers and nurses gave the vaccines out. Without paying anyone any money to incentivise them to do so. But this country is going to the dogs more and more each day it seems.

I am glad they can now be paid £15 to £20 per shot plus travel expenses on Sundays, and other work they haven’t been doing.
I know it’s totally ridiculous to suggest, but if the government had any common sense you’d have the GP’s seeing people and doing their day jobs and not be involved in giving out the vaccines, whilst an army of volunteers and nurses gave the vaccines out. Without paying anyone any money to incentivise them to do so. But this country is going to the dogs more and more each day it seems.
Something not quite right with it all isn't there? I'm totally convinced everything the government is involved in and any decisions they've made on covid are motivated by money.

They've proven that they want to dish out the rules to the public and follow the rules or else, whilst all the while ignoring them themselves. Your suggestion would be spot on but of course would never happen as money couldn't be made out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something not quite right with it all isn't there? I'm totally convinced everything the government is involved in and any decisions they've made on covid are motivated by money.

They've proven that they want to dish out the rules to the public and follow the rules or else, whilst all the while ignoring them themselves. You're suggestion would be spot on but of course would never happen as money couldn't be made out of it.

It certainly seems that way doesn't it? They see free money from the tax payer and dig in for themselves. Lots of people getting very very rich from the tax payers money it seems instead of it being used as it should be.

My experience this week. Contacted my surgery Monday evening using the e-consult form, had a phone call mid-afternoon yesterday. Referred for an x-ray, which I'm having tomorrow, and to the joint/musculoskeletal physio, appointment on Friday.

I'm amazed at the speed I'm being seen though I'm wondering if I should be worried as it's so quick :D

Last edited:
Wow! Took me 4 months to get a hospital X-ray from the first point of contact with my GP (and 2 months before even getting to see my GP F2F.) Currently about to change my GP as my practice has become such a useless waste of time.

Been to drs surgery twice in two weeks for routine tests...

Last time I went to the doctors I rang the buzzer in the lobby and they told me to go and wait outside by the side door.

Half expected them to examine me on the bench in the car park.

This is obviously purely anecdotal but this is my GP and NHS experience!

My doctors experience is bad. Registered with a new GP in October 2020 and couldn’t get an appointment no matter how hard I tried. I had a persistent cough that I couldn’t shake and it was troubling me to breathe.

Fast forward to May 2021 and I get oedema’s on the back of both my legs, I am talking open wounds and fluid dripping from them. Still unable to get a face to face appointment with a doctor and my friend ended up dressing them for me and I stopped bothering a doctor.

September 2021 my breathing was even worse, I couldn’t even go upstairs to the bathroom without gasping for breath. My friend phoned an ambulance on the Sunday night, to be told there would be an 8 hour wait and that it would be better if I could have an ambulance another time.

I waited a further 24 hours and then I felt as if I was on the brink of death as I couldn’t get any oxygen into my lungs at all. My friend was told there would be a 6 hour wait and did she know CPR just in case. After an hour my friend had to ring 999 again as I was changing colour and she was concerned that i was going to die.

An ambulance came within 20 minutes and I was rushed to hospital, upshot I was diagnosed with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs as well as right sided heart failure. I was discharged from hospital after a miserable 6 days where I had no visits and no contact with anyone in the outside world as my mobile phone died and no one was allowed to bring anything in for me. I spent at least 12 hours a day crying non stop and was physically attack while I was in there by an old lady who had dementia because I just wanted to be left alone.

My friend went back to dressing my legs but with the correct dressings, the hospital effectively did nothing about my leg wounds, just dressed them but 2 weeks after being discharged I contracted pneumonia and was given antibiotics to clear it. This caused an infection in my leg wounds which I was given further antibiotics and the strongest co-codamol to deal with, all of this was done with an on call doctor who didn’t even give me a face to face appointment but decided by legs were infected by what I described over the telephone.

I had 4 cancelled hospital appointments and finally saw someone a couple of weeks ago who finally looked at my legs and informed me that my legs are extremely infected and in my right leg, the one where the wound is massive I am going to have to have an amputation below the knee and they hope they can save my left leg. The hospital pointed out that I should have been seen face to face when I reported the pain in my leg wounds and not had a telephone appointment.

Forgive me for saying this but when I read about how we need to protect the NHS and how hard they work well sorry but all the NHS has done is let me down and I am going to have my life permanently altered because of NHS incompetence.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom