Government Investigation into DVD Prices

Juz

Established Member
Reaction score
Just seen a report on the six O'clock news....I'm sure it'll make no difference at all - just like it didn't with the numerous "investigations" into CD prices.

They were comparing US and UK prices.

Oh well...here's hoping :)

You could be right Juzminator,but a little bit of hope is better than no hope at all and them having no investigation.Not only prices should be the same as America but also presentation and extras should be the same too...!

regards
:)swartzy :)

Strangely enough, the topic of DVD quality/extras wasn't even touched upon.

Grrrrrrr :mad:

Heard that report on SGR.
There's hope yet.
Mind you, people pay the £20+ prices, so as long as that happens we are stuffed. :(

Exactly General,

One day, people will realise that the only way to beat down prices is to vote with their wallets and just not pay stupid high street prices.

There's always alternative sources of supply as everyone who contributes to this forum will testify.

Don't the extras have to be separately passed by the BBFC and therefore nobody can be bothered/that's not always viable to keep the rating they want?

Buy R1 is my answer :)

Actually the prices of DVD's in America are on the whole more expensive than over here. Most new releases retailing around the $29 mark. Though there are some bargains to be had. K Mart were usually around $20.

When they looked into the price of CD's, and they said nothing was wrong, prices went up shortly afterwards. :mad:

Pity they won't have the guts to do what the Aussies (and New Zealand) are (thinking of?) doing - which is to outlaw region coding because it's anti-competitive.

What a waste of time doing this report going off previous attempts. Have CD's become cheaper? No. Has gaming software become cheaper? No? Will DVD's become cheaper .... I detect a trend? :)

I realise after time there is 2 £22 etc but on day 1 of release they are full price. Bad fur day on N64 £65 anyone? Thought not

Just seen this on the BBC News web page:

The European Commission is to launch an
investigation into the high price paid for DVDs
by European consumers.

Mario Monti, the EU's competition commissioner
has written to Hollywood film companies asking
about DVD pricing policies.

DVDs bought in America are cheaper than
those available on this side of the Atlantic,

But because of a regional disc tagging
system, which can make US discs
unreadable on foreign players, European
customers cannot take advantage of the lower
American prices.
"EU consumers are artificially prevented
from purchasing DVDs from overseas," Mr
Monti said.

Could Mr Monti be more wrong??

If you want to see what else he gets wrong go to
BBC Newsnull

i think priceing of dvds a a whole is a crock . just like the fact that cds where cheeper to produce than lps . so obviously they charged more for them .

dvds are a lot cheeper to produce than tapes and exactly the she same is happening

When the internet kicks in full steam, Cd's, DVD's etc will tumble in price as people can simply import things as we all do now for example on R1.
Cd's can be bought for £8.99 for instance from www.cd-wow.com very easily. It's the generation growing up now with PC savy, that may well be the ones to see the end of high street rip off prices! That or shops go under.

could'nt agree more

just sad to see so many people on the steet getting riped off everyday

it is the biggest thing that is hurting dvd. if the price was the same a video, video would disapear over night

i know more people who will not buy a dvd player or even consider one for this reson
joe publick looks at a dvd and a tape next to each other and just can't justify paying twice as much for the dvd

i'm just glad to see that dvd is doing as well as it is but it could be doing a lot better

get rid of reg coading and drop the price a little and things will look a lot brighter for the format

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom