1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gothmog.. help on your projector mount!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimbobuk, Apr 5, 2003.

1. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hiya..

I'm refering to the mount you showed on this thread..

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74056

Just wondered if you could go into some more details (as detailed as you can) on what you did to make your mount...

I've got a tv mount and my 300u.. will be giving it a go tomorrow... using a sheet of paper to locate the screw holes.... drilling them into the stand... getting screws... which you then screw in from what will be the top side of the mount (when mounted upside down) through the tv stand and into the projector.. about 1cm like you said.... then you just let it hang like that!??

THanks just want to know where i'm going... you didn't use any washers or bolts or anything!????

Thanks.. i've looked at your closer up photos on your site.. but there are none showing the actual workings of it, or from above to get an idea about how you screwed them in from ontop

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use three bolts per screw as per this pic here

The bottom two bolts are screwed against each other until they lock, this was to prevent me screwing the whole lot much further than an cm into the unit. The top bot allows fine adjustment of the pitch of the projector when lining it up with the screen.

It could probably be improved with a couple of spring washers below and between the two bottom bolts, but I didn't have any to hand :D

Other than that you've pretty much got it, just get someone to give you a hand when doing the final alignment of the bracket on the wall, £1600 in one hand and a pencil in the other up on a wobbly chair can get a bit dodgy :rotfl:

-- Jon

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jimbouk,

"£1600 in one hand and a pencil in the other up on a wobbly chair can get a bit dodgy".........

Abso-bloody-lutely!!!

When you go to attach the mount to the wall/ceiling, mark the postion of the lens on the mount with a pencil/marker, mark the equivalent postion of the centerline of the screen on the wall where you're going to attach the mount, and use these two marks to decide the exact position of the mounting point, without having the projector actually bolted to the mount at the time. When the mount is securely attached to the wall, then you can bolt the projector into place, with one hand supporting the projector from underneath, and the other to attach the bolts thru the mount.

Take care !!!!!!

Sean G.

4. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the advice folks.. I'll be taking it easy and will have an extra pair of hands when the fiddling happens..

Sorry maybe i'm being daft but I dont get these descriptions too much... lets look at it from top down on the platform that the projector will hang from... say we have X and Y coordinates ... you mean mark where my lens is in the X on the mount.... ?!?

Ahh in writing it to explain it i get it more... so its all in the X... as in were talking about making sure that the lens is in the middle of the screen in the horizontal.. I'm worrying more about the Y height of the lens... the lens seems to want to have its centre point a few inches below the top of the screen image... anyways... I have a tv stand with an arm with an elbow in it.. so i should be able to position the projector in this direction +- about 50cm say... I thought this made sense so that fine adjustments weren't required as they could be done using the arm... got it from argos... only £20...

This is where two hands will come in... but dont you think it'd be a good idea to setup the mount... mark the holes.. drill the holes.. with the projector not attached.. then attach the projector freely... finally screwing the thing to the wall.. I can see how this would be bad... but the freedom of working with the projector unmounted appeals... when i assemble the tv stand I'll see how easily the main base comes off the arm... if this is removable to a point then that would be the best of both worlds... mount the projector to the plate.. then attach plate and projector to the arm with the mount already secured...

I am a little nervous but what the hell... making sure when i mark the holes on the paper for the holes of the projector i really need to describe the orientation of the projector.. hopefully the holes will line up with some of the edges of the projector so that in lining the holes up square with the mount you are effectively lining up the projector squarely.... as i said the height worries me a little... and overall i'm gutted i can't sit as far away behind the projector as i could whilst testing it... when so few picture concerns occured... sitting underneath or slightly behind the projector leads to it being pretty good but sometimes perhaps you can see it is a low res image blown up big...

Ohh well.. one day i may be able to mount it in a different room better... for now i look forward to it all being setup... and i pray i get some joy in that department.. thanks for outlining it... dunno if i have these screws/bolts.. may need to go to a DIY store to get it... as for how to drill the holes in the platform.. well i assume a manual drill is good to start no!?? i dunno...

Thanks.. :)

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Jimbouk,

I reckon you wouldn't stand a snowball's chance of drilling the holes in the plate part of the TV stand if it was bolted to the wall/whatever.

It sounds as though you are unsure how to tackle this. If you find the following description too basic/detailed/whatever, feel free to ignore. If I was doing this job, I'd

1 measure the width & depth of the base of the projector

2 draw this rectangle accurately on a piece of decent tracing paper, and draw a centerline thru the rectangle, from front to back, corresponding with the front and back of the PJ, also marking accurately the position of the centerline of the lens.

3 put the tracing paper over the base of the PJ, making sure that the sides of the rectange lined up accurately with the PJ.

4 mark the position of the mounting holes on the tracing paper.

5 mark the centerline of the plate of the tv mount/whatever ( you find the centerline by marking the front edge of the plate in the middle, mark the rear edge of the plate in the middle and join these two with a line.)

6 use the two centerlines to align the tracing paper accurately on the plate.

7 mark the position of the mounting holes from the tracing paper onto the plate.

8 mark the position of the centerline of the lens on the plate (for reference when mounting on the wall/whatever.

9 Drill the holes in the plate - - - - -

- - - - - - NOT !! You should use an electric drill, or by the sound of it get someone who has one to do it for you. The holes should be about 5mm in diameter, you might be better off marking the position of the holes clearly and bringing the plate to a garage/metal works (if you don't have a mate who'll drill it properly for you.)

10 Align the mount in the correct position on the wall, using the position of the "centerline of lens" mark as reference - you're right this is in the "X" plane, establish the "Y" plane position by reference to the height of the top of the screen - the manual should tell you the differential between this height and the position of the projector.

11. Attach the mount to the wall.

12 Attach the projector to the mount - - - - - -

- - - - - - - I believe that the mounting arrangement for the AE300 is the same as the AE100 - you'll need to get M4 bolts and corresponding sized nuts - you should be able to get these from your local hardware, or prepacked in B & Q.

If you have doubts about being able to do this, then Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese, by all means completely **** up your £20 TV thingy from Argos, but make damn sure to

DO ALL DIY STUFF IN A DIFFERENT ROOM FROM YOUR PROJECTOR !!!!!!!

and be explicitly aware that the advice contained in this post carries no warranties or assurance of success - that's all down to you !!!

Phew !

All the best,

Sean G.

6. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks... I have packed my 300u away again in its box till its up properly...

Your details are appreciated... I am not particularly good with the DIY side of things but my general geometry and maths is pretty good ( I program 3D games for a living ;) ... but having your steps set out is great to just read through and confirm...

Its late now anyways... on to the morning.. I will be carefull... its going to take a lot of steps and the dependencies between these steps complicates a little... if worst comes to the worst i wont get the projector fitted this weekend.. not going to rush it... fingers crossed tho :/