1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotcha! *Stubborn* Z2 dustblob shifted

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Off The Fence, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey folks

I've had a very stubborn green dust blob on my Z2 for several months now. Every night after watching a film, I'd have the lid off & get in there with the can'o air to try & shift it without luck.

It's been back for a service, but they didn't shift it (and I didn't want to send it back again; what with couriers being frustrated footballers)...

I've gone as far as taking the top PCB off to get better access with the air can with no luck there either.

Anyway, had another go last night after watching Kill Bill 2.

I cut a long, thin piece of a4 (about 3mm accross), and inserted it between all the parts in the optical path I could get at with the thing still switched on (using it like a very thin swab).

Couldn't believe it when, on pulling it back out on one attempt, the blob had moved into the corner!

The place where I'd inserted the paper to do this was *not* on the LCD panel itself, but between the green side face of the prism & the 'pane' between it and the LCD panel (not sure if this pane is a lens or what?).

Well, once I knew where it was (and I'd moved it near the edge), I got a fresh can of air & got in there with some precission bombing :)

Got the little sucker! :clap:

Can't tell you all how happy I am this morning...damn thing was really spoiling my viewing (no matter how hard I tried to ignore it).

I can finally put the screws back in the Z2 case!

Anyways, just thought I'd share in case the green blobs of death are sending anyone else mad :smashin:

P

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My AE300 is due for a de-dusting and bulb change in a few days and I will be attempting your method Paul. Who says an old forum dog can't learn new tricks!! :D

Like yourself I've had my PCB's off and tried sticking all sorts of thin thingies down between the panels and polorizers to no avail. Never thought of a sliver of A4 though. Nice one! It didn't mark the plates or anything did it?

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Keith !! Long-time-no-see!!

Go on then, scare the newbies and tell them the run-time hours on your AE300 !! :clap: a screenshot of the Self-test screen would be one for the forum annals.

Regards,

Sean.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    LOL :D

I'm at 4930 atm, so about a week left I reckon. I've decided to take a pic at 4999hrs first, just incase the counter resets to zero automatically or something. Probably won't and I'll get a pic of the self check screen with the magic 5000!! Gonna post it over at avs too. I'm gonna be world famous!! :D Maybe Pansonic will give me a prize?! :D

Regards

Keith

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's brilliant..............

................. I thought they did and you've put 4930 hours up on it !!! :rotfl:

On a more serious note, have you noticed any colour degradation from the LCD panels, evidence of heat damage etc... of great interest because of the high runtime hours..

All the best,

S.

6. Off The Fence

Off The Fence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hey Keith

Nope. No nasty side effects (I was very careful tho!).

Watched 'O Brother Where Art Thou' yesterday without any of the usual green, circular distractions.

For the moment, I'm one very happy bunny :)

7. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Calibos , does the projector actually show you on screen that you are on that amount of hours ?

Ritz told me that it will probably show 2000 on screen ( i'f i'm lucky) ...BUT....that it would take "5000hrs" to get there ( in low lamp mode that is ) ! :confused:

So what should i be looking for before i change the bulb ? 2000 or 5000 ??

I'm now confused ! BTW i have an ae500 :smashin:

Cheers Mate !

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just heading off to work fjorko. I'll post an explanation tonight If no one has got there before me.

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    FJorko,

I presume you access the AE500 hidden menu the same way as you would on the AE300.

Press MENU
    Highlight OPTIONS with the cursor (arrow) buttons and Press ENTER

Down the bottom of the options menu you should have realtime hours displayed anyway but for a more detailed hours screen continue as described below.

Highlight OSD and Press and hold the ENTER button for about 3 seconds.
    In the hidden EXT Option Menu Highlight SELFCHECK and Press ENTER

Now unfortunately I have just discovered that I lost my ftp program and settings in the last reformat so I cant upload pics until I get on to my ISP support and get them to tell me my ftp password. Better do that soon before someone steals my thunder and posts their own 5000hr pics. So for the moment I'll just try and describe what I see on my screen.

First line says Selfcheck

Second line is R1.03.S1.070.A1.00......(whatever that lot means!! :Grin: )

625i.......................(ie. Pal 625 interlaced.... the current picture format)

G_Saved OK U_Saved OK.............(dunno what these mean)

TEMP OK FAN OK........................(Self explanatory)

TEMP1 96......is the internal Temp of the PJ

TEMP2 172....is the ambient Room Temperature
    Now neither of these figures are actually Celsius or fahrenheit and the Lower the number the higher the Temp!?!? Don't ask me Ask Panasonic!!

LAMP OK 2000H OK...........(lamp is ok...well duh! :D 2000H ????)

TOTAL 4942H RESET 0............(Realtime Hours to the nearest hour and number of lamp resets which is 0 in my case but will be '1' after I change the lamp and reset the hours)

4941H50 610 1980H40........(Realtime hours to the nearest minute, 610 is the number of on/off cycles, and 1980H40 are the adjusted hours. By adjusted I mean that in my case because I run the lamp on Low, this clock counts up slower. If I ran High lamp then the 2000hr clock would count up in realtime and thus both sets of hours figures would be the same. TBH I don't know why anyone would run high lamp because it makes f-all difference to brightness but you lose 3000hrs of lamplife!! But in your case you cant run the AI contrast thingie with low lamp on your AE500 so its up to you whether its worth the tradeoff of 3000hrs. Certainly AE100/200/300 users shouldn't bother with high lamp

Then I have another 2 lines that both read 0H00 0 0H00
    I presume the first of these lines will record details of my second bulb the second of these lines will record my third bulb details. The thing is though while the average person will get say 3 years out of each bulb so all in thats 9 years worth and now doubt the PJ would be binned long before then. I'll fill those next 2 lines in about 2.5 years!! What happens then?? Unless my PJ melts or €2000 3 chip DLPs are on the market, I'll still want to use my AE300 in 2.5 years! ie in 2007 will my AE300 not accept anymore bulbs or will bulb 4 just overwrite the first line?? If its the former then I WANT A REFUND PANASONIC!!! :D:D:D

Hope that all made sense!! :blush: :boring: :eek: :rolleyes:

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Good stuff........ just for the record.....

.. It's the firmware version...

... It's the Gamma Correction Data check - if there's an error it indicates the need to replace some pcb....

Temp 1 is the temp around the LCD panels, Temp 2 is the temp at the intake slot (low numbers here indicate that the filter is "choking" - needs cleaning.

IIRC, the temperature goes down from a "baseline" of 200... the lower the number, the higher the temperature - I can't find the exact details at the moment.

Racking up 5000 hrs is a testament to the durability of the AE300 - and your own devotion to front projection !!! average "on time" of 8 hours :eek: .

Have you noticed any colour degradation, or dimming of the lamp ?

Regards,

Sean.

11. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    So is the thrid figure in that line the one i should be keeping an eye on, i.e. 1980H40, and when that reaches approx 2000hrs then change the bulb ?

Cheers Mate ! ( Very informative !) :smashin:

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sean,

No colour degradation that I can see. Thats why I was frustrated last night that I can't get my FTP program to work and upload the pic I took. You'll remember that pic of Black Hawk Down that I took on my AE100 back in '02. You know the blue tinted famine desert scene at the very beginning (4:3 area on my AE100 was green!). I took a new pic of the same scene and the colour is uniform across the whole screen (well except for my big dust patch which will hopefully be rectified using Pauls method). It highlighted the dramatic contrast between my old AE100 at 3000hrs and my AE300 at 5000hrs.

As for bulb brightness, well its only when the new bulb goes in that I will actually see if I had a noticable decrease in brightness over the last year and a half with my AE300. The specs indicate that you will have lost about 50% of bulb brightness by the end of the lifetime of the bulb. It certainly doesn't look like that to me and if I do notice a big brightness increase with the new bulb, that would indicate that the decrease in brightness of the old bulb was gradual enough not to be noticeable. ie Say the bulb brightness decrease by 25% from one day to the next, then you would probably notice it, while if it lost that 25% of brightness graduallly over the course of the first 9 months of the PJ then I probably wouldn't notice. Definative answer next week!! :D

Fjorko,

Its when that third figure reaches 2000 that you need to change the bulb. Don't worry though, when I had a few hundred realtime hours left my PJ started flashing a warning on every startup that the bulb would need to be replaced shortly. Also the realtime hours figure at the bottom of the normal options menu flashes whenever you enter that menu. ie You'll get plenty of warning that you need to order a new bulb (that is unless your bulb goes pop before it has reached the end of its lifetime in which case...no warning!)

I actually miscalculated my usage and had my new bulb before I even got the warning. Its been sitting on a shelf for nearly 3 months. Theres a 90 day warranty on them . I hope thats from date of insertion into the PJ rather than from date of purchase!! Got mine from Keneda at Price Japan. Twas €300 IIRC. PRJ sent if from stock in the US and they invoiced it at $80 without me even asking so that I would avoid paying import duty! Ordered a new processor for my PC at the same time from the US and it was invoiced for the full amount. Had to pay €50 extra to the DHL courier at the door!!

13. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I assume the adjusted hours ( i.e. the third figure ? ) will only show up if you run in LOW lamp mode ?

And.......if the realime hours ( 1st figure) gets to 2000 and you know you are running in LOW lamp mode, do you just ignore the message that you need to replace the lamp and then rather wait for the third figure to reach 2000 !

Sorry if it sounds confusing ! :laugh:

14. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It shows up no matter what lamp mode you run in.

If you run exclusively in High Lamp mode (in which case your bulb will need to be changed in 2000hrs) both the first (realtime hours) and third number (adjusted hours) will be exactly the same. ie the third number (adjusted hours) actually wont be adjusted, it will be running realtime too.

If you run your lamp exclusively in low lamp mode then the third number (adjusted) will run exactly 60% slower than realtime ie for every 1 hour of realtime usage this figure will count up 24minutes. ie. if you divided you realtime hours number by 2/5 then that would be what your third (adjusted) figure should read.

If you run the PJ with a combination of low and high lamp during the bulbs life the third figure will count up 1 hour for every realtime hour when its in highlamp and will count up 24 minutes for every realtime hour when its in low lamp. Thus the third figure might be slightly different then the figure you get by simply dividing realtime by 2/5. ie My realtime atm is 4941hrs. My adjusted is 1980hrs. 4941/5x2= 1976.4 This indicates that I have run 'almost' exclusively in low lamp. I think I ran it on high for a day when I first got the PJ before I remembered to switch it to low lamp. I think when you first switch on the PJ defaults to using high lamp and I forgot to manually change it to low lamp till the second day I had the PJ.

Thats why the PJ doesn't go on its realtime counter when deciding when to display the 'change bulb' message but goes on the 2000hr counter. ie It didn't start displaying the bulb change message when my realtime counter approached 2000hrs. It displayed the message when my third (adjusted) number approached 2000.

I hope that made sense! :D

15. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    AH HA - Yep that makes sense and it basically confirms what Ritz told me which was something along that line !

Thanks for the info !

Very useful :smashin:

16. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Finally got FTP working. Heres the pics to compare. First is the AE100 at about 3500hrs and the scend is the AE300 at 4950 hours

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Keith,

Jeez, those numbers are impressive....... almost as impressive as the obvious lack of polariser damage compared with the picture from the aE100 at 3500hrs. I reckon that running in High fan mode has a lot to do with that (or maybe Panasonic are using different materials for the blue polariser.)

One way or another, thanks for posting that....................... stunning :hiya:

Sean.

18. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Simply amazing !!! :thumbsup:

Hope mine will last that long !