Got Virgin Media "Super Hub" and want better speeds? Read here!

Reaction score
Right you probably got the Superhub and getting your speeds..

But are web pages slow to load?
Does I player not buffer that quick?
Does youtube take for effing ever to load up at 1080p?

What you need is that good old cable modem they used to supply right?!

But the problem is you cannot just connect it back (if you still have it)
So what you need to do is get onto your "SuperHub" and change it to Modem mode.

You will need a wireless router to then plug into it..I'll leave those details to you but if you are like me you have at least 1 or 2 wireless N routers lying about from previous ISPs or indeed when Virgin were giving them out.

Just place the SH into modem mode, plug your wireless router's "internet" port into the 1st port of the SH and you should be almost done!

It does depend on Wireless Router to Wireless router the exact settings etc but here are mine for an example...
Just as a side note I have been using this since about 3 years ago and have never looked back:
www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Fantastic bit of software/firmware for most home routers. Just really slick.

So here are my settings:
20120807095627.png

In case you are wondering the ip address of my gateway "192.168.100.1" is the superhub's ip address in modem mode.

Also when you use DD-WRT you get some really cool features like usage stats. here is my WAN/Internet connection on my router in a bit more detail:

20120807095812.png

You can see day to day exactly how much went to and from your Wan port. or in other words how much internet traffic you have sent/received.

Also you may notice the gateway address is different to what I configured..this is only because I did have a different IP address for some reason before turning it into modem mode and I felt it would be better to constantly point to the Super Hub as the gateway rather than a gateway which might change.

It works with either address as the gateway.

Right now I can say 100% that my internet is overall feeling a hell of a lot faster.

Pages load quicker
Youtube is like going through a file locally on my pc, no buffering needed.
iplayer is 100 times quicker and i was getting problems before where it would stop after say 19 seconds of a video and start loading...not any more!

And downloads are quicker, they used to start off at say 500kbps and gradually go up to xMbps but now it just starts off much quicker and stays there.

Just such an improvement to my BB experience...I hope this helps someone else!

I've just swapped back to VM after a proper ****** experience with Sky for the past 4 months and I was given the Super Hub and I've got to say that I've never experienced such quick and responsive broadband before. Could it be that my SH has an updated firmware maybe? :confused:

I've just had 30meg fibre installed and the superhub's wireless signal is just truely terrible. I can sometimes hit 25meg on wifi, but quite often it just cocks up and I get literraly dial up speed according to speedtest.com and nothing works. When I have a wired connection, my speed is maxed out at 30meg, so it's definitely the wifi and no matter how various combinations of settings I change, it never stays stable.

I had previously been using an old Netgear 54g router on an 8meg ADSL connection without a single problem. Is it possible to connect the SH to my Netgear router? The internet port on the netgear though is for a phone line connector and not an ethernet port connector.

I've just found my answer. I have a netgear DG834GT which I believe doesnt have a WAN ethernet port and so my router won't work :(. Don't really want to have to spend ÂŁ50+ just to get decent wifi connection!

For us that have paid ÂŁ30 to upgrade to the Superhub and paid extra to upgrade the speed we shouldn't be needed to shell out more money for a router.

Since being upgraded from 30mb to 60mb the Superhub is on it's ass. Top speeds of around half of the advertised and wifi drops out every morning meaning a hard reset of the hub.

Virgins answer is to lower it back down to 802.11g speeds which is great if I didn't spend money on 802.11n adaptors which they supply !

Yes it is tempting - Could sell the home plugs then !

You not got a router you can try it out with?

Guess it's just network geeks like me with a few routers at home :(

:rolleyes:

No i threw it away earlier in the year.

It was about 7 years old

Dont buy a dlink dir-615 D5 hardware version, it is not supported with dd-wrt firmware (yet).

Before buying check this link dd-wrt router database

If buying a dlink dir-XXX router, just type dir in the search box and it will pull up a list of hardware versions that dd-wrt supports.

Then go on to ebay or where ever you like and purchase.

Hi there.

I have used my old 615 with ddwrt on it aswell. Everything seems to be working ok apart from i cant see my wired devices. I have my nas tivo dvd player etc on a switch and they seem to have internet connectivity but i cant ping them, any ideas?

how is it all connected?

should be:

Super hub port 4 >> 615 internet port >>> any other port on 615 to the switch >>> to your devices.

If that is how you have it and no static IPs are configured then it should all work.

Try turning all your devices off and back on again, perhaps they are still trying to use an old IP address?

yea thats how they are all connected mate. I have tried restarting everything. When i go into status then lan only wireless devices are showing. Is there anyway i can reassign ips to these devices? is there any pages that i could screen shot and show you?

Cheers for the reply btw, been messing on with it all night!

If you've got a superhub, worth checking that it's connected to the correct power adaptor (see pic).

If your superhub is an upgrade, the installer may have used the existing power supply which supplies a lower voltage and can cause issues with the superhub.

Attachments

• DSC01186 [749x768].JPG
    DSC01186 [749x768].JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,199
I know this is quite old now but does it still apply now, I have a virgin super hub and the speeds are all over the place lately, it used to be fantastic on wireless over 100mb. Now I have a android Sony TV and it seems to be very slow most of the time. Can this still be an option.

Same issue here, just had Virgin installed for the first time and it's up and down like a yo-yo. The wireless seems to disappear every other morning needing a restart.

Might just buy a new router to try it out and take it back if it doesn't make any difference.

Yes I will do the same, maybe try something super- doopa like a Draytek. I have stopped my crap Wi-Fi connection to my Sky box and TV, I have hard wired them. So much for super wireless Wi-Fi speeds, they shouldn't be able to get away with that statement.

Same issue here, just had Virgin installed for the first time and it's up and down like a yo-yo. The wireless seems to disappear every other morning needing a restart.

Might just buy a new router to try it out and take it back if it doesn't make any difference.

I ended up using a dir-615 with ddwrt installed, got it for ÂŁ20 off eBay.

Although I swear my vm speed itself drops to basically nothing about 10pm sometimes. Its very frustrating.

I ended up using a dir-615 with ddwrt installed, got it for ÂŁ20 off eBay.

Although I swear my vm speed itself drops to basically nothing about 10pm sometimes. Its very frustrating.

That's a good price, I'll keep an eye out for one.

Could the drop have anything to do with the traffic management policy?

Thresholds

That's a good price, I'll keep an eye out for one.

Could the drop have anything to do with the traffic management policy?

Thresholds

It shouldn't be, the traffic management policy should only kick in after uploading of 5GB of data, and the diminished speeds shouldn't stop anything working completely.

Heres the link I used to enable double stream wifi on the dir-615 with dd-wrt, although I'd check which revision of the DIR-615 you've got first.

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - DIR-615D4 Bridge Repeater issue

It should double the transfer rate on the DIR-615 from 150 Mbps to 300 Mbps (the dir hardware can support 300, but its disabled in the firmware by default), be warned, it may shorten your router lifespan.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom