1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the Xcard this morning

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Comer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Well I don't really have that much to say except thet I was pretty impresed and disappointed.

I was disappointed because my projector used the VGA socket for both RGB and component in. I was hoping that I could send the component signal through the VGA cable but the xcard won't allow this and it would be a pain if I had to unplug the cable every time I wanted to use the VGA out on the PC. So I decided that I would move the PC to within 3 feet of the projector for today and test the xcard with a 2 metre component lead that I have and then I put in back in the box ang pass it on to a better home.

Firstly it was a doddle to setup. Insert the card, plug the remote sensor into a comm port and install the software... all done in five minutes.

Using it is quite simple too. Select your output (composite/svideo, component or vga) and that's it. You use the remote to switch between component/svideo and vga.

The remote is great too, it controls most of the functions of the DVD player.

The picture quality with progrssive component (480p) was obviously not quite as sharp as with VGA, but it was, in my opion, better than when I used a VGA to component transcoder, I thought that the colour was better with improved contrast over a transcoder and I thought that the transcoder made the image pretty fuzzy, with the xcard it was a little sharper. But like I said it was not as good as feeding the pj 800X600 VGA, however it was very stable with no more judder than I see on the monitor and absolutely no tearing.

I didn't setup the sound so I can't comment on that.

Just remember that I'm not by any means an expert so take all this with a grain of salt if you wish and if anybody wants to try the xcard, well, I now have one to get rid of.

Conor

2. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Comer
    Sorry to hear that you poor sod:( :(

But dont worry I could tell you about my life and you would feel much better:D

Can't believe the tosh has only one vga\component in.....stupid

So what do you use your pc for then - sky via dscaler and it dosn't do the tearing with this??

On your xcard was the panning\smoothness as smooth as your normal dvd software\standalone dvd player? did your above quote indicate that it's juddery?

Also did you try it via the vga passthrough cable?? Did it stutter as normal?

j

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No I only use the PC for watching DVDs

It was as smooth as on a standalone DVD player

Yes it stuttered as normal

Conor

4. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Comer
    Pardon me for being increadably stupid but ...

why can't you use the xcard with component if you only use your pc for dvd's and you don't need the vga input at all?

last thing the was xcard smoother than regular dvd software?

j

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Jonny

That is a good question (don't be so hard on yourself :D .) I do play the odd game on the PC and also for some DVDs, where the picture quality is not great (e.g. AI) I would like to keep the option of being able to switch between VGA and component. My PC is in a built in cupboard with only the front face showing. I have to dismantle half the cupboard to get at the back of the PC.

"Was the xcard smoother than regular DVD software?" I don't know, but I'm fanatical about judder at this stage and it seemed smooth to me, but some DVD movies are full of juddery pans anyway (Toy Story, Sixth Sense) so I would find it difficult to give an honest answer. The one part of the Xcard that bothered me was not being able to use my expensive sound card and TT software player...it felt like always having to drive a Mini Metro when you have a BMW in the garage.

Conor

6. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Comer
    Now I see.

I have an idea, why don't you get a vga switch and do

xcard component
    |
    \ /
    radeon vga tosh component to vga adapter
    | |
    | |
    ------> vga switch <----------
    |
    \/
    pj

I take it the tosh vga adapter takes component in one end and vga out at the other?
    Have to say Im pretty fanatical about judder\tearing myself see it almost everywhere! even when i'm not watching dvd's!

Does the software and spdif out seem cheap to use compared to your £270 on soundcard +tt?? You didn't test the sound did you but I wonder if it compares to your maudio card.

Regards
    j

edit: I spent ages getting the little bars above to line up and when I post the message the formatting is all gone?? well anyway the jist is to put both your vga's out into a cheap switch box and to use the tosh component vga adapter at the pc end instead of the pj end.

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Jonny

Thanks for all your help on this but I forgot to mention the reason why I went down the PC route in the first place...vertical banding. It's very slight using the vga input but it's just as bad with compnent as it was with svideo and composite, I guess it's a problem with the three video inputs. this is not a fault of the xcard but the projector. I must just accept that i made a bad choice of projector and live with that until my next upgrade.

I think that I might try your VGA switch idea but not for a few days...I just don't have the heart for it right now

Thanks again Jonny

Conor

8. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Comer

You poor thing:( , just to make you feel better, my mpact2 card for pal progressive dvd through my pj will only do 640x480@16 bit without tearing!

im looking forward to the new Phillips 963 dvd player that will do pal progressive component out for my pj...one day..

So why did you choose the tosh over the plv-30 as I have its clone the eiki vm1, I demoed a mt1 last year and it was good but it seemed very slow at updating the screen everything was trailing around.

My pj has the banding also, guess sometimes you need to live with it's faults - damm...can't they just make these things perfect???

j

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheer up!
    How much do you want for your X-card?
    I'd definitely be interested if you're wanting to get rid of it.
    PM me, and I'll mail you.

Regards,
    Ian Guinan