got the xbox .. wow !!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by monkeyleader, Mar 14, 2002.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    so the wait finally came to an end as I finally picked up my xbox from Game in Cambridge (12:02am to be exact. ) I didnt buy any of the AV packs with it as I wanted to read some reviews and get some advice , so just plugged the xbox straight into the TV. Got Halo and RallySport (which didnt get played at all last nite) Halo - wow, thats all I can say - I seen many reviews and even had a tinker in some shops which had a demo system going - its blowen me away, all of a sudden it was 6:45am this morning and I had to get ready for work, Ive now spent all of today reading more and more reviews of games .. think Im going to have to get wreckless and possibly amped.

Ive got tomorrow and Monday off, nice :cool:

So onto my questions - the best way to connect this to my system for best picture and audio.

I am a Tosh 40" rear projection TV which by the way has onboard component. I have the Yamaha DSP 620 amp.

Im hoping to pick up what I need tomorrow.

ta,

Nige

PS: I was so wacked this morning I have just realised that at the end of my voice mail greeteing on my work phone, instead of saying thanks I said xbox .... oh dear !!

2. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's awesome isn't it. I finally walked out of EB in Staines at 12.35 and didn't get much sleep last night. Amped and Halo are my two favourites so far.

I haven't seen a component XBox lead yet. I have mine hooked up using the advanced scart. This does RGB scart to the TV plus optical to the amp. Amped sounds fantastic through the home cinema kit.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have access to a component TV, then component will be best...try the us high def pack..gives component out :)
    Most people with projectors/loewe tv's/high spec toshiba tv's/ will be using the component for best picture. If you have a problem ordering one, try Museumsteve :), he runs a games shop :)
    I think people are going to be quite shocked by the X box....i love my ps2....but i dont think it will be able to compete with the X box a year from now.....i have never seen first generation games of such high quality before...
    Best regards
    LittleT2

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Played Gotham last night and thought, yeah ok but must be better... hooked it up and played today and it just gets better and better.

As for Halo, it's INCREDIBLE. I haven't seen anything like it.

One thing I would note is that the Dolby Digital soundtracks are a bit on the ropey side.

The trailers on each disc are terrible for sound and both Halo and Gotham do not have a centre speaker on my set up. The voices come from the font left and right is a stereo mode. All other speakers (rear etc) work but it appears that these two games at least are 4.1.

Anyone disagree?

Regards

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    I'd tell you if I could find an advanced AV pack :(

I need S-video to feed into my amp and out to my TV. Same at the office. Seems there aren't any official ones out there. Saw a joytech one in a Dixons catalogue, but no stock avialability.

Can't believe that its so difficult to access one of Xboxs USPs - DD5.1.

Why didn't they just put the optical out on the main unit? a***s.

6. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I would love to use Component, but I already have my dvd player hooked up to the TV via compent and I dont want to chop and change ... just looks like Ill have to wait for the Svideo pack .. any ideas when its due in the uk ?

nige

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really jealous of all you guys! I WANT AN X-BOX!!! I hope you feel sorry for me!! I've only got my Sadly deceased DC!!

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo.
    Shame its not 16x9 though.

9. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Halo is a little overrated....

Only joking. Now when can I leave work?!

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a go in Comet today on Gotham and was blown away. The handling is awesome and the graphics...say no more. Only question is, how can I get one without actually paying for it? Had some major bills this month and my trusty on Sony 29" just packed up so splashing out is not really order of the day.

S

11. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Richard,

Your not the only one looking for the advanced AV Scart. I can't wait to experience real time DD, as such I've only breifly checked out Halo. Which like everyone else has said does seem to run smoother, and just as fast in my view when the console is not set to PAL60 in the dash.

Bought my xbox today after much deliberation but in the end thought why not, it's not as if I couldn't afford it. Even from the brief look I had so far I don't think I'll be regreting. Tomorrow I'll be out hunting for that scart. Just a shame Halo isn't 16:9

stephen

12. themoron

themoron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picked up my X box today, with Oddworld, Wreckless and Max Payne. Absolutely brilliant...Oddworld and Wreckless are amazing..playabilty excellent..graphics amazing. Max Payne is a brilliant pc convesrion, loved that too.
    Do check out Wreckless if you liked the driving part of Grand Theft Auto....Oddworld is amazing full stop...
    And this is from a ps2 fan :)
    Best regards
    LittleT2

14. baccattack

baccattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah... finally managed to track down the advanced AV scart at my local MVC. This was after driving elsewhere first to my nearest game store, EB, who didn't have it and whats more had a completly clueless sales assistent who cound't understand why I wanted it so badly. Can you believe he tried to say it wouldn't imporve the sound and picture much! Also did the decent thing and picked up a second controller and railsport challange so I'll be able to offer some exiciting two palyer action.

stephen

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,051
    Nah, I'm specifically looking for one with SVideo. MS don't seem to be listing it over here yet, but its avialable in the US. Joytech are doing one with composite and S-Video out, and a built in optical cable. That'd be fine, but noone has stock.

BTW, Paiger - if you want to experience project Gotham for less cost, you could pick up a Dreamcast and Metropolis street racer.

(sorry, couldn't resist :) )