1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

got the upgrade bug, but is there an svs near me?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by whats_this, Nov 17, 2004.

1. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hey everyone,

have caught the upgrade bug and got about 600-800 quid to play with depending on selling my quake ( pls dont laugh, i was young, i was ignorant :blush: )

but anyway just looking at the svs website and playing some true bass dvds on the quake i feel very under whelmed. Ive pretty much decided on the 20-39+ and eventually would like 2 if i ever get a dedicated hc room (its a pipe dream).

As this is a major amount of money for myself, i would love to listen to at least something svs before i buy. I was wondering, no hoping :lease: there might be someone near Croydon who might be willing to give me a listen.

ps. have pm'd digger, as think he might be somewhere near me, but dont think hes checked his messages

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I expect he's shy and hiding behind his SVS. :D

Nimby

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I live in Luton, a bit of a way from Croydon, but on a clear weekend, with no traffic you could get to me in about 75-90 mins :)

I have an SVS PC Ultra, I would say you go for one of those, fantastic driver the Ultra!! Although the 20-39 PC+ is also fantastic.

4. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks kazman that sounds awesome, but i shall have to try and find someone to give me a lift as cant actually drive myself, damn my lazyness.

I will find Someone even if i have to bride them; so desperatly want to hear one of these bad boys. On another issue how good are you in the mornings? fancy waking up some neighbours, nice and early bout 8 or 9?

ps do you happen to live anywhere near a train station.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Getting married just to hear an SVS is a bit drastic

6. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    lol, wasnt quite gonna go that far ian, but my girlfriend has made comments about it being a perfectly good waste of shoe money, did u know you could almost buy 3, yes 3 sets of shoes for one svs. in some peoples eyes the shoes win. and space wise I would agree, but dont worry, i just put my shure e3cs in my ears, close my ears and i genuinely cant hear a word she says (best buy ive ever made until now obviously)

7. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have a pc-plus 20-39 which will be up and running in a few weeks when sevenoaks install my kit.I live in Kent.
    Paul

8. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There are certain priorities in life. But I certainly wouldn't ask Imelda Marcos (or your girlfriend) for an opinion on subwoofers! :rolleyes:

You can buy shoes anytime, anywhere. But you can only ever wear one pair at a time. They also take a lot of wearing out. Does she buy her shoes from her own income? If you are both working then what you spend some of your income on has nothing whatever to do with her shoe allowance. :nono:

Do we have yet another candidate for the self-assertion class? :devil:

Nimby

9. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Newbie265, thats exactly what i was looking for, if you could let me know when its set up, then we could sort out a time. Who knows at this rate i might even get it ordered in time for christmas :D

Newbie Could i quickly ask what the rest of your system is?

Nimby no my gf nots quite that bad. starving children or shoes? just to clarify there is no way the money is going on shoes (i have no problem with self assertion, and she wasnt being serious, i hope :lease: )

Im not actually working and hence the year of saving, but im actually currently studying for my a levels and have been just doing the odd thing here and there.

I know there are a load of other things i could be saving for, uni, a house but my logic is that its something that i'll actually enjoy now and will hopefully last the next 30 years, its an investment is what i tell myself.

10. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When it arrives it will be
    Denon 2900 dvd player
    Arcam avr300
    Monitor Audio Silver s8s ,centre and sfxs
    Arcam cd73t
    Arcam P80 power amp
    Svs pc plus 20-39 :D

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice setup Newbie the Monitor Audio speakers are excellent :smashin:

John :)

12. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    looks like an awesome system newbie, sure you will enjoy it. If you would p.m. me when you have it up and running and are ready to let me come and have a look (understanding that you will obviously want to have a little play with you new system first, but whenever you are ready). Much thanks again.

ps how much did you pay bax in the end as i am not sure what the exact figure is and would like to know what it is before i order.

13. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I paid Bax £120.15.No problem coming for a demo as soon as its up and running will let you know,sevenoaks are installing and calibrating it for me ,so it should be sounding great when you hear it. :thumbsup: :D

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Mornings on the weekends are fine mate, weekdays might be a bit of a problem :).

There is a train station not too far from me, about 5-8mins to drive there. Let me know if you are interested.

My setup can be seen here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/article.php?a=122

EDIT: That is if you can't wait to hear one :) Newbies setup sounds awesome too :D

15. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Is always good to know your kit is set up to the best it can be, so you dont have to fiddle, too much anyway :D

Would just like to extend my thanks to you guys for your helpfulness and the support of the forums generally. It is an awesome little community here

Think i shall be going to see both as would love to hear (feel) the difference as maybe just maybe i could stretch to an ultra, we will see. Shall pm you kazman and thanks newbie for the bax info

btw newbie have you actually got an svs sitting in your house and not in use? if you do i am impressed or mortafied im not quite sure really. :eek:

16. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just PM'd you back mate.

Might be an idea to bring some of things you want to listen to as well, tunes you know to have a lot of Bass in there, think we are sorted on the movies side, as I have a lot of the tester discs used by many.

Look forward to meeting you :)

17. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Basically I only have a small pioneer system (which I'm going to try to sell on here) which is ideal for your first venture into HC but the lack of power is a bit overwhelmed by the svs so I will be patient for a few weeks. :D

18. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    fair enough, all making more sense now.

19. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would just like to publicly thank kazman for allowing me to visit him this weekend to demo his Ultra. Only had about half an hour as it was my mums birthday and was pressed for time but was completely blown away, almost literally.

Made up a sub demo disc to listen to. I know everyone of those scenes and I was completely blown away by them, musically as well.

I am completely sold on an svs, but I really feel the Tower is maybe a little bit to big for me, especially in the long term.

I am currently leaning towards a PB12-Plus/2. Has anyone compared to an ultra?

Having done the maths it seems to cost 703 quid with 4.5% + 17.5% again. Know this cannot be the complete cost and i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas what this would cost me in total?

Kazman have sent you a pm can u just confirm to me that u've got it not sure its sending them for some reason

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It looks like you've missed off the shipping costs. I estimate $1,450 for sub plus shipping which equals about £790. Add in £36 for duty and £145 for vat and it should all total up to about £970

21. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you enjoyed the Ultra you wont be disappointed by the pb12-Plus/2 as smurfin can vouch for. My pb12-Plus/2 cost me £960 earlier this year, might come out less now actually.

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Lo mate

Just PM'd you back :D

The PB12 Plus/2 will give you more extension and will go louder, but the Ultra driver sounds better to my ears. The PB12 box subs are also huge!!! The cylinders take up a lot less floorspace :)

Regarding the extension and power, you would probably only notice the difference in a large room.

Does anyone have a link to the comparison pics of the Ultra driver and the Plus driver? :D

23. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks guys. That sounds a lot better than i thought it was going to be. At the minute i think i am going to get the Quad 21L if i can sell my B&W's and hope the dollar falls so in a few months, after working my ass off, i can get the svs at a better price.

:rolleyes: Just need to agree with my dad that if the dollar hits 2 then i can buy one and pay him back later (bet he will love the sound of that) :grin

Having read what people have said about the Pb10 i was wondering if anyone had heard a PB10 and a higher end model. Is it really worth 600 quid more

:

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
  25. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Think im starting to move towards Kazmans way of thinking on this one, feel like im being knocked from end to end like a ping pong ball, but is all good fun really. In the Ultra vs plus/2, what are the main advantages of the plus/2 and are any audible advantages of two drivers over 1?

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haveing 2 drivers means it will go louder with greater output so it will annoy the Neighbours more :devil:

John

27. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Ya, but it will need the room to breathe, in a small room, a single plus/ultra driver and dual plus/ultra driver probably won't make that much difference, unless you set it at psycho pressurisation gain levels :eek:

You will implode your innards doing that :D :devil: might be fun :D

28. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kazman you've been watching too many Horror Films :devil:

John :)

29. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It has been said on some of the US forums and also here that the Ultra driver has a different tone that is preferred by those who have heard both.
    Just get the box ultra with 2 drivers!
    Now that is huge!!!

30. whats_this

whats_this

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    would be nice, think id rather have two ultras though. When ive got the cash think I'm going to go with the ultra and make space for it. currently taking pictures of my B&W 600s to post when i sell them. Took the speaker covers off and remembered how beautiful they look. bit sad about selling them, they were my first real speakers.