Got the tech now need help...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mollycheese, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mollycheese

mollycheese
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have been trying for ages to turn our living room into a dedicated cinema room.
    Finally we have all the av equipment, the projector is up but needs moving as upgraded speakers (mk sound) need more room.
    I have been looking at custom installers but seem to be very expensive given that we have the equipment. I went down another route and got a quote from an interior designer but that was £15k!
    Want new lighting, floor and somewhere for all the tech to go. I'm not sure whether I need an electrician, carpenter, handyman or full on cinema room installation expert.
    I am in Milton Keynes and if anyone has any tips or recommendations that would be really helpful.

2. dj-dulux

dj-dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    To build a room takes many many hours and if you want a turn key project with clear responsibility to one supplier then it unfortunately costs. As you have also bought the equipment, the supplier is potentially also talking on the responsibility to make it work reliably together, a far more difficult task than you maybe realize. If you used the hardware as recommended by an installer it would be cheaper as no R+D needed, they will already know what works together.

I have unfortunately done rescue jobs for people who have had cinemas built by all the trades you mention, main issues were reliability with control, poor connections, poor design leading to many more failure modes than necessary and no documentation leading to us having to start the jobs again.

Dupe...

3. wattwatt

wattwatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have to agree with ^^^^ and say the best advice you could take on board would be to find a reliable custom installer (company). I've recently done a full cinema/lounge and after hours of research and conversations on here and a few failed custom installer visits (I'm very picky when it comes to tradesman/cowboys). I found a company/person I trusted liked the information he gave me and the way it was given, So went for it...

Don't get me wrong it is very expensive and does add up to get the room done but theres that old saying 'YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR' there's a reason most of the installers are in the industry and it's because they know what there doing and what works together and how to get the most out of the kit.

You will prob find they are costing a little over what they normally would based on the fact you have got all the equipment already and if they do the install then they are taking the risk for failers and problems with said equipment. 95% of my equipment was purchased on the advice of both my installers and the shop in which they work together with and its all amazing and I enjoy my room everyday with a big smile.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Put together your requirements list and put what you think would be an acceptable budget against each line item and let us know what you arrive at :)

A non-exhaustive list could be:
    • Room design.
    • Bespoke AV cabinet design, manufacture and installation.
    • Lighting design, supply, installation and programming.
    • AV System design.
    • Existing hardware reinstalled, integrated and calibrated to the room.
    • Supply, integration and programming of control system (assuming you will want some form of ‘Tablet’ control).
    • Supply of new AV hardware and cabling.
    • Electrical services.
    • Supply and installation of new floor.
    • Supply and installation of wall coverings (possibly including acoustic room treatment).
    Have a look at the members Home Cinema Gallery and get an idea of how much work is required to get a great looking and sounding room – purchasing the ‘best’ hardware is only a part of the story.

Joe