1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the Sub, now I need advice on Satellites? Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bwstsw, Oct 6, 2003.

1. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

Cheers to all the people who offered advice on which sub to go for, in the end I went for the BK XLS 200 which is being built and tested for me right now :smashin: hopefully it should arrive within days ETA Friday :cool:

Now I need more advice. Within a month, when I next get paid I want to upgrade the satellites to my Sony system, the sub will has been replaced, now the 5 sats need the same treatment, then lastly the Amp.

I was looking at the KEF Eggs, I have searched the forum and a few have both XLS 200's and the Eggs together, but are there anymore recommendations, or as the Eggs about as good as one could want from a top-line Home Theatre? Music and movies are important in this choice by the way! :D

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Gallo Micro's or A'Diva £££££££££'s or try infinity Oreus sats fewer £££££ depends on what you are looking for!

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ruark Vita, Monitor Audio Radus 90, M&K K Series. Proper two way speakers (unlike some)

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    My recommendation would be to listen before you buy. I wasn't too impressed with the A'Diva's for music. As Nathan says two way will be better...especially for music.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The eggs are for people who pretend that their wives won't allow them to have big speakers and are as much a compromise as any miniscule speaker will be.

If you can run to standmount size speakers you should get much better sound reproduction from things like Kef Q1 or Monitor Audio B2

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Uh, why should two way be better? If you think about it, if a single unit is covering the desired frequency range for a satellite (as the A'Diva does) then if anything, it should be beneficial to not have a crossover in the way.

Here's a link to Nic Rhode's original post on the Gallo's from over a year ago - he talks about the benefits of not having a crossover: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39284&highlight=Gallo

Speakers are, as ever, a personal choice though so it's best to audition yourself. Don't be put off, however, because a speaker only has a certain number of drive units.

Matt.

7. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    OK. If they do the full range then I guess they shouldn't. I thought that was the reason why I was so unimpressed by them. Just looking at them I wanted to buy them but when I listened I was disappointed.

Jus,

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    They are sensitive little buggers and need a good run in new out the box they are crap! after 100 hours they are good at that size BOSE is the main compatition and they sound better but the sub setup is essential!

9. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    JM Labs, Sibs.

I chose these over the newer eggs, better looking and sound more like a full speaker than the eggs. Better sounding ooption in my opinion.