Got the Philips 32PF9830 today !

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by jonandjen, Oct 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    After months deciding (and nearly on several occasion went for the Panny 500 or the Sharp GD7) finally got my PF9830 delivered today (only ordered from Ebuyer.com yesterday afternoon!!) What Hi-fi award was the final straw!!

Must say superb. The PQ on bog standard analogue sources is incredible. Most Sky channels are superb too, although the set is almost too good for some of the lower bandwidth channels. Lots of menu's etc to tweek the PQ, so will have a further go at getting everything sorted. I have mot had time to hook up to HDMI DVD player or Xbox via component yet , but will do so over the rest of weekend.

I must say the Ambilight and the elctronic swivel stand are brilliant. I know these could be looked at as just gimmicks and it is these sort of features which have probably made it so pricey, but I must say they are both sublime and absolutely well worth the extra.

Must say the price of £1649 from Ebuyer was the cheapest I could find anywhere on the net. This was made even better when it arrived this morning with a free Philips LX8300SA DVD Surround Sound System. Ironically I won't use it as (after just as much time deciding on a system to match the new TV) I'm going for a Denon / B&W based separates system, but for free (and worth around £200+ at web prices) it makes the £1649 an absolute steal. Order one now before Ebuyer cotton on and put the prices up!!!

All the best, jonandjen :)

2. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Had you seen the Philips prior to buying?
    What was the Panny lxd500 like by comparison?

3. jonandjen

jonandjen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    stanlyntl,

To be honest I hadn't seen the Philips in action before I bought. I know it seems ridiculous to buy an expensive LCD without testing etc, but I had admired the 9986 for a long while and it is acknowledged that the 9830 was the same but only better (as it were!!)

I have seen the Panny in action, and to be honest the PQ (which was on a High Def feed in Curry's) was absolutely stunning. The best in the whole shop. It was in a line with all the usual suspects such as the Hitachi, Sharp GD7, Samsung, Toshiba, LG (i.e all the most popular 32" LCDs on this forum, and it was significantly better than all of them.

If you were going for PQ alone, you could not go wrong with the Panny. It is also well spec'd and gets very good reviews. I honestly think though that for another £150-200, the Philips is well worth it. It has an almost unbeatable spec(although lack of a digital/freeview tuner is frankly bizzarre in this day and age). Don't forget the Philips snatched the what hi-fi award almost at the last minute from the Panny which had been there favourite all the way leading up to the awards.

Whatever your choice, you will have chosen a top class LCD.

All the best, jonandjen :smashin:

4. Scoobiesnacks

Scoobiesnacks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I looked at one in a shop today, it was running Sky. I found the picture was fuzzy. How do you find the picture quality on normal broadcast?

5. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i think the sharp range pe50 would prob knock the spots off ur panel, try watching the footy on it and say its better than ur old crt.

6. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    It's better than my old CRT :clap: