Got the machine, need the games

sutton8

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get into PC gaming but have never really got around to it. I now have a capable enough machine, 24" Dell Monitor (1900*1200), and a surround sound setup.

So time to play some games. But what?

I don't have much of an idea as to what is around. I like topics like sci-fi, politics, conspiracy, religion. Games set in space or time travel are of particular interest. As are games with super graphics. What I am not interested in is complicated games with too many controls or just firing at stuff.

Can you suggest some games I could look at. To-reiterate simple uncomplicated games is what I am really looking for.

Portal and Portal2 from valve are good games

What specs are your machine?

Download steam and do some window shopping.

I think a lot of games will involve firing at stuff, but what about the Mass Effect games?
I've never played one as ME1 installed but wouldn't launch on my system so I'm not sure this meets your requirements:)

The obvious ones are Skyrim, BF3, Batman AA. Sounds like you are just after prettiness for now and easy game play? I'd get BF3 and play it on Easy. Really nice to look at.

Problem i can see is the kind of games you sound like you would be into arent that simple (that said, simple is a relative term so i dont know to what degree you mean simple), I would look at Deus Ex: HR and the mass effect series from what youve said interests you

mass effect 1 and 2 then dead space 1 and 2 but these are 3rd person shooters set in space with horror thrown in :cool:

Core I7 3.4Ghz (run at stock)
Nvidia 560ti (run at stock)
4 Gb mem
SSD for System and ordinary drives for storage.

Pretty sweet system you got there mate :)

should be able to run most games maxed out. Only thing you will have to dial back is the AA but at your res that won't really be an issue.

Some games you might like:
Aliens Vs Predator: Aliens vs. Predator™ on Steam
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Assassin
Assassin's Creed Revelations: Pre-purchase Assassin's Creed Revelations on Steam
Portal1 and 2:Steam Search
x3 Terran Conflict:X3: Terran Conflict on Steam
Sins of a Solar Empire:Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity on Steam
Skyrim:Save 13% on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim on Steam

The Assassin's Creed games are really good IMO. not just about killing but there are little puzzles along the way to have fun with. Plus there are so many different ways to complete the game, stealth or run and gun!

AvP is pretty good if you can get it cheap. do not pay more than 10 quid for it IMO but it can be good for a quick blast and to see some DX11 in action.

Portal games are a good crack too. makes you think, work out things and some funny moments in there.

x3 and Sins of a solar empire are the sci-fi games you may want to try. got x3 myself but never got round to starting it!

And skyrim is a huge game at the moment with a lot of people playing it on this forum. looks pretty dam good to me and a lot like dragon age which I loved the 1st one but never got onto the 2nd one.

Problem i can see is the kind of games you sound like you would be into arent that simple (that said, simple is a relative term so i dont know to what degree you mean simple.

What I am trying to get at is that I don't want to be pressing too many keys, to do this or to do that. Since i'm doing this as a 43yo for the first time I have not got the patience or dexterity of a 13yo :D

I am not against shooting but want a bit brainy as well if that helps. I know that is a bit imprecise.

I should also have said as well as pretty graphics I would like games that sound good in surround. I bought an ASUS Xonar soundcard to send DDL to the receiver.

Thanks for all the quick suggestions. Going to get on Amazon tonight.

Or if you can hold fire a for a few weeks, the Steam Christmas sale will kick off soon. You will buy a lot of games during that period :D

For what you are describing i'd say give all these a go and can probably be found cheap.

Mass Effect 1 and 2
Portal 1 and 2
Skyrim

That will see you through to next year easily.

Oh and welcome to elite errr i mean pc gaming!

For what you are describing i'd say give all these a go and can probably be found cheap.

Mass Effect 1 and 2
Portal 1 and 2
Skyrim

That will see you through to next year easily.

Oh and welcome to elite errr i mean pc gaming!

In the upcoming Christmas sale you'll get Mass Effect 1 & 2 for under £10 for both of them

And if you play mass effect 1 you can use your save game character for mass effect 2 although I found 2 much better than 1. The first game has heavy RPG overtones whereas the second one is more action orientated. The third one is out next year as well! :clap:

And if you play mass effect 1 you can use your save game character for mass effect 2 although I found 2 much better than 1. The first game has heavy RPG overtones whereas the second one is more action orientated. The third one is out next year as well! :clap:

March 9th. Hopefully it doesnt follow suite and get delayed to improve console sales though.

Your character saves also carry over into the 3rd release. PLUS number 3 is getting a multiplayer mode, still not sure if its multiplayer campaign or random shootout multiplayer. EDIT: Looks like its up to 4 player Co-Op

Was also announced today that it getting side quests that were cut from ME2 so we're going back to the citadel in number 3!! BOOYA BABY!!

Last edited:
March 9th. Hopefully it doesnt follow suite and get delayed to improve console sales though.

Your character saves also carry over into the 3rd release. PLUS number 3 is getting a multiplayer mode, still not sure if its multiplayer campaign or random shootout multiplayer. EDIT: Looks like its up to 4 player Co-Op

Was also announced today that it getting side quests that were cut from ME2 so we're going back to the citadel in number 3!! BOOYA BABY!!

PC release will be delayed to further force (and increase) console game sales :thumbsdow

Last edited:
The Assassin's Creed games are really good IMO. not just about killing but there are little puzzles along the way to have fun with. Plus there are so many different ways to complete the game, stealth or run and gun!
+1

The Assassins Creed series ticks most of these boxes in one go:
I like topics like sci-fi, politics, conspiracy, religion. Games set in space or time travel are of particular interest.
...and looks pretty too.

Personally, it might sound like heresy, but I would skip Mass Effect 1. I tried playing it twice and gave up about 8 hours in or so.

It seemed so boring it put me off 2, which I had purchased from STEAM in the Easter sales. I started ME2 last week and it is 100 times better. You don't need to have played 1 either, unless you want a little more background knowledge.

I have not played Skyrim, but it seems a pretty solid bet at the moment.

Assassin Creed, personally I don't like either, the gameplay I find very clunky. A lot of people like it, but I would rather play something that has more finesse like Dark Stalkers.

Portal is awesome and you must play. I would also recommend Half Life 2 if you have never played it, it really is one of the best PC shooters of all time.

Fallout 3 is also a good RPG game.

Personally, it might sound like heresy, but I would skip Mass Effect 1. I tried playing it twice and gave up about 8 hours in or so.

It seemed so boring it put me off 2, which I had purchased from STEAM in the Easter sales. I started ME2 last week and it is 100 times better. You don't need to have played 1 either, unless you want a little more background knowledge.

I 100% agree, I played the second first, went back to the first and I literally couldnt get past an hour in, it was so clunky, boring and ugly by comparison, the difference they made in the transition to the second made the game far more fun and playable, the first felt like a game from the previous generation by comparison

the difference they made in the transition to the second made the game far more fun and playable

Yes the upgrade system is well made and thought out. The first one, where you would find 100s of the same or useless weapons still gives me the shivers. The storylines also seem more interesting, not so cliche.

With the amount you spent on the Hard Drive, GPU and Processor I am suprised you only have 4GB of ram.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom