1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the Logitech Z5500 speakers? If so, help would be great.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Morris Schæffer, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If so, you could do me a big favor. Can you measure the dimensions of the subwoofer from top to bottom? Should be around 30 mm just like the Z-680, but I need to be certain. I need to fit it under my desk and space could be a problem. Please be as meticulous as you can be. It would be hugely appreciated.

These are the speakers by the way:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/BE/NL,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

I'll fire up a two follow-up question also.

A) Supposedly, the woofer cannot be too close to the PC tower due to magnetic interference or something of the kind.
    What kind of distance are we talking about here? My bedroom ain't exactly spacy.

B) Similar to the Z-680, which I own, a cable will likely go from the hardware decoder to the woofer. Are these cables available in longer versions? If that were the case, concern A would be irrelevant.

Thanks a bunch. :smashin:

2. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    34mm high.

A: Not sure. Mines under the desk a good 3 feet away.

B: Cables are loooong.

Though why upgrade? The improvement over your current setup is tiny.

3. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A) I placed my subwoofer about 1.5 feet away from the monitor, due to space constraints. Everything seems fine.

B) The cables are long (enough for an average size room). The really good news is that, unlike the first revision of the 5500, Logitech actually listened to the reviews and now the cables are no longer attached to the satellites (got mine last week). They're just wires (good quality) and they connect on both sides using binding post connectors, which means you can upgrade them or just buy different lenghts, if the originals aren't long enough.

4. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sigh. I've got about 31 mm of space.

The Z-680 is being used my brother's bedroom.

5. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if my woofer and decoder were approximately 5-6 meters apart, the cables would be long enough to bridge the distance?! Bear in mind, I'm only speaking about the one cable that goes from the woofer into the decoder. I'm not actually speaking about all the satellite wires because I know those can always be extended. One other thing, I was under the impression even the Z-680 came with wires so why is this a big deal? I recall exending the wires myself on the Z-680 so again, this doesn't appear to be quite such an improvement for the Z5500.

6. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple sketch of my bedroom and what I would consider to be the ideal situation:

[​IMG]

Now you tell me whether this is feasible. :thumbsup: The thin wires to extend from each satellite into the sub aren't an issue for they can be extended as I have done with the Z-680. There is, however, another far thicker cable (not the power cable) that emanates from the sub and plugs into the hardware decoder. At least, this is the case for the Z-680. You can see a distance to be covered of 310 centimetres of physical space between sub and decoder. This doesn't include safety margins because cables aren't too flexible and need to bend a bit before they can be plugged into anything. In a sense, the same question should be applied to my power cable considering that my outlet is also found at my PC desk. Considering that the woofer measures 34 mm top to bottom as Toekiller mentioned, and considering I've got 31 mm of space under my desk, this solution right here would be the best course of action. Can it be done?

Thanks.

7. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable from the control box to the sub is 2 metres long. Perhaps you can get extentions for it from logitech? Maybe it's limited for a reason.

8. Morris Schæffer

Morris Schæffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I thought. Why did you guys make me all happy in those initial posts? :( ;)

9. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sorry, you didn't ask about the cable between the control box and the subwoofer! It is indeed pretty short, and it looks like some sort of serial cable.

10. BenW

BenW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Z5500 uses a 10" sub, Z680 uses an 8"