1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the HS20 yesterday, very happy (UK)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rattus, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, this is my first posting to the board, just to say hi.

We had a very productive weekend, popped in to HiSpek on the way to St. Albans for something completely other, and noticed they had the HS20. We managed to get a good look at the the picture and with both of us having seen loads of rainbows on the Sim2 Domino a few weeks earlier we were very happy with the lack of artifacts on the HS20.

After thinking about it overnight we went back down (from Cambridge) and bought it, along with the Sony 70" manual screen.

We've now got it set up temporarily on a coffee table, but should have it ceiling mounted very soon.

The picture is superb, with decent blacks in a darkened room. A very noticeable step up from our Panasonic 36PF10 TV.

Seeyah

Martyn

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martyn & welcome to the forum.

Congrats on the new HS20 :)

Still very happy with my HS10 so I imagine the HS20 should be very pleasing.

Best of luck.

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +661
    Hey Martyn, welcome to the forums and a life of endless upgrade oppertunities.
    I have read a lot about these projectors and they sound great. Are you using a progessive scan dvd player with it?

4. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Rainbows on a new piece of kit going for £3,700? I'm stunned.

5. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah its the way it goes though, some people are really susceptable to the effect whereas others can watch even the 2x colour wheel of the infocus x1 without seeing one rainbow.

The new Sharp's with 6x colour wheel are said to be the best in this regard if you can see the effect.

OR

You can go with LCD and have none of that but a few other things also come to the fore with this technology on most models based on this technology - less black level, screendoor(pixel structure), lower contrast ratio's.

6. ivor2003uk

ivor2003uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi everybody

just took delivery of my hs20 , WOW , i'm impressed

it's simply brilliant

just had to come tell somebody , i'm very sure the missus will be impressed too

6ft screen looks simply superb

well worth the wait

:clap:

7. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi rattus, and Ivor. Welcome to the board. congrats on the HS20, i have just reached 100 hours on mine....tonight.. Fantastic picture even at 8 foot wide so i am sure you will enjoy. :smashin:

All the best....Splice....;)

8. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, it's nice get a warm welcome.

Things are going well with the lounge overhaul. Most of the speakers are moved, I've bought 100m of speaker cable, designed the custom ceiling mount, got metal cut, bending it tonight.

It's going to be really nice to get the room space back from the huge TV etc.

Watched Das Boot - directors cut last night. The picture is just so engrossing, and the contrast ratio would appear about par with most local cinemas, as a purely subjective measure.

Interesting you picked up on the Sim2 demo. When we first moved into the house, I wanted to go for a projector, and DLP seemed like exactly the right way to go, this is back when the Davis Cinema One had just come out, and we demoed it but were shocked by the rainbow artifacts - not that they had a name back then.

Now when I went into Sevenoaks looking for the HS20 a month ago, they said that they didn't do LCDs, but would I like to look at the Domino. They said that it was a high speed, six segment wheel, which almost elliminated the effect we'd seen on the old Davis. However, whenever there was a light feature against a black background, we'd both see rainbows if the action caused us to move our eyes.

I reckon people who stare at the picture without following movement won't see the effect, but if you drink too much coffee like I do and are a bit twitchier then you'll get them is spades.

The girlfriend and I are seeing the HS20 as a stopgap between now and the first affordable 3 chip DLP.

Later

Martyn

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Great girlfriend :D :clap: :smashin:

10. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was born lucky mate:D

11. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Mine's not so bad. Has no objection to home cinema, just as long as I pay for it...

12. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    a 70" screen seems a little small for a projector with all those pixels! I'm sure you'll still enjoy it and it will look fantastic, but at some point try going to 100" and then it really starts to feel like cinema!

Of course the size of the room and seating distance will be a factor, but I find that a larger picture actually fits together with the large sound I have in my room. I feel they need to be comparable to work together in unison!

13. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you're absolutely right Kane, we got the 70" as a temporary measure. We intend to fit a ceiling mounted electric screen early next year, along with building a decent HTPC. Probably looking at 7 or 8 foot diagonal given the size of the room (not huge).

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I too suffer from the rainbows on every singhle chip DLP I've seen.
    I'm seriously considerind a VPLW-12-HT after seeing it play HD material.

15. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can recommend trying the HS20, it's a step up from the 12HT and the HS10, and costs less. Bonus! :)

16. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is the HS20 really better than the 12HT?

The 12HT has the DRC-MF feature but I believe the HS20 does not so how does it fair without this?

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Not that I'd be using DRC but its rated quite highly for onboard scaling.
    I'll try and take a look at the HS20 too.
    The throw may be too long for the room though. And I did hear that the HS20 has a louder fan?

18. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVDcake,

the "step up" comment is based upon my reading of what Sony and the press have said about the intention for the HS20 to relpace the 12HT, and I get the feeling that the two are quite well matched in picture quality, but then you get the new digital connection options added, DVI-D and HDMI.

I'm going to use DVI-D from HTPC in the longer term, so that was a factor for me.

On the DRC-MF feature, it would appear that they've merged most of this processing into the scaler without making a fuss about it, as it will play progressive and interlaced sourced DVD's and TV without any bother. The quality of the interpolation is amazing. I can play NTSC discs without seeing any line structure which I'm really impressed by.

On the subject of throw, it's just dandy for my room, which isn't all that big. I've got a throw of about 12ft, and I'm currently using a 70" screen, though I can take it up to over 100" with the zoom if I want to.

I'm very impressed with the bang I've got for my buck, and I'd advise people to have a look at the HS20, but I truly doubt it would be right for everyone.

If any one lives in or near Cambridge and wants to see what it's like, especially in the new year, drop me a PM.

See yah

Martyn

19. Noger

Noger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very valid point, don't underestimate the improvement in pq with DVI-D. I simply didn't believe the picture was going to get THAT much better (as someone posted on here to tell me !) ... but was amazed.

And that is only from a cheapo Samsung DVI DVD, can't wait until the "big boys" get their act together.

20. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errrr put the h20 next to the 12ht and they are not alike.

the 12ht had an rrp of £6000, ok they never went for that in the shops. it is a broadcast quality unit.

look at the build next to the hs20, and the 20 will look like a toy.

Sony did price them self out with wv12 unit though, but a calibrated one is awesome.

they can be had for a real bargain at the mo, and they have not really been around that long

Darren

21. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well I know a place that has the HS20 and the 12HT . I'll get a demo on both.
    Intention is to use initially with my HTPC. Are there any issues with pixel matching on these models.

Eventually I want some sort of HD capability. DVHS or one of the vapour formats.
    Hence the interest in the high res panel models.

(handy for half life 2 though when it comes out)