Got the green light to Buy my HTPC

djcla

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SHowed the mrs the laptop runnng 7MC tongiht although no sound as i have lost the SPdif adapter, but assume that will work ok in 5.1. Had to run via VGA to my 1024 x 768 Plasma (panasonic px60) which after some tweaking ran smoothly. For some reason 7mc does not seem to have a widescreen 1024 x 768 setting like previous versions so i opted for 1280 x 768 and although slight overscan was fine. SO i am hoping via HDMI should be perfect as VGA is a little washed out.

ANyway need some help deciding what to buy (i know not another thread but always fun getting and giveing advice i think).

Planning to build around the Silverstone GD02 case and now the hard part the bits for the inside.

Hard drive I already have a spare so will use that for the time being just need help on the rest of the bits. Budget say £500ish. I will be buying the new Blackgold Dual DVB-t and DVD-S card when it comes outin december so will use the USB DVD-T dual TV adapter i have interim. Would rather go down the seperate VGA card route and reluctantly going to have to be an ATI 5xxxx series which does not work with CoreAVC for hardware decoding and there has been mention of some BBC HD picture issues..

Now i need some help on Motherboard, CPU, PSU and fans needs to keep this quiet as a mouse and not to thirsty on power.

put the following together which i think should be fairly quiet and a decent setup but would like some advice as its certainly adds up..

SilverStone GD02B Grandia Desktop Chassis mATX 450W
Corsair VX Series PSU, ATX, PS/2, UK Version, 80 PLUS® certified
Silverstone NT01-E fanless cooler
Asus Maximus III GENE, Intel P55 Express, S1156, DDR3 2133(OC), SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, mATX
BX80605I5750 - Intel Core i5 750, S 1156, Lynnfield, Quad Core, 2.66GHz, DMI 2.5 GT/s, 8MB Cache, 95W, Retail
2GB (2x1GB) Super Talent Project X, DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz), 240 Pin, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, CAS 7
5570 ATI Graphics card

I have no idea if this lot will all work together or if the CPU is any good so some guidence would be great...

Last edited:
Hi,

95W with a fanless heatsink - I wouldn't unless you have a gale blowing through the case.

You will definitely (IMHO) need a fan on your heatsink

Tony

Take your point and after some great help from vlife decided to copy his spec with the asus maximus gene 2 and a 65w CPU .

Well i have had so much excellent advise on here so thanks, and with a lot of help from Vlife i have now got a spare room full of kit.

500W Silverstone ST50EF-Plus-SC
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, S775, Wolfdale, 3 GHz
SilverStone GD02B Grandia Desktop Chassis
Silverstone NT01-E Fanless Heatpipe Cooler
Asus Maximus II GENE, Intel P45,
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2, PC2-8500 (1066),
1GB Asus HD5770, PCI-E 2.0(x16)

I did however forget about the keyboard side of things bit annoying with the postal strikes and all.

STarted putting the case together last night, first time i have built a pc in 7 years. Got the hard drive in its cage and the PSU installed and read the motherboard manual :)

Must say the case is nice seems good quality and came with a nice little bag no idea why though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom