1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got the Camera but ....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by conington, Feb 17, 2003.

1. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have finally purchased my digital camera (Casio QV-R4) and a healthy 128MB SD Card. The camera and features are great but I really do not understand the best options when it comes to file size.

The camera offers

2304*1712
    2240*1680
    1600*1200
    1280*960
    etc.

I rarely print the pictures or have them printed, the camera is used as a family camera for days out and holidays etc. I cannot imagine that I would ever print anything larger than A4 and as such was wondering which size picture would be the best setting (I do not want to lose to much quality and am not sure how the sizes work v/s picture quality).

Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
  3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite easy to work out for yourself, just go out and take a number of identical pictures changing the resolution between each one. then come back indoors and print each one out at A4 size, the resolution to use is the one that you can't find fault with and if that is the lowest so much the better as you'll get more pictures into memory before you have to delete some

4. OGIII

OGIII

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take everything at 1280x960 - gives a good balance because it's way higher than needed for viewing on PC/DVD player but is high enough so that if you do decide to print one you get a good enough result at a reasonable size. And you'll get around 80-100 pics on a 128mb card.

Cheers
    OG

5. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you have the space or a cd burner I would opt for maximum resolution every time.

This provides so much more flexibility as when you get the image downloaded you may want to crop it or even copy a section of it for a letter.

You just never know what you may need the image for in the future. For example for a VideoCD photo album its pointless having resolution above 800x600, but thats with todays TVs. A few years down the line they may be capable of displaying 1600x1200 and you would then regret not having a better resolution.

6. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feedback, I am still a little unsure (forgive me I am new to Digital photography). my camera is capable of 4 MP, does this apply to all sizes or does the number of pixels reduce with the size? I have CD storage and am not overly worried about the file sizes, with this in mind would my mind set be best to just use the highest resolution possible?

Many Thanks

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would as once that resolution is reduced, you dont get it back, and you just dont know what the future holds for digital media playback in the future.

8. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The main thing with the more pixels the better is as mentioned before and that is cropping. If you take a 5m pixel shot and crop of half the pixels then print at A4 you might get away with a half decent photo, do the same with a 2m pixel shot an a blocky mess is all you will get.

Yes the 4m pixels is a maxim and if you use a lower res on the camera then the picture will be made up of a lesser amount of the pixels. You have paid for the 4m pixels so use them:rolleyes:

9. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have to agree with max resolution arguments. With memory getting cheaper too, I'm going over to using max resolution every time.

10. mab25

mab25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also agree with taking photo's at max resoultion but I don't agree that a 2mp photo printed on A4 results in a blocky mess.

I've printed from a finepix 2600 @ 2mp on an Epson C62 with A4 photo paper and the results are excellent.

As some of the other people have mentioned though, printing at a higher res is always the best option if you can afford the space on the camera media.

M.

11. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Always use the largest file size. Ragardless of your use, even if it's family pics.