Got the blu-ray but never watched it? But watching on the telly captivates you?

DrGekko

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

This is bit of an odd phenomenon, maybe just in our own household... mods, please move to the correct thread if this isn't it.

Basically, there are quite a few occasions when my wife and I are surfing channels after we've watched a tv programme together and then we'll find a classic movie on. My wife will continue watching and be thoroughly entertained. After a few minutes, I'll announce "My dear, we have this on blu-ray"... and the response almost always is the same... "But it's more fun on telly!" - you see, for me, putting on the blu-ray in the cinema room is bit of a mission... it's "movie time", for which time needs alloting and the kettle needs boiling with the addition of suitable movie snacks. However, when a movie appears on tv, we become transfixed, especially when it brings back enjoyable memories, usually of the first time we watched it. One example last night whilst flicking through the channels was that of Good Will Hunting - I remember watching this several times when it was released on DVD. When I saw it released on blu-ray, I purchased it claiming it to be a "classic" - have I watched it yet since buying it over a year ago? No. Yet when it appeared on tv during a particularly emotional scene between Damon and Williams, it seemed brilliant... as if watching it for the first time.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else goes through this, just wanted to share the moment with you all.

:hiya:

No never for me personally but I don't have a dedicated cinema room and watching a BD is no more hassle than watching a film on tv. So when I buy a blu it's watched almost instantly as the sound quality of my tv is utter pants and I love those DTS masters going through my system and I won't even go into picture quality .;)

Yes - and it's been a more frequent occurence since Sky Movies 007 went on air - have the box-set tucked away upstairs away from little fingers, and invariably channel hopping leads back to that channel every night at the minute!

Also, our AV kit is in a locked cabinet, again away from little fingers, so spinning a disc means locating the key in the kitchen, finding the disc upstairs then settling down. 9/10 times channel-hopping will win!

Hi :hiya:
No
If a movie I like is on TV and I've got it on Disc, no contest, I load it up and watch that instead
Even more so if its being shown on a commercial channel,nothing worse than adbreaks spoiling it.
BigCam

I've heard of this from people I've worked with but in their case it was when they had it on DVD. I couldn't believe anyone would put up with all the problems a TV transmission would have when you could watch an ad free DVD with 5.1 sound. Granted most of them didn't even know what 5.1 sound is let alone have it in their own living room. :) It gets even worse when someone who has a decent Blu-Ray set up watches the TV version which could be in SD, stereo and with ads.

:eek:
Bri

If its on TV and it peeks my interest and I have the disc of it I pop the disc in.

I often watch a very good film that I know my mum and dad will enjoy and take it round for them and it can stay unwatched over 6 month yet if its on TV they will watch it.
Once I was round and they was watching something on TV and I said you have it in better quality on disc and they said well watch it on TV and if its not finished be time we go to bed we watch the disc tomorrow.
I think its something to do with peoples psyche thinking if its on TV its live and there for more involving.

I very rarely watch movies on the TV now days,i really like to watch my movies in the dark best p/q and s/q :)

This.

I try to avoid watching films on TV nowadays unless it happens to be something I've never seen before, then I'll watch it just to see if it's worthy of a purchase.

Precious was the last film I watched on BBC2 a couple of months ago. Suffice to say, I didn't buy a copy.

Don't forget if it's on BBC it will take you 4% less time to watch it!

I never watch a film on commercial TV nowadays as the ads put me off and I rarely watch films on the BBC. I much prefer watching them on disc. As it happens, I've never seen God Will Hunting and watched it for a quarter of an hour the other night and thought it was a good film. So having had a taster I've now got it on my watch list and once it goes sub 5 quid I'll get it on blu.

figrin_dan said:
Don't forget if it's on BBC it will take you 4% less time to watch it!

This is the reason I struggle watching films on TV or Region 2s. That and ads which butcher the film pretty much. Never used to mind an interval at the cinema though

We have a rule at Soundstory Towers, we don't sit down to watch a film on any commercial channels, if we've got the DVD or Blu.

Though I stick to that rule, my wife doesn't !!

My missus does this all the time to me - I now insist on putting the Blu on if i have it - I'll search for it while she watches the TV one, queue it up ready to go and switch at an advert break (if i just stop the TV and faff with the disc, by the time its ready to go, she has wondered off to do something else!!!)

1) I rarely watch LIVE tv films with adverts (and only occasionally record them)

2) I will sometimes watch a film on tv for a particular scene if I catch it at the right time

3)If its one of my favourite films that isnt really surround sound essential or effects I will watch on BBC if Im in the mood (even if I have the blu)

I dont have a dedicated cinema room, so apart from surround sound /possibly hidef it would be exactly the same anyway lol (I have a pioneer plasma so I have to use my amp /speakers for sound anyway )

guilty for me.....

i dont have a dedicated room (but do have a shed load of kit in living room) and i will still watch stuff on sky movies, i think the key for me is rarely (when channel hopping) do i watch the entire thing, i will probably start looking around again before the film is finished.....:suicide:

I don't have a dedicated cinema room but I do have a PJ. I don't, however have a fixed screen and have to set it up every time I want to use the PJ. Set-up involves the use of a coffee table and washing line prop and can be a palaver. I watch BD's almost exclusively via the PJ and still prefer doing so over watching a film on TV, despite having to faff about setting up the screen.

I prefer watching them on TV, so you're not alone. Im not really sure why, I think because its not planned and picking that exact DVD/Blu Ray you want to watch out of your collection can be a tedious task so when the TV Channel has already made the choice for you its great.

Also when I put a movie on via disc I feel as if I have to watch it and not do anything else, like surf the net at the same time or something otherwise its a waste me putting it on. So I prefer it being on TV. Im a strange one it seems!

I prefer watching them on TV, so you're not alone. Im not really sure why, I think because its not planned and picking that exact DVD/Blu Ray you want to watch out of your collection can be a tedious task so when the TV Channel has already made the choice for you its great.

Also when I put a movie on via disc I feel as if I have to watch it and not do anything else, like surf the net at the same time or something otherwise its a waste me putting it on. So I prefer it being on TV. Im a strange one it seems!

You've hit the nail on the head - when I plan to watch a blu-ray, it's a real event and time is set aside to do this... like going to the movies. However, during casual TV watching in the background, if something decent comes on whilst channel hopping, we can spend a while watching it. I guess it's the fun of something random appearing on tv and the feeling of "Oh yeah, I haven't seen this in ages" or "this scene's classic..." - most times, I'll change the channel again or switch it off the TV to do something else. It's just odd that I have so many "classic" titles on blu-ray, yet have never played them as yet. I think I need to retire in order to get through them! :D

Yes I always find this is the case. Often you'll flick through the channels and find a film you like on. You've owned the Blu-ray for ages but never bothered to watch it. You don't intend to watch it on TV but you start to watch it and then can't stop. In my experience it is simply laziness. Sometimes it feels like effort to put a film on and pay attention, but if you stick something on you're not intending to watch, I think it is sometimes more enjoyable because you're more relaxed. That's probably just me though :D

i agree with the effort point - i have a quality pj and surround system (great amp courtesy of dr gekko) but despite having a pile of blu rays to watch, i often just end up watching the inferior stuff on sky movies.... just like snooloui

the thing was on sky movies the other night (older one) and i watched about 25 mins before managing to tear myself away by reminding myself that it is even better on the big screen

its a bit like when i buy a blu ray and then notice it in the cellophane 12 months later - i bought the star wars box set last xmas and haven't opened it yet!! I fully intend to watch them especially the older ones but just never seem to 'have the time' (despite watching some right rubbish some evenings)

having said that, if i had a cinema like dr gekko i would just put a fridge in the corner and live in there :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom