• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Got some new gear :)

miniyazz

Established Member
New%20camera%20stuff.jpg

Insurance payout for my old stuff getting nicked paid for the above!

Would have been nice to go full frame but the 6D is a bit feature-limited and ideally I would've wanted the 11-24mm f4 with it which just wouldn't have left me enough change for the rest.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Why so many spare batteries? Do you plan many long trips to no-electricity areas?

People might be shocked but I never ever had a single spare battery for any of my cameras. In extreme cases I can see a need for one spare battery. But three?

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Why so many spare batteries? Do you plan many long trips to no-electricity areas?

People might be shocked but I never ever had a single spare battery for any of my cameras. In extreme cases I can see a need for one spare battery. But three?
One in camera, one in grip and then a second for each perhaps? Might be doing a lot of video using liveview ;)

I bought two spares for my D750 based on previous experience with cameras, but I can get well over 1000 shots with one battery so only ever needed one spare, but nice to have back up just in case ;)

My Olly only gets around 250 shots per battery so I have 3 batteries for that too.

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
One in camera, one in grip and then a second for each perhaps? Might be doing a lot of video using liveview ;)

I bought two spares for my D750 based on previous experience with cameras, but I can get well over 1000 shots with one battery so only ever needed one spare, but nice to have back up just in case ;)

My Olly only gets around 250 shots per battery so I have 3 batteries for that too.
Maybe you're right. I am only basing my comment on my experience and same as you I can get well over a 1000 shots on a single battery / charge.

Even when tethered (the camera is on constantly then) it lasts for hours. Just need to make sure it is well charged.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Maybe you're right. I am only basing my comment on my experience and same as you I can get well over a 1000 shots on a single battery / charge.

Even when tethered (the camera is on constantly then) it lasts for hours. Just need to make sure it is well charged.
Well I was only speculating :p

I've done events where I've taken circa 2000 shots though so need at least one spare. I'm sure Dan said he took 4000 at one marathon :eek:

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I had four batteries, and it's just as well I did.

I'd often get onto the second set of batteries during a wedding.

Who only takes 1000 shots? we're in a digital era you know..

snerkler

Distinguished Member

So that's how you get so many good shots then, spray fire and hope for the best :p ;)

=adrian=

Distinguished Member

I sometimes do shoots that last 3-4 hours and get 10-15 shots in total.

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
Have to admit 1 battery has always seemed to be OK for me.
But I don't shoot all day.
Did get caught out the other week as we were just leaving a park and my battery went dead. Didn't help as it wasn't fully charged before I went out.

Remember a stabiliser will also chew battery.

I think the combination of 3/4 battery, 10fps shooting, testing video and stabiliser is what caught me out.

shotokan101

Banned

shotokan101

Banned

=adrian=

Distinguished Member
Is that shots or keepers @=adrian= ? :devil:
:hiya:

Shots. Depends on what the subject is really, but usually one or two keeper is enough to compose something usable.

Set the composition up, set the lights up, shoot a test shot (tethered of course). Start working on the set, add, remove light shooting tests. Once all is well. One final shot. Plus a couple with additional stuff to compose later in PS. If the shoot is not complicated you really don't have to shoot much (still takes a long time though, but it is mostly work on the set).

I could reduce the number of shots even further. Connect the camera straight to the TV / monitor using mini HDMI - HDMI cable. Enable live view and this way I don't even have to shoot that many test shots as I can see the results on the screen live. I usually can't be bothered with the though and just shoot tethered.

Don't get me wrong, if I do something with a splash for example I shoot hundreds... still one battery's enough though :smashin:

miniyazz

Established Member
You're right of course, I don't need so many spare batteries. But I stick two in the grip and use them til they're dead (or very nearly dead) with a couple of spares rather than debating with myself whether to take out and recharge them after every use. Better for battery health that way I think also, and of course it's nice to have the backup when I go off the beaten track for a week :)

I know the 70-300L doesn't have as much love as the 70-200 series but I decided I'd appreciate the extra reach/usability and one stop slower isn't the end of the world over my old 70-200 f4 (IS).

The real challenge now is knowing whether it will all fit in a Vertex 100 AW, in addition to a Canon 17-55. There's none near me to try out before ordering unfortunately :(

snerkler

Distinguished Member
:hiya:

Shots. Depends on what the subject is really, but usually one or two keeper is enough to compose something usable.

Set the composition up, set the lights up, shoot a test shot (tethered of course). Start working on the set, add, remove light shooting tests. Once all is well. One final shot. Plus a couple with additional stuff to compose later in PS. If the shoot is not complicated you really don't have to shoot much (still takes a long time though, but it is mostly work on the set).

I could reduce the number of shots even further. Connect the camera straight to the TV / monitor using mini HDMI - HDMI cable. Enable live view and this way I don't even have to shoot that many test shots as I can see the results on the screen live. I usually can't be bothered with the though and just shoot tethered.

Don't get me wrong, if I do something with a splash for example I shoot hundreds... still one battery's enough though :smashin:
Shoot sports and your shot count will go up considerably :p

Kei86

Prominent Member
Maybe it comes from shooting film where each shot costs money, but I'm with adrian on this. I've always worked with the aim that you get it right first time every time and generally that works, though where I'm not certain I'll take 2 or 3 shots. Doing it this way saves both time and money, not to mention helps reduce wear & tear on your camera.

Some nice new kit there, though I could never go back to aps-c ever again. Even "fullframe" FX isn't enough now due to my lust for full 645 digital.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Maybe it comes from shooting film where each shot costs money, but I'm with adrian on this. I've always worked with the aim that you get it right first time every time and generally that works, though where I'm not certain I'll take 2 or 3 shots. Doing it this way saves both time and money, not to mention helps reduce wear & tear on your camera.

Some nice new kit there, though I could never go back to aps-c ever again. Even "fullframe" FX isn't enough now due to my lust for full 645 digital.
Surely it depends on the type of shooting? With landscapes I might only take a handful, but sports it can be machine gun city ;)

Kei86

Prominent Member
Nope not even with sports for me. Sure I'll take more shots than I would with a landscape obviously as it's a different pace but I've never used continuous high as personally, I feel it takes the challenge and fun out of it. Heck I shoot most telephoto stuff with a manual focus lens which is even more of a challenge. It feels far more rewarding nailing a good shot on it's own like that rather than picking the best frame from what is essentially a low fps video.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Nope not even with sports for me. Sure I'll take more shots than I would with a landscape obviously as it's a different pace but I've never used continuous high as personally, I feel it takes the challenge and fun out of it. Heck I shoot most telephoto stuff with a manual focus lens which is even more of a challenge. It feels far more rewarding nailing a good shot on it's own like that rather than picking the best frame from what is essentially a low fps video.
I can understand that, and tbh since I have an AF system I can rely on I do take less shots with sports. But I do still rattle some off some times as occasionally you'll get an expression or something that you'd otherwise have missed. Each to their own and all that ;)

Member 55145

Distinguished Member
I can understand that, and tbh since I have an AF system I can rely on I do take less shots with sports. But I do still rattle some off some times as occasionally you'll get an expression or something that you'd otherwise have missed. Each to their own and all that ;)
Don't worry snerks, I agree with you.
While nailing a picture in one shot is a fantastic feeling and I do try my best. Coming back with a variety of shots where you can pick the best one is equally rewarding.

Just because you take lots of shots doesn't mean you are not taking the time to compose and time your shot. It can make the difference between a fantastic looking all round shot, or someone looking like they are having a stroke with a half shut eye.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom