1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got rid of my new plasma: how long till affordable 37" hd ready lcd will show up?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Llanowar, May 5, 2005.

1. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Almost the opposite of what you normally see, i had a plasma but returned it and now waiting for an lcd to come up.

I bought the new plasma last week, at this moment regarded as the best plasma around: the panasonic 37pa50e. I actually wanted to get the 37 inch sharp lcd, because of my very bright room, but got convinced by the salesman the contrast ratio of this panasonic was so high, daylight wouldn't bother it....boy was he wrong. The plasma reflected just as much as my old crt, and on top of that there were strange diagonal lines looking as if the glass was curbed (?!?). On top of that there was an audible buzz...which i later in the showroom noticed all plasma's had. Also the blacks weren't great, especially if you turned up brightness (which gave real great colours...but the blacks were like that of lcd) but it didn't bother me too much actually, so it won't bother me on a lcd i guess.

So, now i've got around 1650 to spend, and i really want a 37 inch hd ready (so dvi/hdmi connection) lcd screen. They don't have a buzz, are great at daylight viewing (i love watching a dvd on saturday or sunday afternoon) and have real hd ready resolution. But at the moment there doesn't seem to be a screen that has all the things i want at the price i'm able to spend, what screen should i wait for? Saw the philips 9986 and it's wonderful, but way too expensive....the sharp doesn't have dvi/hdmi. Anything else coming our way that i should have a watch?

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I think a 37" LCD may be tricky with your budget. You dont get as much for your money as you do with Plasma. The Sharp does have DVI (the ga5 doesnt, but i dont think they do a ga5 in 37"?) New sharps are on the way, aswell as Panasonics, Philips, Sonys etc but what the pricing will be like is anyones guess. If its anything like it is now, you may struggle a bit.

3. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you can settle for a 32" LCD, you may want to check out the Hitachi 32LD7200. Theres been some very pleased buyers on the forum, check the threads that are floating about.

If you really need a 37", this thread may be worth a look...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208732

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You need a Sharp LC-37GA4E, but would be £1800 or more. I have one and it is great! If you can wait the new range will be out soon, but the prices will probably start high?

5. bba21

bba21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how about the new Toshiba 37wl56? It is £1699 - available at unbeatable to pre-order at moment - don't know how long that will be. It as HDMI but no component. I don't know about picture quality as it is as yet unreleased.

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You could also wait for the Tosh 37WLT58 coming out in August I think, this will have two HDMI inputs and, unlike the 56 should have component.

7. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    August...just when i got used to the 37 inch :(

It's a pitty the prices of plasma coming down so much don't get followed by lcd's. The 32inches are very cheap...but the 37 inches keep being expensive.

Thanks for the information though, will keep an extra eye on those, especially the benq, sharp and toshiba!