Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Got problems with SKY 'breakup'? Try this fix.

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jona, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FIX FOR SOME SKY 'BREAKUP'/'BLOCKINESS' PROBLEMS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a PACE digibox for some years now, but recently the picture and sound have been breaking up on certain channels (I suspected it was those with lower bit-rates). This has been driving me mad, but I was not willing to spend a lot of money on getting a SKY engineer round to fix it for only a few of the channels.

I was tempted to: -
    (1) Try adjusting the dish myself (I decided against this fortunately).:suicide:
    or
    (2) See if a second-hand SKY box might help (as mine is quite old now).

HOWEVER, my ten year old son eventually came up with the answer! He had been chatting with one of his mates who's dad had experienced a similar problem. In their case, they moved their DECT phone base unit away from the SKY box (it was previously sitting on a side table next to it). Apparently this fixed the problem.

I thought this seemed a bit too good to be true, but I checked our Phillips DECT phone and sure enough it was situated within a few inches of our SKY box. I moved it a few feet away and BINGO, the problem went away!

Sorry if this has ever been mentioned before (I'm a newbie), but I thought it might save people a shed load of money knowing this.:clap:

Regards,
    Jonathan.

2. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    got a neighbour with a sky+ box that keeps blocking/freezing etc - he's had them out to it a few times with the box being changed for a new one etc. I will be round tomorrow to check for a DECT phone nearby - thanks for the tip

3. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you liked the tip. I'm guessing it'll only turn out to be the cause in a handful of cases, but you never know ! :)

I wonder if SKY mention this as a possibility when people call them to report a fault, before offering them the more costly option of a site visit.:devil:

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    whenever our sky picture breaks up I can guarantee that there is a taxi sitting down our street.

surely you would have thought that they would have tested it with all the other types of signal floating around :rolleyes:

had to ask a driver to turn his radio off the otherday as I was watching the last 5 mins off the leicester match, he looked at me as if i was some kind of ****

5. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gizlaroc - Looks like it's time to switch to cable!:suicide:

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you should check that your cable is double-shielded.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I have changed the cable but still the same.

then when we had sky+ installed I thought the new lnb may help but it didn't.

luckily we hardly ever get taxi's down our street so its not a real problem, but it is always on the odd accassion that I actually want to watch somthing :rolleyes: