Got Pj, Don't Got Progressive Scan - new player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Goof, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recently entered the world of Pj's, buying a 2nd hand Epson Powerlite 700c which I got up and running with a lot of gracious help from our own Gary Lightfoot!

I'd initially planned to go down the HCPC route but after a couple of weeks of messing around, fresh install and jerky pans I thought 'bugger this for a laugh' and gave up :p

I hooked the Pj up to my Pioneer DV444 and, tho I noticed the picture wasn't as good, it still did the job and seeing as I'm a n00bie it was still delighted at having a 7.5' screen :D

However, I've recently discovered my player doesn't support true PS, only a 3:2 pulldown. I've heard PS makes a huge difference when using a Pj and player combination...is this true/worth me changing players for?

If so, are there any recommended players with good PS performance that I could pick up 2nd hand for about the £100 mark?

TIA :)

2. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm surprised that you were having problems using a HCPC setup - this should give you both PAL and NTSC progressive output very cheaply.

3:2 pulldown is a de-interlacing method used in NTSC encoded disks - take a look on www.progressicescan.co.uk for a full explanation.

Getting true PAL and NTSC is still very expensive at the moment. The Philips 963 does both for around £600 if you want to import one, after that you're looking at the best part of £1,000 for an Arcam DV 88+

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    OK, 2:3 sequence is used when transferring film to video (ie 24fps to 60 frames per second). A great de-interlacer can recognise this relationship and do the de-interlacing artifact free. You need 2:2 recognition for 24FPS film to 50 fields per second video (pal).

To de-interlce stuff that is originally recorded from video requires different methods. DVD players with sage or sil503/504 chips can do this well. Off board video processors with these chipsets or alternate proprietry de-interlacers can be amazing too.

There are NO DVD players with prog scan, sh that will come remoetely close to a HCPC

Gordon

4. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the same vote as Goof. I was going to buy a prog scan DVD player, but now I am looking into a HCPC. The problem is that i can't find enough info on them. How much am i going to have to spend? What is an exact spec i need? What settings etc?

5. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, take a look at the avsforum on www.avsforum.com and select the HTPC section. It has got a full beginners guide and what components to get on it....

Have fun...

JP

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I suspect that when my HD-Leeza scaler arrives my own HTPC will be up for sale.

Gordon

7. Jonesthegas

Jonesthegas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Gordon,

Why is this better then an HCPC, especially if fitted with a Holo3D card?

Martin

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It doesn't crash.....it is easily controlled. It can de-interlace hi-def 1080i material using 2:3 pulldown or video based material using their own proprietry algorithm

I am not saying all HTPC's are unreliable and crash but many are. The HD-Leeza will offer consistent, very high quality performance and that's important I think.

Gordon

9. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the advice lads, TBH I think the problems I was having with HCPC were due to a dodgy DVD drive...no matter what I did there was stutter and I think it had problems with chpater transitions and would start pausing for up to minutes at chapter changes and get progressively worse, before eventually crashing :mad:

After all that I was also never going to underestimate the convenience of a player again...also the fact I don't get extra noise from the case fans (which I've already 7V modded).

Think I might just look back into HCPC and pick up a new drive, don't really think I can justify a new player atm!

10. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On second thoughts regarding HCPC, maybe not!
    Just hooked up the HCPC and remembered the other problem, the tearing is TERRIBLE on my machine, even with refresh set at 72\75Hz :rolleyes:

Also, tho there are less 'jaggies' the other thing I noticed about using HCPC is that my picture seems more blurry and grainy than using my player for some strange reason (and this is using NVDVD2 which is amongst the best players for a GF4).

Think I may have to go for a PS player after all :(

11. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So can this tearing not be sorted out? If I had a HCPC set up would I have to constantly be tweaking settings each time i wanted to use it?

12. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I haven't been able to sort it out my machine yet - setting R1 discs to 72Hz and R2 discs to 75Hz is supposed to sort it but hasn't for mine. There's also the issue of jerky pans. I think some machines just don't like HCPC :(

And as for the tweaking, it's supposed to be fine once you get everything sorted but tbh I found the whole experience a pain in the ass! (tho I'm sure plenty will disagree). If you get the right blend of equipment/software I'm sure it's fine but it can be a minefield too!