Got myself a HK AVR8500

Dimmy

Ex Member
Reaction score
Well, this has to be the bargain of the century. I've managed to get a Harman Kardon AVR-8500, new and boxed, for £999 :eek: :clap:.

Quite a ridiculous price I think you'll agree :p. Especially from Sevenoaks...

And finally, something that can drive my speakers full-throttle & not die whilst doing so.

From those in the know, is there anything I should know about this receiver before it gets here (which isn't going to be for a few weeks)??

Russraff? Spligsey?

I don't think I could've found a better piece of kit for this price :p.

Dimmy's very happy :D.

Oh and, where can I get an equipment rack big enough to house it???

Hi Dimmy
You jammy sod.
You will be very pleased when you get to use the h/k its a very powerful amp that sounds superb.Only issue is it can get very hot when played at high levels so needs plenty of space round it.Set up does take slightly longer as each input needs setting up separately but is a good thing as it makes the amp very flexible.Stereo sound is also fab so well done dimmy you got yourself a bargain, get your weight lifting belt on too as it also weighs a ton.
When are you getting it delivered.
Cheers Gonzo.:)
Dimmy i had to have my cabinet made by a joiner cost £185 .

Mine sits (just about) in an Apollo rack.

Beware, it gets hot, even operating at normal volumes, so give it plenty of room to breathe.

Cheers Gonzo. It's getting here in about four weeks (I have to fetch it). I still can't quite believe the price myself, just couldn't resist :D. It was the current output of the poweramp channels that appealed to me the most - aswell as the rather high WPC lab test figures. I basically couldn't find fault with the poweramps, and from what I read, the processing 'aint half bad either.

Interesting what you say about it getting hot - I don't know if I'll be able to use it until I get a dedicated equipment rack, as my 1803 used to sit at the very bottom of a huge tower of equipment stacked on a table. I've seen a few equipment racks big enough, but they don't support the weight of the amp (25kg).

Can't wait to get it hooked up to my missions :smashin:.

I'll be posting an in-depth review when it gets here :D.

Thanks John, I'll check it out :smashin:.

Hey Dimmy, sounds like you got yourself a great bargin there, can I ask why it was sooo cheap, was this a special deal for you or is this a general Sevenoaks special offer?? The websites I've seen it on have it at around 1700ish!!

Ryan

Dimmy,

I think that you will like the amp, and for £900 :eek: I still think that as an all round amp the 8500 is the one to beat; though I prefer the AZ1 in AV terms, the 8500 is far better for music, usability, flexibility and musicality. Hope you enjoy the power!

By the way, what does "WPC figures" mean?

Russell

Originally posted by rscott4563
Hey Dimmy, sounds like you got yourself a great bargin there, can I ask why it was sooo cheap, was this a special deal for you or is this a general Sevenoaks special offer?? The websites I've seen it on have it at around 1700ish!!

Ryan

Yes, this was a special deal for me. If you buy it yourself from them you'll pay £1500.

:smashin:

I have the same amp, I purchased it form Spligsey. I haven't had that much time playing about with it. Sound wise its brilliant it easily drives my cdm9nts even at silly sound levels, which I have a tendency to do after a few beers.

As stated eralier it does throw out some heat nad is huge, it does not filt on my optimum rack. Spigsley gave me a quick run through.

Logic 7 is brilliant, you know you have something special when you look at the back of the unit and see and fell the quality of the various(loys) of connections.

Enjoy:D

Thanks Supra - can't wait to get it, got a servo 15 on the way soon too :smashin:.

I'm curious - how does someone of your tender years (17) manage to afford a £1k amp?

Not meaning to be rude or intrusive, just curious due to the fact that at 17 I didn't really have £1k to throw around at anything. Did you leave school early and get a job?

Originally posted by Juzminator
I'm curious - how does someone of your tender years (17) manage to afford a £1k amp?

Not meaning to be rude or intrusive, just curious due to the fact that at 17 I didn't really have £1k to throw around at anything. Did you leave school early and get a job?

I saved up £1k from a part time job, what else?

Plus I sold my old 1803 and DV565A, which raised about £300. So I only needed to save up £700 for the amp, £500 of which I already had.

I'm still at college, work 6-10pm shifts every weeknight after college, this is how I get my pennies :).

Did I mention I've got a 2800mkII, 775e's, 77c1 and 771e's. Lets forget the 21" CRT...

Originally posted by Dimmy
Yes, this was a special deal for me. If you buy it yourself from them you'll pay £1500.

So what are you blackmailing the manager with, let us all know we could all do with a bargin like that!! :laugh:

Dimmy that is a great price. How did u do it? Which Seveoaks did you buy from?

I reckon Dimmy must have some very dodgy pictures of the manager and a farm animal :eek: with which he's blackmailing him, how else could you get a £600-£700 discount on a £1700 piece of brand new equipment from a Sevenoaks store!! :laugh: :laugh:

juzimanator-how does a 16 year student afford a £1670 amplifier? it is called doing **** loads of part time work whenever you have free time, also the brilliance of spending 90% of the money you earn on yourself
fred
p.s.dimmy-you are one dodgy bugger ;)

Yeah I bet a lot of us would like to have the benefit of living with our parents and not having to pay mortgage/rent/tax etc...
I reckon most 16-18 year olds with part time jobs probably have more money to spend on themselves than the average 30 year old with a house and other half! :suicide:

It can't be fair, "mam I'm coming home!!" :laugh:

:hiya:

When I lived at home and worked evenings/weekends my folks took 60% to contribute to the household. Didn't leave much left for me but it teaches you the value of money (that's what they told me lol):) I think Labour have the same idea only they like to take their cut a bit more stealthily:(

If I didn't get stuff for free I'd be scuppered upgrade wise now I've bought a house. My disposable income has vanished into the ether :(.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom