1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my X800 XT :)

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by ShinObiWAN, Jul 22, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its quick, very quick.

I upgraded from a 9800pro and its around twice as fast in everything - even quicker when using it with AA and AF.

I had FarCry running at 1024x768 with 8xAA and 8xAF, it was like butter :)

If your interested I got my off ebay, the guy had around 12 but I've just had a quick check and it looks like they've gone! Eventually paid £369 including postage.

Come on DooM III, I'll have you now!

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Glad you managed to get your hands on one and your very happy. I'd usually personally not buy from ebay on an item such as a g card but I can see why you were soley tempted being as you can't find them in stock anywhere :(

I've just placed my order and have been advised that my Winfast 6800 GT is on it's way to me and should arrive tomorrow:)
    I couldn't hold out any longer and since the GT seems to keep up with the X800 XT on most of the benchies I've seen thought it a good buy at £317:)

By the way you can see how your system is likely to perform with doom 3 here if you've not already seen:-

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

:hiya:

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    ShinObiWAN,

Could you please tell me whether you got a component video break-out cable with your x800 please?

Cheers

Rob

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No component video breakout cable with mine.

Its a built by ATI job, meaning the box is branded ATI. All I got was the card, an installation booklet, drivers & a couple of other cd's (games & DVD), S-video cable, composite cable and an S-video to composite adaptor.

A very basic package but all I wanted was the card.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    My 6800 GT has effortlessly overclocked to ultra speeds and I'm getting 10976 marks in 3dmark2003 with my mid ranged cpu and ram (XP2700+, 1024 MB PC2700 Dual channel ddr). It's running at temps of 75 deg under load so apparently I've still got plenty of overclocking potential before I reach OTT temps (max spec'd temp is 120deg :eek: ). It's a huge beast that takes up a pci slot but isn't as noisey as we were led to believe. Can't wait till I can afford an A64 set up and really see what this card is capable off.

What benchmark scores are you getting for your X800XT?

Bring on doom3 I say...................... :rotfl:

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't have 3dmark installed.

Benchies mean next to nothing in real world gaming terms. I can tell you that I've got no problems with bottle necks on my 3.4 P4 but don't see the point in overclocking the card since its fairly quick as it is.

Also I think you'll find that you will never actually get the core to 120c. Way before that you'll see artifacts and crashes all over the place. No GPU or CPU just keeps clocking until the rated temp is reached, neither can you keep clocking as long as the chip is cool. Prometia and Vapochill units prove that.

Glad you've got some added value to the GT.

Definitely looking forward to Doom3, 7.1 and an 8ft image, 'specially when the lights are out :) Whens' it released again :D

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    yeah it seems the 6800 cards max out at 470mhz as its the core limitation. anthing above is unstable

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've now got my Geforce 6800 GT in a A64 3500+ set up I built Wednesday. I'm well happy as everything is up and running sweetly and I'm getting 3d2003 marks 12000+ clocked to ultra speeds. The points increase over my existing system is not that much more in 3dmark2003 as that's just a measure of the g cards performance really. I benched on my old system with 3dmark2001 which is a more overall system benchmark and got around 14500 marks. My new rig is getting 22500 points quite a marked improvement :smashin:
    The biggest noticable difference is with joint ops. I can run at 1280 x 1024 everything maxed with full AF (no AA- don't need at this res imo) and still get >50 fps at stock speeds (350/1000).

I'm really looking forward to pulling down my blackout blind, putting on my HD600's and loading up doom3. I reacon it's going to be a real pant filler :eek:

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Looks like nvidia are looking at bringing back the old "join 2 cards together" routine ! I've been reading that it will double the performance of the cards, but it will need to be done on PCI express.
    See here
    I remember the days when I had 2 Voodoo 2 cards joined together !

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    ouch almost £800 notes to go SLI.

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its expensive but immagine what having 2 cards will do to games like doom 3 and HL2!

doom is said to need 512mb of video card memory to run it on full settings, there are no cards like that available just now right?
    SO it might be possible with 2 cards joined as one.

Im also thinking to get the X800XT to replace my 9800pro.
    Im going over to the states this week so i might get it there if I find it!

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Or you need a super fast PC with 2Gb of fast memory to put it on Ultra high settings.

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

I thought ID software have stated that the ultra mode will only unlock if a 512mb card is detected?

14. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Not according to the benchmarking at Hard[OCP], they state that with the top of the range Nvidia card and 2Gb of RAM they could run the Ultra High settings.

At least thats what I remember :)

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Cool.. i might be in luck then

Cheers M8 :thumbsup:

16. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Runs slow though according to Id's Carmack in an interview on www.megagames.com

Apparently there's a hell of a lot of texture information passed to the graphics card since they all uncompressed. The 256Mb cards rely on paging from main ram which requires around 50Mb of transfers per video frame or to put it another way, 3Gb of bandwidth over the AGP bus for a 60 frames per second display rate, yes thats 3Gb sent over the AGP every second. This is before any vertex, shader or polygon information is sent! So you can imagine that it would be a little chuggy :)
    Whereas the 512Mb cards can *just* fit 500Mb of full uncompressed textures required for the average level into memory and therefor perform far better than a 256Mb card in a heavily spec'ed machine.