• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Got my speakers. Please help me choose a receiver and a Sub

gdourado

Standard Member
Hi,

How are you doing?
Today I got a set of speakers for my new home cinema configuration.
I got a pack of B6W speakers, mint at a sweet price.

Here is what I currently have:

- Blu ray player: Sony BDP-s760
- Center Speaker: B&W CC6 S2
- Front Speakers: B&W 602 S2
- Rear Speaker: B&W 601 S2

So i'm currently looking for a receiver and a subwoofer to complete the system.

I want a receiver wich can do DTS-HD and Dolby trueHD and has a good quality. As for the sub, I'm completely clueless...

I can get a sweet deal at an Harman Kardon AVR 255. Is it a good choice?

Look forward to hear from you!
Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?
The HK amp is supposed to sound good but have heard things about firmware issues etc on them so may not be the best buy. The B&W speakers suit warmer sound amps so should look at Denon, Yamaha, Marantz and HK recievers. Without a budget it is hard to recommend any particular model. IF you are quick then there are some good deals on last years models still or you can wait for the new models to come out.
As for subs you will not go far wrong with a BK Electronics sub. These start from £200 for the Gemini II but worth paying a little extra for the XLS200/300/400 or even Monolith.

gdourado

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
By budget is around 600 Euros.
I also saw a model by Yamaha. It's the RX-V667. It's 480 Euros.
Is it a good receiver?

Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 667 should be a reasonable reciever and is the current model. It may be worth looking to see if you can hunt down a Yamaha 765 or 1065. These are last years models and are currently being sold cheap so represent a real bargain. They are also a level above or more from the 667 so should give better sound quality. IF you are in Europe the BK subs may not be available as they are direct from the manufacturer in the UK.

gdourado

Standard Member
Hi...

I'll check those Yamaha models.
Indeed I'm in Portugal.
Any good alternatives for a sub in the 300-400 Euros range? Or am I being to cheap?

Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
300-400 euros should be enough for a reasonable sub. Look for subs made by Tannoy, Wharfedale or Monitor Audio and you should not go too far wrong.

gdourado

Standard Member
Hi...

So, I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a Yamaha RX-V 1065, but then I saw the Denon 2310.
I read somewhere that it is better than the Yamaha.
Is it really? The main use will be movies, and the Denon is 200 Euros more than the Yamaha.

Please advise!

Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Denon and Yamaha are of a similar level performance wise and I do not think it is really worth the 200 euros over the Yamaha. The only way to tell this is to demo them both and pick the one you like the best. Reviews are a good pointer for models to look at but will never be able to say if one reciever is worth paying more than another.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom