1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my SonyEricsson W800i

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by IanPM, Oct 21, 2005.

1. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now, I realise this is a phone. But I wanted to raise what I consider to be an important point.

That is, that the W800i works in exactly the way I want it to. The software is really slick too. The phone basically seems to have two options. The first is, you can load music on with the included software. The other option is just to plug the phone into a USB socket, and dump your MP3's into the MP3 folder on the memory stick.

Now, why is it that Sony's real mp3 players aren't a bit more like this.

Firstly, if you took all the phone bits out of the W800, and stuck a 20gb hard drive on it, it would be the perfect MP3 player. It has a wonderful colour screen. Couple that with more storage, and it would be a top MP3 player. You could even leave the 2mp camera in the package for a bit of a laugh.

So, why can SE manage this, and SCE can't?

Confusing.

By the way, the headphones you get with the W800 are basically EX71's. Which is pretty good. Its odd that you can plug any headphones into the phone too, proper closed headphones would make for an interesting hands free kit!

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    I use a card reader to get large files across as I hate messing around with that stupid grey cable.

It's far from a Walkman phone as Sony claim though is it, it's nearly identical to my K750i and that has the most basic music playing option possible. All it has to offer is the playlists. It took me ages to work out how to pausa, FF and reverse too, oh and how do you get the damn media player to play fullscreen?. Good that it accepts AAC though.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What are you talking about? I think it works great as a music player!

4. DiGdUb

DiGdUb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the w800i's firmware has more music-friendly functions than the k750i.

5. recsnmisc

recsnmisc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys know it its possible to flash the k750i with w800i firmware and actually make it a k750i "on the outside" a w800i "inside"?Yes its true. :smashin:

6. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes indeed. I was thinking about this, but the style of the W800i is slightly more interesting, plus I think it has a better lens cover for the camera. Plus you get more memory thrown in, and the decent headphones, and hands free thing that lets you plug in any headphones you like :)

But a lot of people probably prefer the 750i :)

7. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    Such as?, only think I can think of is the flight mode and that it comes with a 512mb card. Doesn't really alter it's functionality much being able to use it while the phone is off, I think of it as a sleep mode. Useful if you were going to play tunes for hours on end though.

8. DiGdUb

DiGdUb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like when you press the return button all the way to get back to the main screen, the music does not stop in the w800i. also, the w800i sounds louder than the k750i. and yes, i have owned the k750i before and now uses the w800i.

9. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    Well how do you stop it playing then?, just unplugging the head phones?. I just minimize the thing if I need to do other things, I would have thought exiting the media player should always stop a song.

10. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was under the impression that the media player on the W800 was better, but I've not really played with the K750 media player :)

11. DiGdUb

DiGdUb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for the w800i, just press the play button at the side of the phone.

12. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    Oh right, i've never actually used that music button, forgot it was there!.

13. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I looked at my friends K750i last night, and I have to say, the W800 music player is one hell of a lot better.

K750 owners should consider flashing the w800 firmware if they use the phone for MP3s.

14. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Quick questions
    I have this phone and when I dragged MP3 directly to the phone the player bleated about the tracks not having been transfered by Disc2Phone. Have you actually done a direct copy?

The supplied Memory Stick shows up as mass storage if I connect the phone via USB but I can't see the phone memory. If I connect the MS with a card reader it doesn't show up at all. What are your experiences?

15. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    What the hell is disc2phone?, never even heard of it. Is that some software that comes with the W800i?.

I've copied music to the phone (K750i) in a number of ways, one direct transfer to the phones memory card, two via bluetooth which took ages, three via SE File manager with data cable. Didn't like any of those transfer methods so now I take the duo out and stick it in a my card reader and use that as I hate messing with that grey cable.

16. dm_irish

dm_irish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    disc2phone is the SW that comes with W800i, it works fine with the k750i
    and can be downloaded from sony site.
    however a usb card reader is by far the easiest way to get tracks on
    to the card if you have a large card, it takes about 5 mins to fill my 1GB card
    that way rather that 30 or so via usb cable and disc2phone.

on the way the players work a lot of the player features above like the play button, fwd/back by holding down volume etc work the same way for the k750i as the w800i, but i understand the on screen interface etc is better on the w800i

17. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I know what you are doing, because I got a similar message.

I put my MP3s in the MP3 folder on the memory stick.

When you plug your phone into the USB cable, as long as you have installed all the drivers, you will be able to access the Memory stick as a removable drive. Simply put the MP3s you want in the MP3 folder.

I haven't had much of a play yet, it seems to support folders, but how many levels I couldn't say.

18. dm_irish

dm_irish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at least 2 levels anyway, i have a fair few in MP3>band>cd1>
    type structure.

19. HOTDOGSHEP

HOTDOGSHEP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Own The K750i And The Sound Is Far Superior Than My Dedicated Sony Nwhd1 Network Walkman . Looks Like Im Gonna By The W800i Headphones And A Gig Card. Any Cheep Prices Out Threre I Will Be Glad To Hear.

20. alike

alike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AMc, I dunno whether you're talking about the w800i or the k750i but i was setting up a friends k750i on her computer the other day and the phone memory doesnt come up at all, just the memory card. this is gonna be interesting with their new w900i which comes with 470mb of INTERNAL memory (expandable to 2gb with memory sticks) so i guess they are gonna fix this problem. but does anyone think that (even) 2gb is not enough memory to put a decent amount of tunes on?

21. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Sorry, I was referring to the W800i (as in the thread title).

Still baffled why my memory stick won't show up in my card reader (with the adapter) but does show up with the phone connected via the USB cable. I would prefer to be able to use it direct. The lights flash on the card reader when you insert the stick but it doesn't register in Windows. Is it 'hidden' by default in some way?

The phone memory is a pain. The Sony software only sporadically recognises the phone but the mass storage comes up everytime. I resorted to sending images from the camera across via infrared and then set the camera to point to the MS - taking up valuable tune storage :(

22. IanPM

IanPM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You may have better results picking stuff up off the phone if you use software like Float's Mobile Agent http://fma.sourceforge.net and bluetooth/USB cable.

FMA allows you to do a load of very cool stuff. Including downloading and uplaoding from phone memory.

23. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,072
    Get a cheap Sandisk card reader, they read duo's direct with no need for that daft adapter thing.