Got my Samsung SP50L7HX today and I'm not happy

S

Strideristhebes

I only ask before my jap dreamcast keeps jumping, and my pal modded xbox does the same. I also thought I could use my VGA capable to link my Dreamcast up but that doesn't seem to work either.

It plays NTSC dvds fine though so I'm a little confused...

I've been playing around with this all day and it's nowhere near as good as I was expecting. I play a lot of games, and so far I've had no success.

The first thing I tried was the Xbox and when it's in 480 or 720 the screen constantly jumps and is extremely off putting. I then stuck my Japanese Dreamcast into it via the vga box and a picture doesn't even come up. I also tried it via RGB and the picture jumps...

The thing is I have a switched jap gamecube and that's fine. so I'm guessing that the DC is simply incompatible.

My DVD is also far from perfect at the moment, but I'm hoping that's down to the fact that the machine itself is on its way out.

So far I've not been impressed at all :(

I use my XBOX outputting NTSC at 480p, 720p and 1080i via component and I've had no "jumping" problems and over 80% of my DVD collection is NTSC Region 1 and again I haven't had any problems with it via HDMI. I've not tried VGA but I have connected the PC at 60Hz with no problems.

It sounds like either your dreamcast and xbox have a common problem which would be quite a coincidence or there's a problem with you TV... :(

KableMan said:
I use my XBOX outputting NTSC at 480p, 720p and 1080i via component and I've had no "jumping" problems and over 80% of my DVD collection is NTSC Region 1 and again I haven't had any problems with it via HDMI. I've not tried VGA but I have connected the PC at 60Hz with no problems.

It sounds like either your dreamcast and xbox have a common problem which would be quite a coincidence or there's a problem with you TV... :(

It shows that the pc slot is being used, but it just says no signal on the screen

I wouldn't mind if the DC was fine in rgb but that moves to the left and right every now and then. I don't understand it as my Jap Gamecube via rgb is absolutely great.

I've ordered some official cables (my xbox ones cost me £5) for £30 via courier, as some people seem to think that the official ones are the best. I've also got a Gamecube component lead on the way. Guess I'll find out for definate in the next few days...

I've got my new samsung to day, but it doesn't seem to play anything before the current generation of consoles. I get a jumpy picture via RGB for my Dreamcast, lots of jerking on my japanese saturn, and jerking on psx games when played on my ps2, the jerking is also evident on my jap n64.

I don't know if this is a one off problem with my tv or if this is standard for all dlps.

I'm hoping it's the former, because if this is a general problem with older consoles, I've got a very, very tough decision to make...

I take it your inputing a 60hz feed? :)

Shouldnt be. Should do both. :)

I don't know if this is relevent, but my U.S Dreamcast has stopped outputting RGB on ANY TV for a while now. It's fine with S-video though.
Liksang sell DC leads & stuff if you're interested. (you probably know that).

It sounds like you may have a faulty set, I've experienced none of these issues :(

:hiya:

definitely sounds like a problem with the tv or set up, the SP50 seems to not care whats thrown at it and always gives me an excellent pic. :smashin:

br14n said:
:hiya:

definitely sounds like a problem with the tv or set up, the SP50 seems to not care whats thrown at it and always gives me an excellent pic. :smashin:
have you actually run older consoles on it though? It just doesn't make sense that it can play some stuff, yet can't run others under the same inputs...

Can't say I've tried a Dreamcast but XBOX using HD and SD no problem, PS2 no problem, gamecude no problem.

Well, I've just got some offcial leads from work, switched all the settings to 480 720, etc. Then activated high def mode my pressing l and r triggers and clic king in the thumbstics, it's still jumping on the menu screen :(
Guess this needs to go back...

Contact the Samsung techies helpline first. They're very helpful.

Jumping??? is the xbox menu screen moving around or is the whole screen jumping? As the menu does move about alot now.

supermackem said:
Jumping??? is the xbox menu screen moving around or is the whole screen jumping? As the menu does move about alot now.

Nah I know the menu moves around :)

it's more like stuttering. The fact that none of my ntsc consoles seems to work suggests that maybe the tv isn't converting a 60 hertz signal properlly.

I went into the service menu and reset the TV, but that didn't do anything, I didn't touch anything else though.

Right then, I phoned Samsung service engineer (that is handily based in bournemouth) and they iimediately put me through to Samsung. As soon as I explained the problems to her, she thinks it's a geomtry issue.

However, she did say that I should try switching the TV to NTSC first (although she doesn't think this will make a difference). Sadly, I'm at work so need to rely on my technically incompetant wife. Does anyone know where I need to go on the money to switch the tv from Pal to NTSC?

I've spoken to samsung about my sp50 problems and they think it could be a geometry issue. however, they want me to switch the tv from pal to ntsc first to see if that makes a diffrence. can anyone tell me how to do this from the remote as I'm at work and my wife is stupid ;)

Strideristhebes said:
I've spoken to samsung about my sp50 problems and they think it could be a geometry issue. however, they want me to switch the tv from pal to ntsc first to see if that makes a diffrence. can anyone tell me how to do this from the remote as I'm at work and my wife is stupid ;)
The TV automatically switches. Press the INFO button to see what format it has detected.

cjgpers said:
The TV automatically switches. Press the INFO button to see what format it has detected.

I thought that would be the case.

Anyway, the TV is now being picked up early next week and engineers will attempt to fix the problem. Apparently quite a few people have complained about my TV's symptons recently, so they're confident it can be fixed.

I asked about sending the tv back for a replacement but Dixons won't accept it unless it's unfixable. It's a pain in the arse, but life is to short, so I'll simply wait for its return and dream of playing Outrun 2 in 480 :clap:

Dixons. Part of the DSG group that owns PC World and Currys, and you'll find another current thread on here with someone with exactly the same reply from Currys.

These stores are notorious for this tactic.

It's simple - if your set is faulty you are entiled to a full refund or a replacement. Your choice - not theirs. If they refuse and try and fob you off with a repair they are breaking the law.

Contact your local Trading Standards Office. I'll put money on it that they've had similar complaints about DSG Group stores before. Watch Dixons jump when they call.

This link may be of interest to you.

the_pauley said:
Dixons. Part of the DSG group that owns PC World and Currys, and you'll find another current thread on here with someone with exactly the same reply from Currys.

These stores are notorious for this tactic.

It's simple - if your set is faulty you are entiled to a full refund or a replacement. Your choice - not theirs. If they refuse and try and fob you off with a repair they are breaking the law.

Contact your local Trading Standards Office. I'll put money on it that they've had similar complaints about DSG Group stores before. Watch Dixons jump when they call.

This link may be of interest to you.

Yeah I've seen that thread, and I think I made a comment about never having any problems with them in the past... DOH!!!

I'll give them a phone tomorrow I think. If the deliver the new TV on the same day, that it makes sense for me to chase up on them.

The above thread that I mentioned to you where the guy was having the same problem you were, with Currys refusing a replacement?

Check it out - happy ending within the past few hours! :clap:

Go get Dixons mate!

The latest part in this sorry chapter of woe and misery goes thus...

I spoke to Dixons this morning and got in touch with a very helpful staff member who basically said that they will send an engineer out on Monday. The engineer is not going to attempt to fix the tv in any way, he's just coming out to see if it is suffering from the symptons I have described. If it is I'm getting a replacement TV.

Obviously my one concern is that he's going to turn around and say that there's nothing wrong with my TV, it's just not compatible with NTSC games machines. The Pauley is convinced that it's compatible with both PAL and NTSC signals (which stands to reason becasue my Jap Cube and Region 1 dvd's work on it).

Fingers crossed that they don't try and fob me off...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom